Road From Mengwi To Singaraja?

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Have a meeting coming up that requires a specific time to arrive in Singaraja in mid-morning and need info. concerning the new road from Mengwi to Singaraja.
Tried google and couldn't even find a decent picture of the new road:
1. Is the new road a toll road?
2.is the road just 2 lanes?
3.is the road usually slowed down by truck traffic?
4.saw a time of travel about 1.5 hours........is that realistic?
Really appreciate prior traveler's info.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
I'm searching a map of these new roads since ever....perhaps it's a kept secret like the holy grail? Perhaps the idea behind is that if nobody uses the road it'll stay in a good shape longer?

Reactions: mugwump

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
I'm searching a map of these new roads since ever....perhaps it's a kept secret like the holy grail? Perhaps the idea behind is that if nobody uses the road it'll stay in a good shape longer?
The "so called" shortcut ,I reckon saves about 5 minutes ,change gear twice and youve passed it ,it still takes around 3 hours depending on the amount of trucks .

Reactions: mugwump

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Had to laugh because it is so ridiculously true! There are a bunch of pictures of congratulatory:) officials, but nothing depicting the completed road!

chrisco

Nov 28, 2010
Shortcut is a misnomer, the existing road is being straightened. It's not a toll road and remains two lanes, though the upgraded sections aren't congested with warungs, etc.

The new sections aren't long but quite noticeable as some cut through the hillside to join previous sections of winding road.

This has been ongoing for the past few years with some fairly major civil works around Bedugul and on the Singaraja side. Is said to completed by end 2023. Yet to be seen what the travel time to Denpasar will be like, though it's already quicker than it used to be.

Would allow two and a half hours for the trip if the traffic is okay, but would think getting through Bedugul on public holidays will still slow traffic down.

Biggest problem with going to Denpasar is the traffic jams in Denpasar itself. Our daughter took six hours to get to the airport yesterday, though most of that was getting through the city.

So glad not to live anywhere near Denpasar anymore!

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
Shortcut is a misnomer, the existing road is being straightened. It's not a toll road and remains two lanes, though the upgraded sections aren't congested with warungs, etc.
The new sections aren't long but quite noticeable as some cut through the hillside to join previous sections of winding road.

This has been ongoing for the past few years with some fairly major civil works around Bedugul and on the Singaraja side. Is said to completed by end 2023. Yet to be seen what the travel time to Denpasar will be like, though it's already quicker than it used to be.

Would allow two and a half hours for the trip if the traffic is okay, but would think getting through Bedugul on public holidays will still slow traffic down.

Biggest problem with going to Denpasar is the traffic jams in Denpasar itself. Our daughter took six hours to get to the airport yesterday, though most of that was getting through the city.

So glad not to live anywhere near Denpasar anymore!
6 hours from where? I find that hard to believe. I drive from Tabanan to Sanur regularly both in a car and a motorbike. I drive right through the heart of Denpasar and have never experienced anything of that magnitude. Sure, there are a few intersections that get backed up but nothing that crazy.