dav733

Dec 29, 2016
hi Susan ,
I am new to the forum,,and am interested in retiring in Bali,,,I was born in australia and have resided here all my life i am 66 and turning 67 in april 2017. Am still working ,,but its getting harder every year,,so have to do it early 2017,,,unfortunately lost everything a few times for various reasons ,so have few assets ,,and it would be very hard to live on the pension here in Oz.
Been to Bali 7 times b4 ,3 times in 2016 ,,have developed quite a few friends there ,,it seems like my best choice .
sorry for so much preamble ,,,you seem to have a lot of knowledge regarding requirements to retire there on an australian pension etc ,,,I have done quite a bit of research and have a basic idea of costs to live there. How would I go about applying for the oz pension,,any ideas/advice would be appreciated .
thanks Dave

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I get the feeling that this Ozzy pension is a bit stealthed - I know lots of people living here permanently that get it but according to most of the things I read and hear it's not legal, or perhaps better said, not allowed.

I'm guessing that the owners of said Balinese/Oz pensions are being a bit pussy about explaining exactly how they manage to swing it?

Could someone please manthe****up and give all those poor bastards that haven't got the wherewithal to figure out the angles themselves a better description then we can all link to it and job done!

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
It is perfectly legal for an Australian age pensioner to live permanently in Indonesia. Subject of course to Indonesian visa requirements. After a certain period (was 13 weeks) you lose supplements intended to assist with utility payments. Power, phone, water, etc. You also loose the pensioner concession card which rebates council rates etc., free public transport.
A friend who has lived in Bali past 7 years in receipt of the aged pension has had his payments changed from fortnightly to monthly. Not sure why.

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
It is perfectly legal for an Australian age pensioner to live permanently in Indonesia. Subject of course to Indonesian visa requirements. After a certain period (was 13 weeks) you lose supplements intended to assist with utility payments. Power, phone, water, etc. You also loose the pensioner concession card which rebates council rates etc., free public transport.
A friend who has lived in Bali past 7 years in receipt of the aged pension has had his payments changed from fortnightly to monthly. Not sure why.

That is my understanding too, although it isn't immediately apparent after initial investigations. You have to dig a little deeper into the red tape. The impression I get is that the Aussie government tends to turn up its collective nose to those citizens who choose to live overseas and claim the pension. They grudgingly concede that you may have paid into the system for 35 years and so are entitled to some sort of concession but are not particularly happy about it. "Don't you love us anymore?" seems to be the sentiment, "So why don't you want to live here, you ungrateful basta*ds? Not good enough for you now?".

PS. If you are a retired politician, the rules are different. My advice to any young chap/chapess looking for an easy life and an early retirement: become an Australian senator, play the game for ten years, retire gracefully, and then you are on a perpetual index-linked gravy train until you finally pop your clogs.

I can't wait!

Last edited:

dav733

Dec 29, 2016
I get the feeling that this Ozzy pension is a bit stealthed - I know lots of people living here permanently that get it but according to most of the things I read and hear it's not legal, or perhaps better said, not allowed.

I'm guessing that the owners of said Balinese/Oz pensions are being a bit pussy about explaining exactly how they manage to swing it?

Could someone please manthe****up and give all those poor bastards that haven't got the wherewithal to figure out the angles themselves a better description then we can all link to it and job done!

I always thought the purpose of a forum ,is to help,from people who have already been thr done that etc,,,give advice to anyone in need ?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I always thought the purpose of a forum ,is to help,from people who have already been thr done that etc,,,give advice to anyone in need ?

Ummm, that's exactly what I'm trying to say with "Could someone please manthe****up and give all those poor bastards (You) that haven't got the wherewithal to figure out the angles themselves a better description then we can all link to it and job done!"

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
@ dav733. Dave as soon as you cease working you are of an eligible age to apply for oz age pension. Go to your nearest centrelink office and complete the application, or apply by phone, or via the internet. You can earn $164 a fortnight without affecting your pension.