Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
I wouldn't be so keen on staying in Bali after everything that has happened if I were Schapelle ... I guess we'll never know the real story, right?! :highly_amused:

But I'll bet we'll know the film version of the story soon enough. Or will she have to wait until she gets back to OZ before proclaiming her innocence again?

:topsy_turvy:

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
Corby must undertake 'moral training'

CONVICTED drug smuggler Schapelle Corby will be expected to undertake moral and religious instruction if granted parole, according to a document which confirms an observation team which assessed her last week has recommended her for early release.

The document, obtained by AAP, and prepared last week by a team from the Bali corrections board, otherwise known as BAPAS, also states that Corby "has regretted her action and promised not to commit new law violation".

"The client promised not to commit any new crime of any kind," the document says.

"Based on the assessment from observation team meeting in Denpasar BAPAS office on August 15, 2013, we recommended ... Schapelle Leigh Corby be suggested for integration stages of parole".

The document was prepared following an inspection of the Kuta home of Schapelle's older sister Mercedes and her Balinese husband Wayan Widiartha, and confirms "the (address) is suitable place for the client because it's safe and comfortable".

A number of recommendations listed by the assessment team are also in line with conditions agreed to in a letter, signed by Corby on August 14, and which was revealed earlier this week.

But the BAPAS document also suggests that Corby would be expected to undertake "moral and religious" training if granted parole.

"Guidance must be increased regarding moral and religious training ... and law so that after getting parole, client could participate in society and obey guidance process," it says.

The latest development in the Corby saga comes after it was also revealed earlier this week she could be free to return to Australia three years earlier if she served out her sentence in prison rather than applying for parole.

The head of the Bali Corrections Board said on Monday that Corby would no longer be eligible for annual sentence remissions if granted parole, and would also be required to undertake an additional "guidance period" of one year.

No Cookies | Perth Now

slider_laughin.gif

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
So she has the option of getting out early but having to stay longer in Bali on parole, or stay in jail longer but able to go back to Australia sooner.

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
SCHAPELLE Corby's skill as a nail artist has earned her many customers among her fellow female prisoners at Bali's Kerobokan Jail.

Insiders at the jail, where Schapelle Corby, 36, is now waiting to find out when she will be granted parole, say that her nail art is "very cool" and that she charges 20,000 rupiah or $2 to do the nails.

"Her nail art is very cool. Many women in the W block have become her nail art customers. Mostly the customers are the women who have money," one fellow prisoner said.

Corby has also become active in making wooden fans as part of a program run by the jail where a company in Denpasar supplies wood for the prisoners to make fans for them.

Corby is in cell number one in the overcrowded women's block where there are 105 inmates. The capacity is 52 prisoners. She is sharing currently with nine other prisoners. At times there have been up to 13 women in her cell.

Her cellmates include a Danish woman who is serving a five-year sentence for trafficking 218g of hashish and a Thai national sentenced to 13 years jail for smuggling 200g of methamphetamine.

One woman prisoner told News Corp Australia that Corby cared a great deal for other prisoners.

"She (Corby) really cares about her friends. If she saw me dreamy or looking blank she would always approach me and hug me. She cares and she is sincere. We chat a lot and make a joke," the prisoner said.

Corby has now been eligible for parole for the past year but three obstacles still stand in the way of her walking free from Kerobokan Jail.

Parole officers have deemed she is eligible, after serving the required two-thirds of her sentence, and they have interviewed Corby and her sister and brother-in-law and have deemed their Kuta home acceptable as a place for Corby to live.

But in order to satisfy all the requirements for parole, Corby needs to sort immigration requirements for a resident permit, pay her $10,000 fine and get a letter confirming that she is not on an Interpol wanted list.

Until these three issues are sorted out Corby's parole application can go no further and cannot be considered by Jakarta.

Indonesian immigration laws mean that in order for Corby to exempted from the need to have a "stay permit" to live in Indonesia on parole there needs to be a ministry regulation.

Sunar Agus, the correctional division head at the Law and Human Rights Ministry in Bali, told News Corp Australia that Corby needs a statement from the Immigration director general or official, stating that she is exempted from an obligation to have a resident permit.

She also needs a letter stating that she is not wanted under an Interpol "red notice" of wanted people.

Mr Agus said that without the Interpol letter the parole can't go ahead.

He said that the Australian Consulate in Bali had conveyed to him that they would help Corby in getting this.

Corby also cannot be released on parole until her 100 million rupiah or $10,000 fine is paid. The fine was issued on the day of her conviction and 20-year sentence but has not been paid. The family has been trying to pay but the process stalled because officials had been unsure where it should be paid, given the conviction was almost nine years ago.

Once these three obstacles are cleared the parole application will then go a meeting of officials at the jail, who will make a recommendation.

The matter will then go to the Justice ministry in Bali who will make a further recommendation to Jakarta, where the final decision will be made.

No one in authority is putting a date on when Corby's parole could finally be granted or when she will step outside the gates of Kerobokan Jail.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wor...s-kerobokan-jail/story-fnhrvhol-1226703734612

Looks like they are still trying to figure out who and how many people get a share of the $10,000 into their pocket. I mean how can you be unsure where it is paid too?

It's good to see is being productive in her time inside and is making friends in there. But I hope she dosen't get stung for working without a Kitas :concern:

The last thing she would want it to be deported :cocksure:

Last edited:

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
Corby pays $10,000 cash ahead of parole

Schapelle Corby has moved closer to an early release after stumping up $10,000 in cash and winning crucial support for her parole application from the governor of Bali's notorious Kerobokan jail.

A senior official with the Denpasar Prosecutor's Office has confirmed Corby's brother-in-law, Wayan Widyartha, paid the $10,000 fine on Tuesday afternoon.

"Yes, Corby's fine of RP100 million has been paid," Anak Agung Wiradarma, a senior official from the Denpasar Prosecutor's Office, told AAP.

"Her brother in law came here around 2.30pm. He paid in cash and it was accepted by the prosecutor's office."
Advertisement

Corby, convicted in 2005 after being caught attempting to smuggle 4.2kg of marijuana into Bali in a bodyboard bag, was required to pay the fine as a condition of her original sentence

If she failed to pay the fine, an additional six months would have been added to her jail term.

"With this, her six-month secondary sentence is annulled. Her obligation to us has been stated as completed," Mr Wiradarma told AAP.

The development came after Kerobokan governor I Gusti Ngurah Wiratna earlier in the day said he had officially signed off on Corby's parole application.

The parole recommendation will now be sent to the Justice Ministry in Bali for a further recommendation, after which the case will be sent to Jakarta for final decision.

"I have signed the resume of meeting of Corby's parole on Monday," Mr Wiratna said.

"The resume says that Corby deserves to get parole as she has a significant change in her behaviour."

But Mr Wiratna cautioned that Corby must also obtain a letter from Interpol stating she is not wanted and is not on the international law enforcement agency's "red notice" list before she can be granted parole.

There is also an issue around her visa status, which must be cleared up before she can be released.

The 36-year-old will live with her sister Mercedes and Mr Widyartha in Kuta if she is granted parole, and will be expected to undertake moral and religious instruction.

Corby is serving a 15-year jail term after Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono last year granted her clemency on humanitarian grounds and slashed her sentence by five years.

Corby pays $10,000 cash ahead of parole

:frog:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I'm not wishing to argue her case either way but will be interested to see what visa is provided for her to stay in Indonesia.
Does anyone know of any particular proviso in RI law that can provide this visa as VOA and Sosbud are clearly unavailable?

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Um, as in she was convicted by an Indonesian court of being guilty in importing a quantity of an illegal narcotic.
Guilty or not, it's somewhat laughable that anybody in their right mind would consider the Indonesian court process, "Indonesian justice system", etc, as anything but a travesty at the best of times.

People convicted of premeditated murder get "off" with a maximum sentence of 11 years (for murdering four people in cold blood). The others involved got even less.
Before that, some murderers got "off" with a sentence of six months for killing someone. Ironically, one of the victims was sentenced to much more!
There are endless cases like these nearly every day of the week in Indonesian "courts".

"Steal" a banana on your own land - go to jail.

Nobody here knows the complete details of the Corby case. There are many inconsistencies and overall, it's still quite mysterious (IMHO).

But - she didn't run around with an automatic weapon shooting people down for revenge.

Her sentence of 20 years was way over the top. There have been Indonesian prison wardens busted for dealing drugs such as crystal meth who got off with a slap on the wrist.
So - where's "the justice"?

:icon_twisted:

alex margou

Jul 20, 2013
Her sentence of 20 years was way over the top.

Personally I have a different opinion on this matter. Two members of my family have died as a direct result of their drug usage. Like so many others they started on marijuana and progressed to .........

