balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Another obstacle has emerged in the fight to build a “peace park” on the Sari Club site in Bali.

The Australian government has backed plans to build a memorial at the site of the 2002 bombings, which killed 202. But now the owner of the spot is pushing for more money.

Families of the 88 Aussies who were killed say that the dusty and empty lot is an insult to their memories.

"You just want to be left alone, I wanted to have a moment of silence and I couldn't have that, I just wanted a moment to reflect"

The mysterious owner of the plot of land is playing hardball, demanding many times the land’s commercial value.

An offer of $2.5million has already been knocked back, despite being banned from developing the land by local authorities who also want the park built.

"If he could only put himself in our shoes and think of someone he lost on his soil - what would he do?"

Struggle continues for Bali Peace Park - Yahoo!7

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Faced with a greedy SOB trying to make a buck...I would tell him to shuv it and let him lose out altogether.

The memories are important, not the place.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
well, he's the owner. guess he can choose whatever he wants to do with it.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Whilst the actual site is a dusty carpark and a sad memory, as balibule says....it is privately owned and, unless there are laws to expropriate and use for 'whatever', I also suggest he can do as he/she/they like.

The memorial, just across the street, is beautiful and well viewed by those wishing to be respectful....and curious tourists alike.

If the owners are clearly out to 'play hardball with mourners' maybe it's better to use their contributions towards a memorial plaque to explain why it isn't the actual site.....than be blackmailed. Then perhaps a realistic resolution can ultimately be achieved.

I recall in Japan a hardball player wouldn't release a small property to the Municipality for access to a recreation park unless they paid X times its value. The Japanese Gov't built a new recreation park and constructed a freeway directly in front...his property is now valueless!

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
I think I know who is the owner of the spot and with the risk of being called insensitive, I think that arrogant bastard has the right to do whatever he wants with his property.:icon_lol:
$ 2,5 million is not enough to replace the commercial value for that place, so i guess he would be reluctant to give it up, maybe they could offer to buy the spot next to that site and swap with him?
I heard that Pastika is not happy with his decision and didn't allow him to rebuild the place, in other words, the owner are forced to take a cut or give it up with the current compensation

Looking from the owner's perspective, I guess i would be angry also if I lost my business due to a bomb and then forced to sell them without proper compensation. Just like Tom Cruise words in Jerry Maguire, he would only say: "show me the money":icon_evil:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I have no knowledge of the property value so cannot comment. My understanding, from the article, was that the owner was playing hardball by asking much more than its assessed value, due to its history.

Most other countries have laws where requisitioning property for public use, and adequate compensation, are well established. I've read many times that land in Indonesia for highways etc. is difficult to procure, so does Indonesia have such law?

I'm humored by the announcement, every few months almost, of the location of Bali's new airport. I imagine scurrying speculators bumping into each other as they attempt to buy the property they believe will go up in value, as the Gov't will need to buy the land and they can then demand X times real value. My view is that is why the location is constantly moved...those speculators are left with worthless land...or at least..worth less than they thought.:miserable:

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
I have no knowledge of the property value so cannot comment. My understanding, from the article, was that the owner was playing hardball by asking much more than its assessed value, due to its history.

Most other countries have laws where requisitioning property for public use, and adequate compensation, are well established. I've read many times that land in Indonesia for highways etc. is difficult to procure, so does Indonesia have such law?

I'm humored by the announcement, every few months almost, of the location of Bali's new airport. I imagine scurrying speculators bumping into each other as they attempt to buy the property they believe will go up in value, as the Gov't will need to buy the land and they can then demand X times real value. My view is that is why the location is constantly moved...those speculators are left with worthless land...or at least..worth less than they thought.:miserable:

davita, the Indonesian government does have such a law, but I don't think it has been used yet in any highly publicized cases.

Land Acquisition Law in line with the Constitution: Court | The Jakarta Post

:topsy_turvy: