Renting an affordable house in Bali

Andrew P

Jan 21, 2017
Thanks Andrew. Looks good. But I do have a bit higher budget. Ive been told you can get people down to 6 months in advance! P.S. Dont get me wrong, your info is exactly what i was looking for, what I can get for my money. Cheers.

Cool, No worries - there are plenty of options for all budgets,I'm sure you will find something appropriate

Cheers

Andrew P

Jan 21, 2017
Cottages look fine for that money but what is the internet, security and traffic like?

Hi Markit

The internet at Panorama has been almost non existent the last 18 months but now active and working

I've had my own - Smartfren wireless Wi-Fi modem - 30 gig $30 a month- works great even up north.
Can stream TV shows from it with a few min head start.

Security is great - never had a problem,

Very nice place for people who would like a long stay
Beautiful gardens and pool - Interior décor is old, water marks etc. but when its yours you can pretty much do what you like with it.

The traffic in Legian/Kuta ?
no problem if you're on a bike

unless of course its a big one :)

lumumba

Sep 17, 2008
Bandung-Bali-Jakarta
Would suggest you come up to Karangasem - cheap digs, nice people, easy way of life and good weather (down south chances of hail, flash floods, white-outs, blizzards, etc) About the visas, personally if you aren't doing any identifiable "work" (lifting, digging, moving, managing, etc) would just come on the normal Social Visa (whether you are writing a book or your laundry list - who can say? and if it's not published it aint paying nothing either). We now have great internet with Indihome ISP. Ignore all the above if you want party-time 24/7.

how much to by land in Karangasem, per are ?
just an idea

Thanks

lumumba

Sep 17, 2008
Bandung-Bali-Jakarta
Would suggest you come up to Karangasem - cheap digs, nice people, easy way of life and good weather (down south chances of hail, flash floods, white-outs, blizzards, etc) About the visas, personally if you aren't doing any identifiable "work" (lifting, digging, moving, managing, etc) would just come on the normal Social Visa (whether you are writing a book or your laundry list - who can say? and if it's not published it aint paying nothing either). We now have great internet with Indihome ISP. Ignore all the above if you want party-time 24/7.

how much per are to buy land in Karangasem ? Just an idea because different locations different prices
Thanks

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Well that's a hard question because there's so much difference in land(s).

Firstly there aren't the places for sale that there used to be when I got here because the Balinese have gotten more affluent and don't need to sell any more, that has affected prices too.

I've said this here before if you want to buy land here freehold then you will be investing a significant amount of money so you need to do some work or expect to get ripped off. Just like it would be at home.

Ocean view land is going is going for about 200 juta/are (100sqmts). Ocean front - more, back in the sticks less, unless you are on a main road, then more - depending upon which road, etc. etc.

Reactions: lumumba

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
One of the beauties of living in Indonesia is that the question of legality is a more flowing and flexible entity.

For instance can you show me one court case where a foreigner was stripped of their freehold land?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I got to do a 2 hour long Question and Answer with Suzi on FB (not sure if it's still available) a couple of years ago because I badgered her into it.

All she'd ever done was publish the worst condemnations of everything around Bali and her house without and substance, making claims of skullduggery and corruption without any proof.

Simply playing on the most feared nightmares of every home owner that every bought a piece of Bali.

I wanted to know what was true and what was not.

The Oz press picked up on her story and like every other negative thing that can possibly be said about Bali they "bigged" it up massively without doing an research at all as far as I could see.

In my opinion I'm not sure she ever had any more claim to the house than the Indonesian woman/lover of her "husband" (was Suzi even married to him?).

In short, no facking idea.

lumumba

Sep 17, 2008
Bandung-Bali-Jakarta
Thanks again for all the info. Been to Bali many times , never looked at rentals. Lived in Yogyakata for about a year so I have knowledge of Indonesian life. Living in Jomtien, Thailand for last 14 years. Paying $800 Au a month to stay Jomtien Complex Condominium ,something similiar would be nice. Will pop over to Bali for a look around.
t
Well that's a hard question because there's so much difference in land(s).

Firstly there aren't the places for sale that there used to be when I got here because the Balinese have gotten more affluent and don't need to sell any more, that has affected prices too.

I've said this here before if you want to buy land here freehold then you will be investing a significant amount of money so you need to do some work or expect to get ripped off. Just like it would be at home.

Ocean view land is going is going for about 200 juta/are (100sqmts). Ocean front - more, back in the sticks less, unless you are on a main road, then more - depending upon which road, etc. etc.

THANKS