songgon_lea

Jun 26, 2013
Songgon E Java
Dear all,

My husband has been trying for the last week to register on line for his VITAS application, however it keeps replying internal server error.
Also to no surprise nobody has anwsered any of the numbers ive called to Jakarta.

Could anybody confirm if this online application works or is it just a temporrary thing.

Thank you. Lea.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I had no idea you can even apply for a visa for Indonesia online. What is the URL of the site? What kind of visa is your husband applying for?

songgon_lea

Jun 26, 2013
Songgon E Java
Sorry this site wont allow me to post a link yet. search Indonesian consolate general. It has many applications available.
The visa is a short term stay to convert to a KITAS next March

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I can see the page here: Home

Attention
Visa application limited
only 500 per day.
Now, already at position

I am in the process of applying for a visa so it would be interesting to see if the thing to check status actually works.

I read once on another forum about a guy who had a lot of trouble getting a VITAS (and finally gave up in the end). It might be easier getting a social visa and then changing that to a KITAS once you arrive here.

songgon_lea

Jun 26, 2013
Songgon E Java
Yep, thats the site...but not much appears to work.
The other option we / he has is to fly to Jakarta and apply in person but this application is just for an approval for the VITAS the actual visa will be issued in Hong kong.
Can anyone confirm if this can be done in a day or 2 at the main office, its crazy but if we have to fly there just for an application approval then thats what needs to be done. Proposed timescale to relocate is next March.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
not much appears to work.

Probably not too surprising. Are you applying for the spouse sponsored visa? I did a search on the Indonesia expat forum and couldn't find too much help, but similar problems as you describe: getting vitas overseas. It did work for one person though: http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.org/showthread.php/23054-Visa-Application-amp-Approval-Online

Just from reading various forums, it seems easier applying for visas within the country, with the exception of maybe Singapore and KL.

Last edited:

songgon_lea

Jun 26, 2013
Songgon E Java
I suupose it is a spouse sponsored, the site askes for proof of marrage, savings / proof of support, and a few other documents.
Having said that we will make sure everything is overkill document wise if travelling all that way just for an approval.
The marrage cert was in Chinese, that had to be translated into Portugese (Macau) then English before it was registered in Hong Kong Indonesian consulate.
Everytime goverment notorised....:icon_rolleyes:

Patience...will get there in the end.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
You might want to try going through an agency for the first one? It probably would be cheaper than going to Jakarta and a lot more fun.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
The only overseas agents I know of are in Singapore. Going through some of those threads, it seems like if you apply in Indonesia you need to apply at the immigration office closest to the spouses KTP. Something to think about if you do end up applying in Indonesia and don't have a KTP from the area you want to live. The whole point I thought of the VITAS was to apply outside of Indonesia, so it does seem strange they are saying you have to start the process in JKT. When you move back to Indonesia I believe you need to register your marriage here also. With an agent is pretty straight forward, but actually not too difficult to do yourself (and you save around 5 million). After 2 KITAS you can then get a KITAP which is good for 5 years. Actually immigration do seem to be making it a little easier for mixed couples (by Indonesian standards). The important to remember is never mail anything. Hand deliver everything or at least a courier.

songgon_lea

Jun 26, 2013
Songgon E Java
The VITAS will be issued in Hong Kong once we have the approval form Jakarta. Then on arrival you are correct the KITAS will be issued at my KTP.
You are also correct that the marrage must also be registered in Indonesia.
Never seen a postman so not sure snail mail even exists.

I'm sure all these problems are sent to try us....luckely we both have the patience of a saint and JD in the cupboard. :eagerness:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I'm a little confused songgon...I'm trying to help thus asking 'what visa is your hubby actually applying for and what are his reasons for the visit?'

Visas to enter Indonesia from a foreign country:-

1. Visa on Arrival (VOA)....available at the port of entry for US$25, for 30 days. Extendable once for another 30 days.
2. Tourist visa...... applied for at the RI Embassy/Consul in home country for 60 days . Does not need a sponsor and is not supposed to be extendable.
3. Sosbud visa......applied for at the RI Embassy/Consul in home country initially for 60 days and extendable monthly for total of 6 months. Needs a sponsor letter from an Indonesian resident whose KTP indicates the area the foreigner will reside.

None of the above need authorisation from Indonesian Immigration in Jakarta.

Any other Itas to enter RI will need a sponsor residing in Indonesia, and a reason, and will need to be verified from Immigration Jakarta. The confirmation can then be telexed to the foreigner's closest RI Embassy/Consul for passport stamp. Within 7 days of arrival in RI that Itas needs to be converted to a Kitas in an Immigration Office within the sponsor's KTP area.

If you are the Indonesian spouse residing in RI, then he can arrive on a Sosbud and have it converted to a Kitas, with your sponsorship, without leaving Indonesia.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Immigration in Jakarta are now even better, went there last week for my Kitas letter Drop the letter off from kanwil before 10.00 am & picked it up from them at 1.00pm the next day. The agents are not happy as they can no longer grease the palm they go to the back of the line.

songgon_lea

Jun 26, 2013
Songgon E Java
I'm a little confused songgon...I'm trying to help thus asking 'what visa is your hubby actually applying for and what are his reasons for the visit?'

