Retirement Visa....

Momoney

Feb 20, 2019
Texas
Do you need medical insurance to get a retirement visa? If so and you can’t get insurance because your old, how does that work! Sounds like a catch 22.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
One of the many reasons most of us choose to live here is that "musts", as opposed to "cans" are very flexible. For instance: I know of people (big smile) that have successfully used the 1 year international licenses that their friends bring over to drive here - having only swapped out the real picture with one of their own. You need to approach "problems" constructively and with courage. Good luck and good Photoshopping.

• Haha
Reactions: Balifrog

harryopal

May 5, 2016
A recently departed former contributor, Davita overcame the problems associated with impossibly expensive insurance as you get older by opening a bank account which he called "health insurance account" and paying each year into a fund that grew instead of enriching voracious insurance companies. It worked for him and if you search through threads to do with insurance and health you may find the details.

Reactions: matsaleh

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
A recently departed former contributor, Davita overcame the problems associated with impossibly expensive insurance as you get older by opening a bank account which he called "health insurance account" and paying each year into a fund that grew instead of enriching voracious insurance companies. It worked for him and if you search through threads to do with insurance and health you may find the details.
Although a great idea this doesn't obviate the need for showing some form of health insurance to get a visa. The dearly departed was married to an Indonesian so didn't need the insurance proof.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Kerobokan has a certain mystique and you may meet a British Pakistani lady who can teach you the finer points of face slapping and abusing public officials.

Reactions: Momoney

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Hi Momoney, what Markit is saying makes some sense. I suggest you find an agent recommended by others, then what she says you need is the yardstick you need to measure up against.

Momoney

Feb 20, 2019
Texas
Hi Momoney, what Markit is saying makes some sense. I suggest you find an agent recommended by others, then what she says you need is the yardstick you need to measure up against.

Hi Ron
I think my dreams have been dashed unless someone has a wife or friend who knows someone that is knowledgeable.
I think in Thailand you only need to have a certain amount of money in a Thai bank and a certain amount per month and you’re go to go.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Jeeez if you give up that easily you should stay where you are because the expat life is anything but easy. If you think it's just a continuous round of cucumber sandwiches, cricket and slow-gins then you really should examine your ideas and see if they are realistic. I know many that have this picture of their "retirement" that has absolutely nothing at all to do with reality and once they've cashed in everything back home and landed on those promised shores hate it but can't return as all bridges have been burned.

• Haha
Reactions: Normy and Balifrog

Momoney

Feb 20, 2019
Texas
Jeeez if you give up that easily you should stay where you are because the expat life is anything but easy. If you think it's just a continuous round of cucumber sandwiches, cricket and slow-gins then you really should examine your ideas and see if they are realistic. I know many that have this picture of their "retirement" that has absolutely nothing at all to do with reality and once they've cashed in everything back home and landed on those promised shores hate it but can't return as all bridges have been burned.

Thanks Markit....I can always use a good slap in the face and it was well taken! Life is random, cruel and wonderful all at the same time. Reality is harsh and sometimes an ugly thing. I think some people drink and smoke to escape it. I don’t smoke or drink but I’m willing to learn!
I picture myself living in a beautiful villa practicing yoga and tai chi by the pool with visions of unicorns and rainbows or not!
I am not running from anything, I just think Bali is beautiful, however, I could do with out the traffic.
I’m still trying to figure out how to fake medical insurance for a retirement visa.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Thanks Markit....I can always use a good slap in the face and it was well taken! Life is random, cruel and wonderful all at the same time. Reality is harsh and sometimes an ugly thing. I think some people drink and smoke to escape it. I don’t smoke or drink but I’m willing to learn!
I picture myself living in a beautiful villa practicing yoga and tai chi by the pool with visions of unicorns and rainbows or not!
I am not running from anything, I just think Bali is beautiful, however, I could do with out the traffic.
I’m still trying to figure out how to fake medical insurance for a retirement visa.
Your picture of your perfect future is absolutely possible but that's not all you will be doing. And therein lies the rub with many dreams - they just don't encompass enough of the day to day normal tedium that we call "living". The most successful expats that I know have a "job" - I don't mean "employment" for gain, although that works too, but just something they love doing that takes some time every day and keeps them busy. If your vision of heaven is lying by the pool sipping Daiquiris you can only realistically do that for a couple of months and then it turns into real "work". If you do catch a small brown woman then the first 6 months will be wonderful (but tiring) but then she and you will need something else to do... think it through (or dream, equally valid) and go after that "reality" with passion.

Momoney

Feb 20, 2019
Texas
If you think you need to "fake" things, its a bad start.....

Sorry guys, I was hoping my humor was apparent. I will not be faking anything..... I’m definitely afraid of Bali jail! Also, proceed with caution in uncharted waters.

Momoney

Feb 20, 2019
Texas
Your picture of your perfect future is absolutely possible but that's not all you will be doing. And therein lies the rub with many dreams - they just don't encompass enough of the day to day normal tedium that we call "living". The most successful expats that I know have a "job" - I don't mean "employment" for gain, although that works too, but just something they love doing that takes some time every day and keeps them busy. If your vision of heaven is lying by the pool sipping Daiquiris you can only realistically do that for a couple of months and then it turns into real "work". If you do catch a small brown woman then the first 6 months will be wonderful (but tiring) but then she and you will need something else to do... think it through (or dream, equally valid) and go after that "reality" with passion.

Thank you....a point well taken! I feel most retirees have this issue no matter where they are....I have felt it here in the States. I think the issue is exacerbated in a foreign country because of the language and having little incommon. I think I’ll take up smoking and drinking

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
Thank you....a point well taken! I feel most retirees have this issue no matter where they are....I have felt it here in the States. I think the issue is exacerbated in a foreign country because of the language and having little incommon. I think I’ll take up smoking and drinking
I have an agent who has just obtained a retirement visa for an unmarried man. Give me your WhatsApp address as a PM and I'll pass it on. After that it's up to the agent.

Momoney

Feb 20, 2019
Texas
I have an agent who has just obtained a retirement visa for an unmarried man. Give me your WhatsApp address as a PM and I'll pass it on. After that it's up to the agent.

I’m not sure I communicated properly. I thought my WhatsApp address was my name and phone number. Did you receive anything?