Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
When I was first discharged from hospital well over a year ago now, I was totally immobile, I could not sit, stand or function unaided.
One of our downstairs rooms was converted into a 'sick room' it measures 4 x 4 and was newly painted in bright yellow, it has two large windows facing North, light and airy with cool sea breezes in the afternoon.
It was fitted out with a double bed, bedside cabinet, utility trolley and a wardrobe, certainly enough basics to get by whilst I worked on getting upright and moving on my own again.
However, I was impatient and getting mobile was taking a lot longer than I thought it would, things were dragging. My son was my constant helper and companion, and as he was spending a lot of time 'on duty' in what more or less amounted to a 'private clinic' he decided that the room needed 'livening up' and promptly started moving in what he considered 'essentials' to the life of a normal 9yo lad.

As of this morning here is the inventory, three large LEGO storage boxes , the stacking kind approx 500x300x300mm (with wheels), five medium LEGO storage boxes (sorted into colours black, white, grey, red, dark green) three five drawer storage units containing 'stuff' including an impressive array of 'tools' liberated from my old office, three boxes of CD Roms/Games/music/Mr Bean-Blackadder, a two drawer DVD storage unit, a medium sized Coolbox on wheels containing 'consumables' of an unidentified nature, a suitcase full of sports related attire including seven baseball caps and six pairs of smoked/reflector lens Kings Safety Glasses, his electric guitar (a short scale Strat), two bags of outgrown clothes (?), a bag full of books, three packs of colouring pens/pencils/highlighters and a box of paint/marker pens, again 'found' in my office, two whiteboards, a cork pinboard, a folding table (for LEGO projects), two draughts/chess boards extensively adapted to Angry Birds/Plants vs Zombies scenarios, two huge piles of A4 paper/files (mostly of drawings of SWAT/Terminator/weapons/GTA for reference in conjunction with LEGO projects) seven 'guns' in various stages of being 'modified, a box of wire/plastic tubing/glue/duct tape/wood/paint/playdoh for 'modifying' guns, various playdoh 'keepers' including a totem pole, a bowl of fruit, a basket of vegetables and a plate of fish and chips, three NERF guns and various 'ammo', a broken supersoaker currently being 'modified' ... and a smelly stuffed dog that needs a bath!

His BMX was moved in temporarily whilst being 'modified' but as this prevented wheelchair access it now only comes in during 'rebuilds'.

The walls previously bare now have a 'Nine Point Road Safety Sign' (including instructions to motorcyclists on how to behave at red lights - do not smoke, do not text, do not sleep and do not take off your shoes - ... which if you know anything at all about Indonesia seems perfectly good advice to me... a World Map with some international borders redefined ...sorry to all Canadians but you are now part of mainland China... the map also includes a large sniper style 'target' taped up with the 'cross-hairs' firmly fixed over 'The Dark Place'... S*nd*rl*nd...

There are also several family and 'boat pics' taped up, including some of my prized autographs which I thought had long ago been
'borrowed' ... sure enough some bastard stole the frames that previously adorned my office walls but left the now fading pics of Alan Shearer, Supermac and Jerry Lee Lewis... however they did nick Phil Collins, Eric Clapton, Vinnie Jones and Sean Bean...
Says a lot about me I suppose ... AND the thieves... ?

In the limited space available, I have managed to squeeze in a desktop PC and a printer...

So as it stands, we have approx one square metre of floorspace left and not one empty shelf/drawer/storage facility in the whole room ... got to be said... its a wee bit cramped... and d'you know what... I wouldn't swap it for the Presidential/Justin Beiber Suite at the Marina Bay Sands...

...ahhhh wait a minute... WTF is this under the bed?