voytek

May 16, 2010
Hello everyone.
I am looking for a good International School for my children - grade 9, grade 5 and preK.
I am flexible when it comes to the location as my type of work will require frequent travel in Indonesia.
Budget is very important - will have to cover tuition myself so 8k per year is just not a solution.
Any comments, suggestions? Appreciate your help

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I have heard of prices of around $6K a year for international schools. Maybe a National Plus school is cheaper?

My only suggestion would be to compile a list of possible schools and then visit them personally. Green School has been getting a lot of media attention, but I suspect they are also expensive.

I don't think there are many parents on the forum that have school aged kids who can offer more advice. Just googling the school's name, might help bring up more info on the school also.

Last edited by a moderator:

goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
Sanur/Sunrise Dam Gold Mine
I have heard of prices of around $6K a year for international schools. Maybe a National Plus school is cheaper?

My only suggestion would be to compile a list of possible schools and then visit them personally. Green School has been getting a lot of media attention, but I suspect they are also expensive.

I don't think there are many parents on the forum that have school aged kids who can offer more advice. Just googling the school's name, might help bring up more info on the school also.
Most international schools that i have looked at are 10k plus, so if you have 3 kids that is very expensive. The Dyatmika school Spicy has mentioned looks ok, but no prices on the web site.
Mimpimanis has her son enrolled at the Montesoris :icon_rolleyes: spellcheck... and seems very happy with it. Maybe you can help here Gemma? Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

BaliChiro

Apr 28, 2010
Bali
International School

I have 2 kids at Gandhi Memorial (GMIS Renon) and am very happy with that school. It's about half the price of Bali International School. They have payment plans and they deliver quality international education (Cambridge and International Bacalaureate). A lot of my kids' friends are at Dyatmika and they are quite happy. The curriculum there is Cambridge. As a rule, schooling for expats remains a very large expense, no matter how you slice it. If all else fails, get a hold of Bali Advertiser, a free newspaper that you can find nearly everywhere now. They have a school/education section where all the various schools in town advertise. Then go visit the schools. Just keep in mind that you want an accredited institution so you can have reciprocity with another school outside Bali, should you ever move out !

voytek

May 16, 2010
Thank you for your comments.
Certainly will need to visit several schools bfr making final decision.
Re GMIS - may I ask what is their annual tuition. There was no specific info on schools website.

connected56

Oct 8, 2010
Puri Gading, Jimbaran, Bali
AISB -Gandhi School

Hi - I just started teaching at the Asian International School in Puri Gading, near Jimbaran. The cost is about $5000 for primary and slightly less for older students. We have a great experienced primary team - we are mostly new this year and are from Canada, Scotland, US, Indonesia, Hungary, India - a real mix.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
In the spirit of fairness and never being too fecking old to learn (and doubting that anyone gives a rat's ass) I'd like to mention that I recently ran into a very interesting and intelligent young woman of around 25 and I thought it would be good to share what I learned here as it contradicts many of the comments I've made over the years re Bali schools.

She told me that contrary to here Balinese education at The Bali International School
(BALI ISLAND SCHOOL) being bad
it was a wonderful time for her where she learned all she needed to get on in her life and carry her education further. She graduated here in Bali with the internationally respected IB (International Baccalaureate) and went on to get her degree at Nottingham University in the UK which she is now using to work here in her capacity as biology teacher. Her IB was eminently transferable and she had no difficulty with changing to the English system (other than the awful grub).

Hope this helps anyone in the future and I would be grateful for further information about Bali international standard schooling.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Nothing further to add here except to say it's amazing how we get 3 different posts about education all in the same day,

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
spam_o_232689.jpg

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
I just searched Gandhi Memorial in Bali which was recommended by someone,that poster said it's about half the price of other international schools,for first grade the total amount for a year is Rp148,500,000,,thats like $11,000 US dollars,so if the half price thing as stated is true then other schools charge $22,000, per year,man that's the price of a new car each year,can this really be true

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Gandhi charges a big fee for the first year. I think it is US$ 5000. Years afterwards are about 5000 a year.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
A half way decent public school (private) in the UK will now run you £28,000 ($40k) boarding and £22k non-boarding and NYDave you can see how long it's been since you bought a new car or you only ran to used Pintos and the like.

The reason there are 3 education posts in one day is I've spread my answer/info to 3 past threads. Luckily some of the readers (Ranki) here need 3 repeats before they get anything.