Sex outside marriage

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
BTW, Missus and me living together since 5 years and nobody in the remote Banyuwangi jungle village has ever made a comment during our (very) short stays there.
No. These new laws are not from popular demand out in the provinces. The inspiration is coming from much further west than Indonesia.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Most people seem to be missing completely the point(s) of the "new" (it's been around in one form or another for quite some time. Both at formal and at "adat" level) law.
In this new version only the near relatives are able to make a legal complaint to be acted upon by the police. Prior to this the ability to raise "charges" were in the hands of the authorities - now they are not! This actually makes a pointed application of the laws consequences (for instance to elicit bribes) less, rather than more likely.
One of the main focuses of the law may be to encourage more Nikah Sirih or short term marriages as most often applied by visiting western emirates and other of that ilk. This will possibly offer a more secure option to local women. But I suspect that since the world press have gone off like pedophiles on a school bus the law will be allowed to quietly disappear during the next 3 years.

Reactions: Fred2

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
Prior to this the ability to raise "charges" were in the hands of the authorities - now they are not! This actually makes a pointed application of the laws consequences (for instance to elicit bribes) less, rather than more likely.

Unfortunately most tourists are not as well informed as yourself. The fact the law exist is enough for the police adding it to it's "arsenal".

I still remember my first day in Indonesia and Bali, pulled over by the police while driving a rented motor without a helmet or international driving permit. He showed me a blue book written in Indonesian with a a rather large number (5,000,000 if I'm not wrong). Since I was guilty of two "wrongs" I he explained my fine was 10,000,000. I understood that was a really hefty fine, so a solution had to be found.

Similar rookie experience but ended up much worse; A group of Australians were arrested, mistreated and forced to pay AUD 250,000 [correction 15/12/22: AUD 25,000] for having a stripper at their private party. Not even an offense in Indonesia.

So I can imagine that a lot of people will seek a quick and and easy way out if the police mention 1 year prison with name and face plastered all over media. No time to read the fine print.

Last edited:

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Unfortunately most tourists are not as well informed as yourself. The fact the law exist is enough for the police adding it to it's "arsenal".

I still remember my first day in Indonesia and Bali, pulled over by the police while driving a rented motor without a helmet or international driving permit. He showed me a blue book written in Indonesian with a a rather large number (5,000,000 if I'm not wrong). Since I was guilty of two "wrongs" I he explained my fine was 10,000,000. I understood that was a really hefty fine, so a solution had to be found.

Similar rookie experience but ended up much worse; A group of Australians were arrested, mistreated and forced to pay AUD 250,000 for having a stripper at their private party. Not even an offense in Indonesia.

So I can imagine that a lot of people will seek a quick and and easy way out if the police mention 1 year prison with name and face plastered all over media. No time to read the fine print.
Ok, a bit common sense, basic respect of social behaviour (not Bogan style..) would keep most Aussies out of trouble. You knowingly dont wear a helmet, you're looking for trouble.
A bit like flashing you wad of dollars at 02:00 am in a local club....

The usual rags are just looking for punch headlines.
Did they mention that in order for the police to intervene, it needs somebody (parents, kids...) to file a complain ?
This should have ZERO impact for tourists, except the ones that take their religion in the above mentionned papers.
As @Markit said, in the local society it has always existed. In the Missus village (90% Muslim / 10% Hindu) when her son paraded a bit around with his g/f the village head came to see her (even if her and all her family are Hindu) to explain this was not a proper behaviour and they should at least make an official engagement.
Which they did, and all.was good. Of course the village head was invited at the ceremony, and handed a cartridge of cigarettes for his "assistance".

Newbies will always fall for tricks in any country. Do you think Chinese tourists in Paris are not taken.for a ride by taxi drivers and souvenir shops ?

27 years in Asia for me, but they still manage to surprise me with their "creativity"

Reactions: Markit

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Haha how many foreigners you know have an Indonesian partner? So how can you say that it won't affect them? I think thy can live happily together and then the father /brother / sister don't get the money they want and then...

Reactions: mugwump

harryopal

May 5, 2016
"............... A group of Australians were arrested, mistreated and forced to pay AUD 250,000 for having a stripper at their private party. Not even an offense in Indonesia.

................"
I see that story was 2015. What, I wonder, was the outcome? If it were acknowledged that the process was police extortion were any police actually ever prosecuted and was the money returned? (The news account was $25,000 AUD not $250,000.)

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
I see that story was 2015. What, I wonder, was the outcome? If it were acknowledged that the process was police extortion were any police actually ever prosecuted and was the money returned? (The news account was $25,000 AUD not $250,000.)
Supposedly, the following severe sanctions were imposed

Police were interrogated after the Indonesian embassy in Australia reported a strong social media backlash.

Some 12 Bali police officers including Januartha were implicated in the scandal.

They were forced to stand for two hours in the sun and paraded in front of other colleagues as part of a humiliation process in September.

Januartha was found guilty of breaching the police ethics code on January 5 and he has been ordered to apologise to Bali's police chief.

He will be transferred to a different position in a lower rank for at least a year.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Haha how many foreigners you know have an Indonesian partner? So how can you say that it won't affect them? I think thy can live happily together and then the father /brother / sister don't get the money they want and then...
Those with Indonesian "partners" are already paying their dues! You think papa is gonna kill the goose laying those golden eggs?

Reactions: sakumabali