GeorgeV

Jun 15, 2015
New seniors gated community in Bali

IN a first for Bali, a high-powered group of developers is building a gated estate aimed at the over 55s.

Former Virgin Entertainment executive Ian Duffell has joined forces with Bali-based Australian property developer Saxon Looker's Sentosa Worldwide Resorts group and Indonesian property company PT Mandiri Aditama Perkasa to develop a 6.5ha site at Umulas near Bali's famous Canggu Club, just past trendy Seminyak.

All up, 140 luxury houses will be developed at the Sentosa Residence Umulas complex with fully furnished one-bedroom villas priced from $US199,000 ($288,000), while opulent three-bedroom riverfront villas, replete with private swimming pools, are priced from $US699,000. Two-bedroom premium villas on 282sq m sites are on sale for $US395,000.

The villas are being sold with 30-year lease backs, plus 10-year plus 10-year lease options. Basic maintenance services, including a handyman, pool cleaning and garden services, will cost $US100 a week, but for $US200 a week villa owners score a twice-daily villa clean as well as an on-call maid for services such as shopping. For an extra $US75 a week a full-time housemaid or butler service is on offer.

"We saw there was an opportunity," Duffell told Weekend A Plus in an exclusive interview.

"More and more people are moving to Bali because they can't afford to live in Australia, they don't see their funds stretching in Australia."

This is an old thread from Bali News forum.

Anyone have any idea how this development is going? It seemed a great idea and something that appealed to me as a retirement option.

The web site for Sentosa Residences has been taken down and replaced with Dharma Residences, is Sentosa no longer involved? and does anyone have any idea if construction is proceeding? I live in Australia so its a bit tricky to wander down to Umalas to see whats going on.

I would be grateful for any info.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Friend if you think it might be worth spending your dotage there don't you think it might also be worth a personal visit?

Even if it's not your thing or they've "run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible" as we all must, the future for you sounds like Bali.

It's a good choice and I recommend you feel it on your own skin.

Frankly, the whole island's a gated community.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hi GeorgeV and welcome to the forum. Interesting nic...King GeorgeV shares the same birthday as myself...he's just a touch older....:ghost:...and dead!

The location of your post is only about a mile from where I live but I'll be honest.... I've never heard of it. I'll take a looksee maybe tomorrow and get back.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Friend if you think it might be worth spending your dotage there don't you think it might also be worth a personal visit?

Even if it's not your thing or they've "run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible" as we all must, the future for you sounds like Bali.

It's a good choice and I recommend you feel it on your own skin

Frankly, the whole island's a gated community.
Tsk tsk Markit! The next thing I know you will be critical of "Eat Pray and Love".

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Tsk tsk Markit! The next thing I know you will be critical of "Eat Pray and Love".

Around our temple to Elizabeth Gilbert (Long may she suffer) we regularly hold exorcisms where we flagellate each other and any tourist caught carrying the E,P and L tome with long bamboo sticks until the pledge is called to never, ever mention that Ubud is not a seaside town.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I wnet to see this site today and there isn't any construction going on. There is a big plot of land with some kind of perimeter fencing and a security guard. At the entrance are big billboards with pictures of how it's supposed to look but that's it... also, the billboards say Dharma Resort although at the end of the street the sign says Sentosa.
Btw it isn't anywhere near the Canggu Club.....that's miles away.

GeorgeV

Jun 15, 2015
I wnet to see this site today and there isn't any construction going on. There is a big plot of land with some kind of perimeter fencing and a security guard. At the entrance are big billboards with pictures of how it's supposed to look but that's it... also, the billboards say Dharma Resort although at the end of the street the sign says Sentosa.
Btw it isn't anywhere near the Canggu Club.....that's miles away.

Thanks Davita, much appreciated for the information, I was interested in such a development but have had no reply from the web site.

I am due for another visit in September so will check it out then. Cheers