ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
Rudi Rubiandini was considered a clean man in a corrupt industry, until authorities arrested him and accused him of taking $700,000 in bribes

Indonesia has been stunned and saddened by the arrest of Rudi Rubiandini, chief of the country’s top oil-and-gas regulator, SKK Migas, on corruption charges. In a country plagued with graft, Rubiandini had been seen as a clean and upstanding figure — a respected academic and technocrat who had pledged to fight corruption in Indonesia’s lucrative energy sector.

Rubiandini, who took over SKK Migas in January following a brief stint as Deputy Energy Minister, is accused of taking $700,000 in bribes from an oil-trading company; the sum is a record high among the cases pursued by Indonesia’s Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK). In a late-evening swoop Tuesday, KPK investigators seized stacks of U.S. and Singaporean banknotes and a BMW motorcycle from his home; they also arrested a man who allegedly handed the money and the motorcycle to Rubiandini and an executive of Kernel Oil, a Singapore-based company.

“I didn’t commit an act of corruption,” Rubiandini told reporters on Wednesday, before he was transported to a KPK detention center. “But [what I did] seems to be categorized as [accepting a] gratuity.” President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has temporarily suspended Rubiandini from his post.

Rubiandini is a mining expert who was twice named best lecturer at the prestigious Bandung Institute of Technology and won kudos earlier this year when he pledged to crack down on contractors that illegally traded or sold their exploration licenses. The oil-and-gas sector, which contributes 20% to 30% of Indonesia’s income, has a long history of corruption. In the past few years, the KPK has been investigating graft cases involving energy bosses such as Rachmat Sudibyo, a retired director general of oil and gas at the Energy Ministry, and Suroso Atmomartoyo, a former director of refining at the state oil-and-gas company Pertamina. Both men deny any wrongdoing.

“There is a corrupt system [in the oil-and-gas industry], and the KPK needs to investigate down to the roots, especially the so-called oil mafia,” says Metta Dharmasaputra, a business researcher and former investigative journalist, referring to oil traders and companies that wield an outsize influence in Indonesia’s oil-and-gas industry.

Since its establishment in 2003, the KPK, modeled after Hong Kong’s highly successful Independent Commission Against Corruption, has prosecuted almost 100 government officials, lawmakers and others. But fighting bribery in the oil industry will be an uphill battle, given the entrenched nature of graft in the energy sector. Rubiandini’s case, Metta says, “is just the tip of the iceberg.”

Indonesia: Arrest Underscores Endemic Corruption in Energy Sector | TIME.com

The same old story, a man considered smart and wise couldn't rejected the bribe, even saying its not corruption:hopelessness:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks for the info ferdie which I'm also following in other media.

IMO this Time report is crap journalism....it starts....'Indonesia is stunned and saddened'....nonsense...most Indonesians are so immunized they have given up. They would rather rally behind a soccer team than care about the way their leaders behave!
Also 'The KPK is modeled after the Hong Kong ICAC'...utter nonsense. I was in Hong Kong in 1973-4 when the ICAC was formed...it was 'Independant'...not one person from HKG was on its team...they were recruited from outside HKG and the first arrow was aimed at the HKG Police Force and its corrupt expat officers...anyone remember Police Chief Godber

Hong Kong ICAC - About ICAC - Brief History

The consequence of the arrest of Rudi I await...seems like his defence is 'why would I do this for only US$700,000'...it's plausible....why indeed!

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
@davita, the truth is it was shocking because the guy got caught so soon, not after the election :icon_smile:

On ICAC, I watched a movie about it, but there's an anticlimax on the story, the police attack the ICAC office and there's an amnesty given as the result.