hi everybody,
introducing myself to this community. My lovely Belgian girlfriend Eve and I have been sailing (and travelling) around the world last half decade and finally decided to settle down, guess where? it's definitely not Belgium :anonymous:
We're both architects specialized in health and feng shui and we are so keen on designing/building our own Balinese house.
I was here some 15 years ago -yet with another Belgian girlfriend- but completely fell in love with the place, the culture, the Balinese!
However, last year when I came back, I was shocked! I couldn't believe the amount of trucks, motorcycles, traffic jams and noise, it was awful! My memories were shattered!
Only a couple of days later, when we started acclimatizing around Ubud, the bug creeped in, couldn't fight it much longer. BALI! THIS is the place that we've been looking for, especially since we might start a family, who knows?
We've been reading and absorbing many of your experiences on the forum, and found it an amazing source of information. Thank you all for that!
Would love some more hints on practicalities though, planning to buy land/build around central or East Bali...

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
My almost priceless advice can be had very cheaply.

Did you bring cheese or whisky?

Oh for a small slice of Limberger or Passendale....

Welcome aboard Captian (and second mate?)

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Couple of years ago, I discovered genuine Dutch Gouda made from goat milk. Does not taste like the classic Gouda, softer taste, with a definite nutty flavor. Ever tried it?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Sorry Me_shell, we're just B.Sing. Happens a lot here.

Can't understand this weird pre-occupation with rotten milk myself but people are all different.

Daniel can you please email me a small piece?

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Thanks a lot guys, no problem, we 'd love to meet any of you next month when we're back!
(at the moment we're in Oz, selling the boat)
It also seems to me that the lack of good cheese is a serious issue in Bali, someone should start a business! - not me, though! :icon_razz:[/QUO
The things you mentioned that you found distasteful about the present in Bali are largely absent in West Bali. After 5 years near Ubud I moved to West Bali 7 years ago, and wouldn't trade it for any other location. Give it a try.
On the downside is the highway which is burdened by large trucks particularly in the afternoon, but can be avoided driving earlier. Also there is a lack of large supermarkets, but the trade-off is worth it.

Dunaden

Nov 18, 2012
Noosa Heads
Mugwump, thanks for your advice on Sanur , and Davita, wherever yu are thanks for the meat tips-I will be definately trying all the suggestions, as Carrefour scared me a bit-we got bacon or ham there and when I opened the packet it was not a nice smell. When you say West Bali what do you mean precisely please? :)

Well talking about smelly cheese, you think that Limburger has a funny smell? There 's a french cheese called "camembert affiné au Calvados" -Basically camenbert/reel calvados mixed flavor, its pretty amazing, but you do not want that thing laying around the house, not even around town for that matter. Hope you don't know anybody smelling like that! :D

and Mugwump, it's true, I've never been around western Bali, could you suggest any particular area?
I've red there are some Muslim communities in the west, how can I put it, I 'm more a Hindu kind of person...

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Mugwump, thanks for your advice on Sanur , and Davita, wherever yu are thanks for the meat tips-I will be definately trying all the suggestions, as Carrefour scared me a bit-we got bacon or ham there and when I opened the packet it was not a nice smell. When you say West Bali what do you mean precisely please? :)
The highway from Denpasar to Gilimanuk is bordered on the north by the regency of Jembrana. This is the northern part of what is known as West Bali, and is the particular area to which I am referring. Jembrana is the most sparsely settled of all Bali regencies and still has affordable beachfront property and people not yet jaded by tourist contamination. It is worthy of an investigation. If you have particular inquiries let me know.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Daniel can you please email me a small piece?

Goat Gouda
Over twenty years ago, we had a request from the man who originated "The Cellar" at Macy's. "I want the Dutch Goat cheese I tasted when I was in Holland," he said. We took a trip to Amsterdam and inquired on his behalf to all of our suppliers and any cheese producers we could find. We had no success. There was not an ounce of Dutch goat cheese anywhere! Two decades since that adventure, Dutch goat cheese is still a rarity, except, that is, for Goat Gouda. A few entrepreneurial Dutchmen discovered that Gouda, the cheese people most commonly associate with Holland, could be made from goat's milk as well. Goat Gouda has proven wildly popular in Europe and is starting to turn heads here in the States, too. This satiny, bright white cheese is now manufactured by several Dutch cheese producers, but in our opinion, our Chevre Blanc brand is the best Goat Gouda around. If you like goat cheese, we strongly suggest you try this tangy, satiny, mouth-watering gem.

Attachments

• goatgou.jpg
    goatgou.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 68

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Since I'm only allowed 10 items on my bucket list I'm afraid "Having wild sex with a large dark-skinned lady on top of the Eiffel tower in front of a large crowd clapping the rythme" has just been kicked off in favour of this cheese so if it's not as good as you say I'm coming to Boston.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Well talking about smelly cheese, you think that Limburger has a funny smell? There 's a french cheese called "camembert affiné au Calvados" -Basically camenbert/reel calvados mixed flavor, its pretty amazing, but you do not want that thing laying around the house, not even around town for that matter. Hope you don't know anybody smelling like that! :D

and Mugwump, it's true, I've never been around western Bali, could you suggest any particular area?
I've red there are some Muslim communities in the west, how can I put it, I 'm more a Hindu kind of person...
The Hindus pretty well control things, and with fewer people in general there is less to control. Really not a negative. Best thing to do is to check it out, and let me know beforehand. I will be happy to meet with you and be objective about things including locations.