Renting vs buying (/w prenup)

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
This may fly in the face of some earlier comments but we ,after finding and leasing our land , drew up the plan, gave an Australian ex headmaster, who runs and leases villas at Private Ubud Villas, the money to build, went back to Australia, came back a year later and bingo it was all built. A 3 bedroom cement rendered, tile roof villa , fully furnished, garden all laid out ,pool crystal clear, tv ,stove, cooking utensils, books, pictures on the wall, the lot just walk in.. 5 years later it’s still immaculate. In my experience Balinese tend not to keep up general maintenance so after the initial build it just deteriorates. I suppose it all boils down to who is honest and who isn’t. We must have been lucky I guess.

Reactions: tel522

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
This may fly in the face of some earlier comments but we ,after finding and leasing our land , drew up the plan, gave an Australian ex headmaster, who runs and leases villas at Private Ubud Villas, the money to build, went back to Australia, came back a year later and bingo it was all built. A 3 bedroom cement rendered, tile roof villa , fully furnished, garden all laid out ,pool crystal clear, tv ,stove, cooking utensils, books, pictures on the wall, the lot just walk in.. 5 years later it’s still immaculate. In my experience Balinese tend not to keep up general maintenance so after the initial build it just deteriorates. I suppose it all boils down to who is honest and who isn’t. We must have been lucky I guess.

Very, VERY lucky.....

Reactions: tel522 and Balifrog

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
Well he had built and still manages about 23+ villas in Penestanan before us so we didn’t go in blind. He built 1,2 and 3 bedroom villas depending on the size of the land and all in a similar manner to ourselves. You can check his work out by looking at the website at privateubudvillas.com, ours is Villa Bindi. Due to the pandemic we have a Russian family in there on a permanent basis paying bugger all but keeping the place safe and the staff paid.
We just can’t wait to get back and check it all out and play about in the garden and catch up with friends. I do envy those of you who live there but it’s not possible for us.

Reactions: Markit

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
Well he had built and still manages about 23+ villas in Penestanan before us so we didn’t go in blind. He built 1,2 and 3 bedroom villas depending on the size of the land and all in a similar manner to ourselves. You can check his work out by looking at the website at privateubudvillas.com, ours is Villa Bindi. Due to the pandemic we have a Russian family in there on a permanent basis paying bugger all but keeping the place safe and the staff paid.
We just can’t wait to get back and check it all out and play about in the garden and catch up with friends. I do envy those of you who live there but it’s not possible for us.

I am very much hearing you. Damn these Ruski's !!
How come they can get to stay there but we are stuck here in OZ ?
Ahh well, when they open the borders the price of all the rents will go back up in Bali.

Cheers
Reminiscing
Ken

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
If you think your Indonesian wife is going to screw you for everything why did you marry her. So if you marry a girl from your home country, you get along with the In-laws, you buy a house settle down, look to the future, when you die the wife and kids get everything. But when you marry an Indonesian girl there only after your money, the in-laws, brothers and sisters are only trying to rip you off. :eek:
My advise is to find a lovely Indonesian Girl, look for a nice block of dirt, build a house of your dreams and have a beautiful life.
Don't listen to tales of old drunks and Bargirls

asholerex

Apr 30, 2021
I think the decision depends on how long you want to stay in the particular location. If it's for a short period, it's always advisable to rent but if it's for permanent residence or a long stay, buying will be better

harryopal

May 5, 2016
I think the decision depends on how long you want to stay in the particular location. If it's for a short period, it's always advisable to rent but if it's for permanent residence or a long stay, buying will be better
From the many posts on construction variability I suspect that it would better be to say that, " .....if it's for permanent residence or a long stay, buying "might" be better."

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
We'd all love to know what you paid?

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
I tell you what Markit, if we are ever allowed back to Bali I’ll invite you over to Lipah, which is nearer to you than Penestanan, and we can have a chat over a sherbet or three. Not too much mangina please as it’s quite a conservative little fishing village.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I tell you what Markit, if we are ever allowed back to Bali I’ll invite you over to Lipah, which is nearer to you than Penestanan, and we can have a chat over a sherbet or three. Not too much mangina please as it’s quite a conservative little fishing village.
I know Lipah. Go often (well, went) to comically named Vienna Beach Resort - great snorkeling and food.

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
Well we stay. (and have been for many years) at the other end of the beach, Bali Bhuana Beach, but either place, it matters not, in fact I’d settle on just about anywhere in Bali if we could just get out of Sydney. We are now an additional in a four week lockdown which, if that’s not enough caused by idiots who have and will be marching for for so called ‘Freedom‘ but in fact spread the virus even further causing even longer lockdowns.
Anyway, we have a date, Lipah ASAP, and it’s your shout.

Reactions: Markit