davita

Mar 13, 2012
My wife has just bought me a new cellphone as a present...a Samsung Galaxy Mega Duos 19152. This is my first smartphone. It is really, really smart and the screen is big for my fading eyesight, but can still fit my pocket...it does bulge a little but that surely is a bonus....right?

My reason to post (boast) is I'm looking for smart phone people to advise their opinion on this gadget.

I'm slowly but surely getting to grips with some of the Apps like whatsapp and viber and using the GPS. I can also see my email but I'm used to AOL as my browser, on my computer, and all my favorites (like Balipod) are on AOL, and a one button push to access.
Is there a way to download AOL and those favorites to my phone? I've searched the internet and get lots of responses but I'm afraid to open as they may contain a virus. Is there a way to connect the USB multi-use charger cord to my computer and just download thru' the USB?

The Samsung info can be downloaded but its also smart...I'd need a Phd to understand! And it doesn't cover this subject.

Thanks for any tips as I'm new to this.

ps. A good friend is happy as my old phone used to auto-call him (he was first on my contact list) when it moved in my pocket...I've had that cheap Nokia for a year and only now been shown how to lock the keyboard....DUH!..:icon_eek:

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
I have a Nokia...going on 8 years old and damn proud of it too.

However, I bought a samsung tablet, probably the size one up from yours, but do not use it as a phone as looks stooopid holding a small dinner plate size gadget to your head....however, I hope your battery lasts longer than mine, not 10 months yet and lasts only 40min max.

If I had known how pathetic smart phone or tablet, batteries were, I would not have bought one....even when working what was supposed to be properly...it lasted no more than 8 hours or so.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Congrats on the lunge into the 21st century, stay calm and be patient. Having only had Apple "preeeecccioussss" smart phones (I get them free) I can only advise that to improve your runtime/battery turn off all the multitudes of stuff that is running in the backgound - like GPS or wifi when you don't need it and the data connection from your provider isn't needed 24/7 either. Just go through all the menus and turn off what you don't know or need until you get down to having just a phone again. The other goodies can be turned on when you need them.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks Markit....'stay calm and be patient'...is good advice but I have to confess to a little excitement with my new toy. Best present I've received since I got a revolver gun with a sucker projectile on a stick that used an elastic band as gunpowder...from my mum...about 70 years ago! And the most expensive since I bought myself a USD250,000 yacht!!!

I'll look into what I can shut-down...the gadget comes with 3 screen pages of Apps and I've downloaded a few since....the most useful being a flashlight...it helps reading the menu in a dark restaurant...:icon_eek:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Is there a way to download AOL and those favorites to my phone?
I don't know anything about AOL browsers, but would expect you could dump your favourites/bookmarks to a file, then import them to your preferred browser on the Samsung.
I've searched the internet and get lots of responses but I'm afraid to open as they may contain a virus.

THere is no virus risk from reading posts on blogs or forums or wherever. Go ahead, read and see if there are steps you could follow.
Is there a way to connect the USB multi-use charger cord to my computer and just download thru' the USB?
Yes, this will be possible, but probably easiest to let the phone use it's own data connection.
The Samsung info can be downloaded but its also smart...I'd need a Phd to understand! And it doesn't cover this subject.

When I first switched from Nokia to an Android phone (about 3 years ago) I found that for the simplest things I was a bit stumped. Googling for help was the way to go like typing "how to get contacts from my Nokia onto Android" or whatever. Recently, I changed from my first Android phone (it as a Huawei) to my second (a Samsung) - and the move was so painless because everything (contacts, favourites, etc) were saved in the "cloud" by Google and just turned up on the new phone.
A good friend is happy as my old phone used to auto-call him (he was first on my contact list) when it moved in my pocket...I've had that cheap Nokia for a year and only now been shown how to lock the keyboard....DUH!..:icon_eek:

If you stick your smartphone in your pocket while the touch screen is still active - there is no telling what it may do. Take care and switch off the screen before pocketing.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks Ronb...I get what you advise.
I'd like to keep AOL as I've been used to it for so long and my email is there....I was just wondering if I can download my favorite 'file' using the straight data USB connector that comes with the phone...it is a multi-charger/connector device. I'm working on this.

My wife commands me to change to google ....but it means starting over.....and I kinda like my wife....:cupcake:

The virus problem that scares me is when it says to click on a website......last time I followed one of those 'clean-up helpers' it invaded me. I have better anti-virus now.

My previous button-front simple Nokia did exactly that until I found the screen can be locked....Duh! My previous phone to that was a flip-top so no problem. This Samsung has a very nice protective back and screen cover which, I just found out, doesn't even need to be opened to answer the phone. Pretty neat!

Appreciate all help and advice.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I believe you need a Google account (ie. gmail) to access the Google app store (called Google play), back up your contacts etc as Ron has done. It looks like Android has an AOL app, so you could install that to access your AOL email: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aol.mobile.aolapp

The easiest way to access the forum, is to enter the URL directly in the browser, ie: https://balipod.com/forum/ Then if you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you can select the mobile style.

The mobile style works fairly well on my Google nexus, but I hate typing on it, so I use it just for reading. The default browser on your phone is probably Google chrome. If you use that on your laptop also and you log into your new gmail account, your bookmarks and some other data, like recently visited sites, will be available on your phone also. So if you import your bookmarks from AOL into Chrome on your laptop, they should automatically be synched to your phone.

Last edited by a moderator: