Rentals

RossM

Jan 19, 2022
I've been saying this for years! I am also branded as a tight ar$e for the same thing. I always get the "but in "insert home country here" the price would be so much cheaper, so why are you complaining?" line.

yes, that's true. but they are missing one big part. We are not in "insert home country here" We are in Indonesia and there is a fair price for everything here that is different than back home.

When locals "scam" foreigners, I do not blame them. They are only taking advantage of opportunities they've had in the past from foreigners with this mindset.
For 'foreigners with this mindset', insert 'morons'.

The problem is that they get caught up in the excitement of being in a foreign country, and feeling like multi millionaires. Of course,as you say, the locals are more than ready to capitalize on such stupidity.

I'm often intrigued at the Balinese' concept of karma. They're big on talking karma, but screwing their own, and tourists mercilessly is not considered bad karma. That is business, and if you get cleaned out, it's your fault.

Reactions: YachtRock

YachtRock

Nov 2, 2022
Tabanan, Bali
For 'foreigners with this mindset', insert 'morons'.

The problem is that they get caught up in the excitement of being in a foreign country, and feeling like multi millionaires. Of course,as you say, the locals are more than ready to capitalize on such stupidity.

I'm often intrigued at the Balinese' concept of karma. They're big on talking karma, but screwing their own, and tourists mercilessly is not considered bad karma. That is business, and if you get cleaned out, it's your fault.
Haha well, I was trying to be polite but I can't say I disagree with you on the moron thing. As for your point on karma, I would also like to learn more about it. I have a theory though.

My girlfriend calls all her fake Christian friends 'KTP Kristen's" as they are just Christian in name only. I wonder if the same applies to many Balinese here. They go through the motions of all the canang, and ceremonies and whatnot but at the end of the day, they might not believe in their religion at all. hence, they don't think twice when screwing someone over since they don't actually believe in karma.