I would be happy for all drug dealers and smugglers to be locked up and the key to be thrown away. If other criminals are seen to have lighter sentences then look again at their sentences - but leave the drug dealers and smugglers in jail.

I know that huge numbers of folk will disagree with me - so be it - we are all free to hold our opinions as we think fit.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
What is a drug?

It never ceases to amaze me how illogical normally rational people become when it comes to talking about "drugs". Everybody uses drugs of one kind or another, even on a daily basis.
But peoples' definitions of "what is a drug" vary wildly.

A simple dictionary definition can be:
"a medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body."

The Science Museum, London defines it as:
"A drug is any chemical you take that affects the way your body works. Alcohol, caffeine, aspirin and nicotine are all drugs. A drug must be able to pass from your body into your brain. Once inside your brain, drugs can change the messages your brain cells are sending to each other, and to the rest of your body. They do this by interfering with your brain's own chemical signals: neurotransmitters that transfer signals across synapses."

I remember one time back in the late 1970s when I had to address a group of trainee police at the Police Academy in Sydney. (I was a trained and registered psychologist at the time.)
Most of them had a big problem accepting the fact that caffeine is a physically addictive drug. They were even sceptical about alcohol being a drug of addiction.
So, what's going here?

The confusion comes from an ingorance of the basic"facts", as well as "accepted" defintions of what is deemed to be either "legal" or "illegal". The two most lethal legal drugs in common use are alcohol and nicotine.
Far more people get addicted to these and die from their effects than all of the illegal drugs combined! But - they're "legal", right, so must be OK, right? I don't agree.

The trade in "illegal" drugs is a very profitable one. All kinds of people are involved in it, including police and other "drug enforcers". (Even in Indonesia.)
To decriminalise or make these money-spinners legal would mean huge losses for the dealers (and their clandestine supporters, some who might hold positions of power in governments).
Call it what you want - corruption springs to mind.

Recently In the USA, Washington State has decriminalised marijuana. Other states have different perceptions and methods of dealing with the "problem".
Similarly in Australia where some states have decriminalsed pot for personal use; others are still draconian. Then there are countries like the Netherlands and again, recently, Uruguay.

Decriminalising or even legalising illegal drugs for personal use would free-up billions of dollars currently wasted on interception, stopping trafficking, etc.
"Wasted" because these measures only succeed in one area - driving prices higher.

Eliminating illegal drugs has never worked and never will. Look what happened in the prohibition days in the USA.

It is my contention that the biggest "drug dealers" today are those pedalling legal drugs, such as alcohol and tobacco. Don't even get me started on pharmaceutical (medicines) and agricultural companies (pesticides).

How about some more rational thinking about "the drug problem"?

:icon_smile:

alex margou

Jul 20, 2013
What is a drug?

Hi JohnnyCool,

I go along with all the facts presented in your post, but still most likely end up with different conclusions to yours.

I agree with you about the general level of ignorance about drug matters, and also about the dangers of tobacco and alcohol usage and addiction. I can also understand the arguments for de-criminalising marijuana.

But I'd like to make two points:

First, if something is wrong, in this case illegal drug abuse, then in my opinion it is best to focus on that and deal with it. In only serves to muddy the waters if one tries to bring in external factors, such as other things that are also wrong - tobacco addiction, alcohol addiction - for some kind of comparison. The life ruining problems caused by illegal drug abuse - cocaine, opiates, yaba (now in Thailand) and all the new drugs whose names I don't even know and so on, are not in anyway dimished by bringing tobacco and alcohol into the argument. If tobacco and alcohol abuse are bad (which they are) then that is another matter that can be discussed and analysed elsewhere.

Secondly, it is a feature of human nature that some people will always want more than they are allowed. Some people will always want to cross the line and move into forbidden territory. So, turning to the matter of drug abuse, no matter what is decriminalised, some people will still want to try the forbidden drugs, the new drugs that are being created almost daily, the drugs that are stronger - give a bigger kick, a better high etc - than the legal drugs they are accustomed to use. And so the problem of illicit drug use will remain. De-criminalising marijuana, and maybe some other drugs as well, will not solve the problem, but will merely bring about some changes to it.

That's how I see it. As I said before, I know that huge numbers of folk will disagree with me. But I'd like to think that I'm being logical, rational and unemotional about this here.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Where's Nursey when you need her?

You two old farts just move over and grumble to each other in the corner OK?

The rest of us want to have a drug and drink fueled orgy.

Alex sorry that two of your family have died - personally, I think you are one lucky fecker - all of my family have died (except those that are still alive) it's what people do - we all die, a lot! Get used to it!

Taint no big deal, is it?

alex margou

Jul 20, 2013
Where's Nursey when you need her?

You two old farts just move over and grumble to each other in the corner OK?

The rest of us want to have a drug and drink fueled orgy.

Alex sorry that two of your family have died - personally, I think you are one lucky fecker - all of my family have died (except those that are still alive) it's what people do - we all die, a lot! Get used to it!

Taint no big deal, is it?

Hi Markit,

JohnnyCool wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how illogical normally rational people become when it comes to talking about "drugs".

You wrote all the above. Why? What for?

Alex

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
Johnycool, the inability to eradicate illegal drugs problems can't be the reason to legalize them. its the same like telling people don't take a shower, you'll get sweaty again anyway.
There's only a few things that I never tolerate, and the top of that list is drug dealing and human trafficking, for me human lives are precious but if the thin red line was crossed, their fate are no longer worth the attention
The way those syndicate operate and used people were too repulsive for me, even the most gruesome Hollywood movie will never surpassed them

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hi Markit,

JohnnyCool wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how illogical normally rational people become when it comes to talking about "drugs".

You wrote all the above. Why? What for?

Alex

Well, Alex because I think to bring personally emotional sentiment into a open forum is frankly the wrong place for it - if you wanna get all "touchy, feely" then look for a forum with a lot of cats in it.

People dying isn't new or especially interesting (unless it's in the Darwin Awards - check them out!), as I always say "it's what we do". And if you want to hold a long discussion about the rights and wrongs of drugs then OK, but it's been bashed about thousands of time - here, let alone the rest of the media world.

Frankly, opinions on drugs are like assholes - everyone has one, and they all stink.

Now if you come up with something new then please, please list it but for "same ol, same ol!" sorry, it's boring.

Why did I add my 2 cents worth into your opus? Because you guys obviously wanted to get off in a room by yourselves (with audience) and have a right good old whinge, but me just saying "get a room" wouldn't have done it.

Fire retardant underwear firmly in place!

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
Don't be fooled by Schapelle Corby's misguided fan club

SCHAPELLE Corby, once released from jail, should be welcomed home by her family as a daughter and sister who made a terrible mistake she will regret for life.

But don't forget this simple fact . Schapelle Corby is no returning hero. She is a convicted drug smuggler, who tried to import 4.2kg of cannabis into Bali.

That's a big deal in Indonesia, where she was found guilty and jailed.

That happens every day in courtrooms across the globe. The difference with Corby's case, though, is that her fan club changed the plot of her story to become a fanciful tale of her being an innocent bystander to nameless crime lords sending drugs between countries in boogie board bags.

The Indonesian Government was turned into the villain and Corby, the convicted drug-runner, became Schapelle, the doe-eyed femme fatale who deserved our full sympathy.

Fans, who have never met Corby or even understand Indonesia's harsh drug laws, joined the circus, buying up books telling her story, spending days mining the internet for details of court cases and turned a petty drug-running case into a huge celebrity money spinner.

Many of them hindered her cause, writing letters trashing evidence without any knowledge and abusing those attempting to secure her release through proper channels.

Of course the Corby cultists won't contemplate that; they'll be busy fuelling Schapelle Inc and harnessing the hate to be delivered into my email inbox this morning.

Much of the abuse comes from America, from people who haven't been to Indonesia, don't know its laws or the evidence behind Corby's conviction.

"They've done nothing to help Schapelle, sadly,'' one senior worker, with years of experience dealing with Australian prisoners abroad, says.

"In fact, this type of uncoordinated support group can be, and often is, detrimental to the prisoner.''

More than 1000 Australians, including dual-nationals, this morning sit in jails around the world. Almost all of them are anonymous.

But their case histories read like Corby's. A young Australian travels abroad, breaks the law of their host country, is tried by the local justice system and jailed. And that's when many of them claim their penalty unfair, unjust and even racist.

Any law-breaker in Australia faces our justice system. It should be no different for those Australians who choose to flout the laws of another country.

Even in Indonesia, Corby's had a fair run. She's been in the same jail as another young Australian woman, Renae Lawrence.

Lawrence, the only female in the Bali 9, was a lonely and dispirited teenager looking to belong when she fell into trouble but she's never shirked any responsibility or asked for special treatment.

Her case, just as heartbreaking for her family as Corby's is to hers, doesn't rank the same attention or sympathy.

Could that be because she's not as attractive as Corby?

Neither woman deserves to be locked away for life. Nor do many of the young Australian men rotting away in overseas jails, including other members of the Bali 9. But we shouldn't be forced to offer sympathy for them either.

Corby's case has created a significant issue for Australia, not only in terms of taxpayer funds but in the political and diplomatic relationship between our countries.

The Kerobokan jail governor has signed off on Corby's parole application, which is now headed for the Justice Ministry in Jakarta for final agreement.

These things take time but, like the Labor government, Tony Abbott will work with Indonesia towards her release.

But instead of celebrations, her story should be a poignant reminder to every Australian who contemplates breaking the law in another country.

Indonesia, like many countries, is tougher on criminals than we are, especially drug fiends than we are. Its judicial process does not allow the same latitude as our court system. The death penalty, which I abhor, is widely flagged. But it's Indonesia's rules and while there we need to play by them.

If Corby has stopped one other young Australian from embarking on the same path, she's done a valuable service.

But on release, she should work to repay the enormous personal, political and diplomatic efforts put in to secure her freedom, and we should all shun the fanatics who will soon begin the lobby for her appearance on Dancing with the Stars.

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

Thought this was pretty spot on.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
RE: Rangis post #77 regarding the Courier-mail article.

I don't want to get into the debate over guilt or not but, if I may, would like to comment on the article from the 'courier-mail'

1. My understanding is that Corby will be on parole and thus, unless given some expedient pardon, will not be returning home as this journalist alludes, whether to a hero's welcome or otherwise.
2. Making a comparison to Renae Lawrence is like apples and oranges. RL had 3kgs of heroin strapped around her body and she confessed. SC had 4.2Kgs of cannabis in an unlocked boogie bag that had, out of her sight, gone thru' Sydney's baggage transit from Brisbane to Bali while she was in the passenger terminal. She has not confessed to this day...and stood her ground even when a confession could have had her released some time ago!

3. Attempting to suggest that her looks had anything to do with media hype is worse journalism than the hype itself.

I'd wager this article was written by a female.

NB. When I travel I always lock my bags with electric tie-wire. Not so much to prevent theft but, on arrival anywhere and see the wire broken, I would notify security to examine my bag...I'm more worried someone will use me as an innocent mule!
I realize that locks are now produced which comply with USA TSA standards but...how easy is it for others to have similar keys? My system is cheap and easy to identify if tampered!

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
RE: Rangis post #77 regarding the Courier-mail article.

I don't want to get into the debate over guilt or not but, if I may, would like to comment on the article from the 'courier-mail'

1. My understanding is that Corby will be on parole and thus, unless given some expedient pardon, will not be returning home as this journalist alludes, whether to a hero's welcome or otherwise.
!

Parole is obviously temporary, meaning she will be able to return to Australia once her Parole is up. In 2018 I think it is.

2. Making a comparison to Renae Lawrence is like apples and oranges. RL had 3kgs of heroin strapped around her body and she confessed. SC had 4.2Kgs of cannabis in an unlocked boogie bag that had, out of her sight, gone thru' Sydney's baggage transit from Brisbane to Bali while she was in the passenger terminal. She has not confessed to this day...and stood her ground even when a confession could have had her released some time ago!

Part of the condition for any prisoner to get parole is they must admit guilt.

Indonesian Law and Human Rights Deputy Minister Denny Indrayana confirmed on Friday that Corby would have to satisfy a set of strict conditions under new parole regulations, including agreeing to be a "justice collaborator".

The 35-year-old, who has maintained her innocence, would have to admit to attempting to smuggle four kilograms of marijuana into Indonesia in 2004.

"The perpetrator must agree to be co-operative, and be a justice collaborator," Mr Indrayana said.

"She must be a justice collaborator, admitting guilt and regretting what she did in a letter," he said.

Corby must admit her guilt to win parole

Plenty of other sources that confirm this.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Ok Rangi...seems like you simply agree with the Indonesian Law and Human Rights Deputy Minister who wrote last March 'if Corby does not confess she will serve her full 20 years and not ever be paroled'.
I wonder how long he might retain that portfolio as Deputy......maybe time he was promoted and sent to Papua.

I'm only commenting on the article in the Courier-mail you copied. What is its relevance today if she is staying in jail till 2024? Does that journalist know something others don't?

Last edited: