Retirement Visa details

NED

Jun 4, 2005
Sydney
Roy, in a previous post I thought your said you would soon be eligible for a retirement visa?

Perhaps you just jest! :p

You talk about going to Thailand to renew your visa and of course owning a gallery would not qualify you for such a visa anyway.

I'm am curious as I approach retirement in Bali.

Ned

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Hi Rog, yes, bule refers to white folks as you say. It is not considered rude. The word "tamu" means guest, and be either white or non white. In Thailand we whites are farangs, and in China, guilo.

Ned, for the retirement visa, age 55 is the minimum age to qualify. Unfortunately my vested pension in the states, and social security won't kick in until I am 65.

NED

Jun 4, 2005
Sydney
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I receive my Australian government superannuation payout at age 60 at the end of the year. So I could apply for a retirement visa in Bali. However, I plan to exhbit my photographic work so this will exclude me I guess.

Ned

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Hey Roy,

Just a thought about the Social Security. I have an American friend who lives in Bali and started taking his social security at 62. We had a conversation about this and he told me to do the math. Unless you're planning on a very long life, taking ss at 62 makes some sense. I'd have to live to be 74 before waiting until 66 (which is the age that we have to wait now before the full ss kicks in) makes financial sense. Just a thought.

And while I'm here congrats on the 2000th post. Hoping to meet sometime this summer.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Dr. Bruce, many thanks for that suggestion. I haven’t checked to see how much less the monthly benefits would be at 62 versus waiting until 65, and I still have plenty of time before reaching 62. One wonders if there will be any money left in the Social Security fund at that time anyway. I’m part of that so called “baby boomer generation” that may bankrupt the whole system.
:shock:

Dr. Bruce, I was wondering if you checked out the string on the NG sponsored genographic program and had any comments on it? If you haven’t read the string yet, you’ll need to scroll down a bit on the expat forum.

Many thanks on the congrats, and yes it will be great to finally meet.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I just think that cat owners should be responsible for their cats.

In England, legally, I believe owners are responsible for their dogs actions because they can be trained but as far as cats go not as they cant be trained. Maybe I am wrong & I am sure I will be corrected pronto but....

If at the end of the day if cats are where they shouldnt be..... it is because MAN put them there so why should they pay a price for it?

God created all creatures if we moved them around that is down to us not them!

All hate mail to hate@mimpimanis.com