smudge

Jul 14, 2014
australia
Hi to all the expats in Bali. Have been sent to this site to find out from you all just what to expect from retiring in Bali.
Am a 67yr young single male retired businessman who was about to retire in Thailand but was advised to check out the possibilities of doing so in Bali. Tired of the rat race and politics of Australia and want to find a place to pursue a different lifestyle. Need warm weather and beaches and female company so would appreciate any help or advice on where to stay and what to expect. Am very used to the rules in Thailand having been to Asia many times but have never been to Bali so look forward to hearing from like minded male retirees.
Cheers,
Paul

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hey Smudge welcome - have a look around on the old subjects first and if you don't find what you want or need some updating then ask away but you have to be a bit specific what you need or want to know.

smudge

Jul 14, 2014
australia
Thanks Markit. Have read a few of your posts and actually tried to contact you, but being a new member I was not able to access your direct contact. You seem to have some pretty firm opinions instead of the usual drivel that is common on all expat sites, especially the Thailand sites. I have looked at a lot of the Bali info but cannot seem to find any info regarding the lifestyle available for a single mature male who likes the good life, good mates and female companionship. The Thai options are well documented but I am no longer interested in late night discos or bar girls. I am still a healthy male though and would enjoy living beachside with all the things I like, as mentioned, still available. Am not sure of your situation Markit but would appreciate any help in finding out about the right place to live and the benefits available for a single guy.
Thanks mate,
Paul

moondogy

Aug 22, 2012
Nusa Dua
This is a very BIG question! We are about the same age....been here for 3 years, have a villa in a small village in the Nusa Dua/Tanjung Benoa area....only about 3 expats live here, the remainder are Balinese/Javanese. So we live pretty much a local existence......its tough when you first come as you need to learn the language and customs obviously, but once you settle in, it is very rewarding. We have involved ourselves in the village by way of volunteering and contributing to the construction and now maintenance of their soccer field, a new park for the kids, and I teach english to a small handful of girls each Sunday. The cost to us is minimul, we have the time, and it is so needed and appreciated.
We have heaps of visitors from Aust over the winter season.....April throu to Sept it seems, then we are pretty much on our own. So then we take the opportunity to travel and explore Bali and further islands of Indonesia/SE Asia etc....its a good mix. There are Rotary Clubs here, there is golf ofcourse, many organisations that assist children, assist villages, recycling efforts, the arts of Ubud....plenty to get involved in if thats what you want. We chose to just work in our own back yard (our village!). Even though we had been coming to Bali for 25 years for holidays, and felt we knew the area fairly well, if I did it again, I would not purchase our villa straight up....I would rent/lease somewhere for a 12 month period, have a look about, try different areas, see what I do like and what I dont like. Best of luck! and welcome to the Forum!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hey Smudge,

Best guy to talk to is no.idea about living on the wild side. He's in Sanur and you can pretty much get into as much or little trouble there as you care to - Smoke seems to be doing a fair to middling job too.

Me I'm more for the contemplative life-style and like my pleasures more home-grown that's why I'm trying to open a whorehouse/gentlemen's club here in the East. By the way anyone else that's interested in being a founding member (and I use the term loosely) PM me for details.

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure dome decree

Just call me KK for short.

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Ah...the endless search for a little hottie.....and all the other stuff.

No doubt you know the pitfalls in Thailand...just use same same common sense in Bali.

The scene in Bali is near non existent by ways of comparison to Thailand...so you will have to tackle the old fashioned methods of joining clubs, groups ect where people meet and possibly hook up with someone that way...make friends first...dont look too desperate and then you will get to meet cousins, sisters, grandmas etc.

After spending 3 months in Bali and Indo last year...and as a very experienced perv....i will tell you now that the number of good looking woman in bali is a tiny minisculed percentage of whats available in Thailand. In Thailand you will see more beautiful woman in the airport during departure or arrival than you will see in Bali in 1 whole week.

Your mission is harder in Bali...and so will you be....but hopefully when you do find one, they will be much nicer and real than many of the fake individuals in Los.

Bali is nicer than Thailand...IMHO....thats why I'm moving there me good self soonish.

and as mentioned above...you are single, so use and abuse it...travel about a lot, do not settle in a long term rental until you sure of the area is right for everything you want....including hotties.

And don't shag the help.....gardener and pool people included.

By the way...some of the local expats may say they can show you a real good time, real good spots....but you've been to thailand...say no more.

But mind you, years n years n moons n moons ago I had a really good time in Flores...cannot even remember the town now.

Last edited:

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Smudge,

Easy to have the "finer" things in life here in Lovely Sanur .No.idea is a great help with his wisdoms and knowledge.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Paul, the advice given by Moondogy is spot on. Especially the comment about renting for 12 months first up.
Sadly Samsiam is way off the mark with his comments about there being no social scene and a lack of pretty girls. But then I suppose someone who does not live in Bali would not know anything about what really happens here.
I knock around with a group of around 50 expats, we all get along well but do not live in the pockets of each other every day. Between us we own or have interest in various bars, villas and hotels however we drink in our mates' bars as well as our own. Most of my friends have Indonesian partners. Obviously with a friend base of that many people there are often birthdays so we get together at a bar or at a private house for a barbecue.
I am quite happy to introduce you to a number of this crew. There should be one or two of this crew who you will get to like and strike up a particular friendship.
The ages of this crew range from 25 (is the right Rangi ?) to around 80. One of these guys will have a partner who has a sister or friend who is single and may show an interest in you.
Be aware that I drink a lot of beer but do not ask anyone to drink with me in a shout or round. I go to Titie's Warung on the beach in Sanur and have a beer in the morning, my mates come down and have their coffees, juices or coconuts depending on their own tastes. You are more than welcome to join in there as well.

smudge

Jul 14, 2014
australia
Thanks to all the guys who took the time to reply to my post.
Have been sending replies on the wrong site as I had trouble finding the original link. Back on track now.
Appreciate the offer no.idea to introduce me to some fellow expats when I come over. I assume you are in Sanur and it appears to be the main place recommended for a single mature male to visit, and perhaps settle. Am winding down a business here in Oz and will then be looking at the best place to retire. Where exactly are you and how can I contact you by name when I come? Where would you recommend I stay for a few weeks whilst I get a feel for the place?
Cheers mate,
Paul

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Paul, the advice given by Moondogy is spot on. Especially the comment about renting for 12 months first up.
Sadly Samsiam is way off the mark with his comments about there being no social scene and a lack of pretty girls. But then I suppose someone who does not live in Bali would not know anything about what really happens here.l.

Agree to disagree little bit then.....but, it is a well known fact that Thailand has more stunning woman per capita than anywhere in the world...thats just a fact I am afraid.

I never said there were no hotties or nowhere to find them...assuming that would be just stupid and ignorant....but I am talking in shear volume and this is an undeniable fact.

In my early days here I used to do 3 month visa runs, for 3 years....I went to close Asean countries mostly and stayed 1 or 2 nights away each time and during each and every one of those expeditions....you would see more attractive woman when either leaving the airport or arriving back at the airport in those brief minutes, than I would in the entire time in the other country.

Anyway, its not a contest, Smudge made an emphasis on finding female companionship and the odds would be in favour in Los, but Bali is better I think in the long run.....and having someone of No.Ideas stature to assist should increase his odds of finding mates substantially.

I might even divorce and follow him around.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Paul once you have made a few more posts (I think 5) you can then send a Private Message. I run a number of small businesses in Sanur. I live in the southern area of Sanur near Mertasari Beach. I could put up my web site address but because it links to my hotels and villas I
think it will be against the spirit of this forum that has various advertisers paying for that privilege.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
....you would see more attractive woman when either leaving the airport or arriving back at the airport in those brief minutes, than I would in the entire time in the other country.

At the risk of having rocks thrown at me, I thought exactly that the first time I went to Thailand from Australia.

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
At the risk of having rocks thrown at me, I thought exactly that the first time I went to Thailand from Australia.

So you saw more hotties in the Oz airport than your entire time in Los ?

Ain't the world a wonderful place....if we were all the same, it would be so boring and one place would be so overcrowded.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
So you saw more hotties in the Oz airport than your entire time in Los ?

Bloody drongo! I am sitting at my computer laughing out loud. The guys building my new gazebo are giving me looks reserved for the terminally insane.

smudge

Jul 14, 2014
australia
Have tried to put my email address in but it doesn't accept it so I will just continue to post until I can.
Seems to be a lot of banter about the girls from Thailand and Bali and I am sure they both have their good points.
10yrs ago I used to think that Pattaya in Thailand was utopia but now it is almost necessary to speak Russian to understand what's going on. The tourist places are done to death and occupied by drunken louts. I love a drink but prefer good company with mates not morons on holidays showing off.
Paul

smudge

Jul 14, 2014
australia
Sorry I was called away. What I was explaining is that I am looking for a quieter style of living on the beach but with good mates and the not so ugly tourists. Seems that Sanur has this advantage of not yet being over run by yobbos yet is close to all the creature comforts.
Should be close to my number of posts required to include my email address so will try again. Nope, didn't work again.
Cheers,
Paul

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Have tried to put my email address in but it doesn't accept it so I will just continue to post until I can.
Seems to be a lot of banter about the girls from Thailand and Bali and I am sure they both have their good points.
10yrs ago I used to think that Pattaya in Thailand was utopia but now it is almost necessary to speak Russian to understand what's going on. The tourist places are done to death and occupied by drunken louts. I love a drink but prefer good company with mates not morons on holidays showing off.
Paul
Try Angel's on Danau Poso in Sanur at 5pm weekdays. Good people.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Try Angel's on Danau Poso in Sanur at 5pm weekdays. Good people.

Are you sure about there being good people at Angel's. Which person would that be? Nick of the Old Bailey, Nick the ex copper, Martin the Welsh bloke who can not even pronounce his own name, Charlie who still thinks he is young enough to play cricket, Pete who loves golf and beer, Scottish Jimmy who no one can understand or maybe Dell who makes cameo appearances from Candi Dasa?
Cheers, probably see you somewhere in the area around 5 PM.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Are you sure about there being good people at Angel's. Which person would that be? Nick of the Old Bailey, Nick the ex copper, Martin the Welsh bloke who can not even pronounce his own name, Charlie who still thinks he is young enough to play cricket, Pete who loves golf and beer, Scottish Jimmy who no one can understand or maybe Dell who makes cameo appearances from Candi Dasa?
Cheers, probably see you somewhere in the area around 5 PM.

Sounds like a line-up for "Last of the Summer Swine".