Any other Itas to enter RI will need a sponsor residing in Indonesia, and a reason, and will need to be verified from Immigration Jakarta. The confirmation can then be telexed to the foreigner's closest RI Embassy/Consul for passport stamp. Within 7 days of arrival in RI that Itas needs to be converted to a Kitas in an Immigration Office within the sponsor's KTP area.

Hi Davita,

Sorry i should have explained, we shall be living perminantly in Indonesia, I am local he is a Brit, so the option above is the one we are trying to obtain.
Its the verification thats a pain due to the online not working so a trip over is required.
I have contacted a local friend in Jakarta, she will go and ask in person if the approval can be given on a 1 or 2 day turnaround that way we can bring the confirmation back with us and give to our RI Embassy/Consul for the stamp in his passport.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

Lea

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
forget about getting an VITAS approval within 2 days or even within 2 weeks for that matter...
Since Hong Kong Consulate wants that the application for Vitas is done in Indonesia and it would need you guys to fly overhere for that..the best advice I can give is apply for a Social Cultural Visit Visa in Hong Kong, this is by far the easiest, fastest and cheapest way. The only thing Hong Kong needs to issue this Visa is a copy of your valid KTP and sponsorletter (example of sponsorleter can be found on this site and elsewhere)..This Visa is good for a 60 day stay in Indonesia (can be extended to a max of 180 days @ local imigrasi)
When arrived in Indonesia, you + hubby go to the nearest kantor immigrasi and apply there to convert the social cultural visa into a KITAS.
Oh yeah, before you go to the imigrasi and convert, register your marriage at the catatan sipil so your paperwork will be complete..besides the paperwork bring headshot photo's in several sizes and with red background to the immigrasi.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
forget about getting an VITAS approval within 2 days or even within 2 weeks for that matter...
Since Hong Kong Consulate wants that the application for Vitas is done in Indonesia and it would need you guys to fly overhere for that..the best advice I can give is apply for a Social Cultural Visit Visa in Hong Kong, this is by far the easiest, fastest and cheapest way. The only thing Hong Kong needs to issue this Visa is a copy of your valid KTP and sponsorletter (example of sponsorleter can be found on this site and elsewhere)..This Visa is good for a 60 day stay in Indonesia (can be extended to a max of 180 days @ local imigrasi)
When arrived in Indonesia, you + hubby go to the nearest kantor immigrasi and apply there to convert the social cultural visa into a KITAS.
Oh yeah, before you go to the imigrasi and convert, register your marriage at the catatan sipil so your paperwork will be complete..besides the paperwork bring headshot photo's in several sizes and with red background to the immigrasi.

Totally agree with gilberts post...almost word for word what I was planning to write.
Forget that website it's not reliable....You are the sponsor so write the invitation letter for a social cultural visa (Sosbud) and present that with the application in HKG and next day the visa should be picked up. After arrival in Indonesia go to Jakarta Immigration and apply for the spouse sponsored Kitas (lasts one year) and associated MERP if intending to travel. The passport will need to have 18 months unexpired.

songgon_lea

Jun 26, 2013
Songgon E Java
Dear Gilbert / Davita,
Thank you for your kind advice, I did enquire at the HK consulate about going the route you suggested with the social cultural visa and they informed me that it would have to be renewed 3 times before it could be converted to a KITAS.

Im thinking for the sake of a couple of airfares the safest will be to go to Jakarta and apply for the VITAS approval, assuming it doesnt take long (a bit worried about Gilberts openning line) then on arrival back to HK go straight and get the stamp in his passport before returning back to Macau.

Just wondering are there any statistics on how many people finally arrived in Indonesia with the bulk of thier sanity missing. would dearly like to meet them as im sure we will fit in a treat once this is all over and done.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
From many reports I have read and my own experience, immigration seem to be processing the marriage visa applications fairly quickly. I would suggest following the path of least resistance, getting a social visa and converting that to a KITAS as other people have suggested. I believe you need to apply at the immigration office closest to the address of your KTP, so if you are not from Bali and you want to apply in Bali, then you might need to change this first.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Dear Gilbert / Davita,
Thank you for your kind advice, I did enquire at the HK consulate about going the route you suggested with the social cultural visa and they informed me that it would have to be renewed 3 times before it could be converted to a KITAS.

The above is incorrect information. You can start the conversion from a sosbud to a kitas as soon as you like..
here is a copy/paste from another forum where this is discussed...

Though one could pick up a VITAS (sponsor istri) from a KBRI abroad, having previously obtained the agreement of the DitJen Imigrasi in JKT, I believe that the sosbud to kitas procedure is somewhat easier. It allows you plenty of time (you first enter on a SosBud, which can be extended up to 6 months) to convert it to an ITAS. Having almost 6 months to do so...

Apologies...I should have attributed the above copy/paste to our member Atlantis. If the OP wishes to PM I can offer his whole series of events on how to apply. Alternatively maybe Atlantis could offer his expert info himself

Last edited: