Shipping cost, Tax ?

RJackson

May 20, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a freight shipping company from the UK to Bali to move my families personal stuff.

Have any of you used any companies in the past? Any recommendations?

Also would I need to pay taxes on certain items?

Thanks

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a freight shipping company from the UK to Bali to move my families personal stuff.

Thanks
You're gonna have to say what type of visa you are here on.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Give DHL a call they have plenty of offices around Bali. They should be able to quote by grams and what the items are.

Edit: Brand new items are subject to import tax.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
On retirement visa
Ok bad news. On the retirement visa (unless they've changed it recently) you are NOT allowed to bring anything into the country untaxed and whatever you bring they will absolute gut you for in custom duties. You are far better advised to store or sell your stuff in the UK and just buy everything you need here new - in the end it will be far, far cheaper and with much less headache.

Sry but thems the facts!

Reactions: Balifrog

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Ok bad news. On the retirement visa (unless they've changed it recently) you are NOT allowed to bring anything into the country untaxed and whatever you bring they will absolute gut you for in custom duties. You are far better advised to store or sell your stuff in the UK and just buy everything you need here new - in the end it will be far, far cheaper and with much less headache.

Sry but thems the facts!

I confirm.
Looked at the subject 4 years ago when retiring here.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
However, when travelling here it is worth buying as much baggage allowance as you can. As long as you do not have new items in original wrapping and with price tags you can expect to pass through customs without problems. Not much of a consolation if you were looking at bringing a large consignment of stuff but at least you can bring laptops or whatever subject to advice above. And remember you are only allowed to enter with one litre of alcohol per person. Many people get caught by buying duty free alcohol on the way thinking that they can bring a number of bottles. Sadly the excess is taken and you watch it poured out.

Reactions: Mark and Balifrog

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Hello everyone,

Thanks
By the way, you mentionned "family" ? If the wife is Indonesian, there is maybe a way for her to send it as "returning home shipment" or something like that ?
The old hands on here may know more about it ?
It was the way we did (in a previous) life when moving with my ex Thai Mrs from France to Thailand.

Brian_Chapman

Apr 5, 2021
Limajari Cargo and Naval Cargo are two prominent shipping company. On average, it costs $1,659 to ship one 40' container from Indonesia to UK. But retirement visa requires tax while shipping.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Limajari Cargo and Naval Cargo are two prominent shipping company. On average, it costs $1,659 to ship one 40' container from Indonesia to UK. But retirement visa requires tax while shipping.
I believe his question was in the other direction. What tax is required for Indo -> UK?

RJackson

May 20, 2020

Sry but thems the facts!
Do you guys know how tax is calculated? Thank you.

Einix

Aug 19, 2022
Hi, would you know which visa types would allow it?

Sry but thems the facts!