Villas of Bali ™ is the trusted real estate company that offers the most beautiful villas for sale on Bali. Visit our experienced and helpful staff in our office in Seminyak, or search the extensive villa listing online at www.balivillasales.com, providing the most exclusive properties for sale. Villas of Bali ™ stands for quality, integrity and trust. We help you save time and money, while providing you peace of mind of your property related needs. Send us an email to info@villasofbali.com, or call us at +62 878 6249 3526.

1. Welcome Guest to the new look Balipod. If you are an existing member, just sign up with your usual username/password. Any problems you can post them here
    Dismiss Notice

Renting an affordable house in Bali

Discussion in 'Bali Expat Forum' started by Kyle, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Kyle

Kyle New Member

Okay,

Perhaps you can help.

I'm seeking an affordable house to rent in Bali. My online search so far has been quite bad, with many properties being advertised for *huge* prices.

I am seeking something in the 400-500USD/mth range. I am a writer and I need to work from home so space and internet are important. Is this idea even feasible? I don't want to travel to SE Asia only to discover that I can't afford it.

Thanks,

K-

ps. I'm from Canada

2. davita

davita Active Member

Hi Kyle and welcome...I'm from Vancouver myself but permanently live in Bali now.
    It is difficult to simply answer you as all individuals have different interpretations of 'affordability' as everyone has different standards. i.e. My driver lives in a 1 room 'Kos' for about C$60/month but I could never live like that.
    My advice is to come to Bali as a tourist (cheap hotels abound) for a week or two and look around.
    Many grocery stores/restos/pubs/even telegraph poles have local adverts to view and you will get a feel for the place and its 'affordability'.
    Another way is to search for a 'guest house'. Local food is cheap as are scooters to rent, in Bali.
    BTW you will need an appropriate visa and work permit if you wish to work in Indonesia....and those aren't easy to attain.
    Good luck!

3. tel522

tel522 Member

davita is right , the best way is to arrive here choose an economic hotel and rent a scooter and do some research .
    It all depends on your taste and choice of areas , for example in the bukit and nusa dua areas for your budget you will find plenty of 1 and 2 bedroom houses inside your budget , but you will need to do some searching .

good luck!

4. Markit

Markit Active Member

Would suggest you come up to Karangasem - cheap digs, nice people, easy way of life and good weather (down south chances of hail, flash floods, white-outs, blizzards, etc) About the visas, personally if you aren't doing any identifiable "work" (lifting, digging, moving, managing, etc) would just come on the normal Social Visa (whether you are writing a book or your laundry list - who can say? and if it's not published it aint paying nothing either). We now have great internet with Indihome ISP. Ignore all the above if you want party-time 24/7.

5. ronb

ronb Active Member

Just to give you some guidance, the Ubud area is not as cheap as Karangasem, but those of us who live here think it is worth it for many reasons. You can look on the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/1523008504577896/ and you will discover that around Ubud your budget would get a one bedroom place without pool, 2 bedroom is more like $700, and touches like pool, great view, closeness to the centre, etc can up the price.

On your requirements for space and Internet, I would guess you will end up writing outdoors much of the time so look for balconies or bales (like gazebos) which are common. For Internet, I would restrict my search to only those places that already have Telkom's Indihome installed.

I hope this helps.