davita

Mar 13, 2012
Here's a twist...maybe Karma from when a money changer tried to steal from my wife.
from Jakpost today....

BADUNG, BALI: The police have arrested a Russian national, Kriukov Pavel, who they claim robbed a money exchange company in South Kuta on Thursday. Police say they arrested the Russian man while he was trying to escape with Rp 28.7 million (US$2,192.5) he got from the money changer’s safe deposit box.
South Kuta Police chief Comr. I Wayan Latra said the robbery happened on Thursday at the PT Arta Jaya Dewata money changer on Jl. Raya Uluwatu in South Kuta, Badung. “He pretended to change his money, but then attacked the cashier and took the money from the safe deposit box,” he said.
A staff member of the money changer, Ayu Agustina, was hit and strangled during the incident. “The money changer staff got a minor injury,” Latra said.
Latra added that the case was still being investigated. “Pavel hasn’t issued any statement and continues to keep his mouth shut,” he said. — JP

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
The last one to try that with me got more than he bargained for. He counted out the Rp, all good, then asked for 20,000 or something to round it up and while I was fishing out the note he pocketed a couple of hundred from the pile. I counted it again and found the shortfall and went into mad Scotsman mode: I grabbed my dollars back, knocked over his flimsy counter and stomped it into matchsticks. I suppose it was a risky thing to do but I got out OK and nobody followed up. I had a look a week or so later and he was still there, sleeping at the back of his shop. I left him well alone this time.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
The last one to try that with me got more than he bargained for. He counted out the Rp, all good, then asked for 20,000 or something to round it up and while I was fishing out the note he pocketed a couple of hundred from the pile. I counted it again and found the shortfall and went into mad Scotsman mode: I grabbed my dollars back, knocked over his flimsy counter and stomped it into matchsticks. I suppose it was a risky thing to do but I got out OK and nobody followed up. I had a look a week or so later and he was still there, sleeping at the back of his shop. I left him well alone this time.

Good job SamD....but risky knowing how mob rule exists...just yelling Maling! Maling! and a hundred men will emerge with sticks and knives.

But still good info for those unaware that slipping notes, after counting, while diverting attention, is a standard practice with these street currency bandits.