BonditoBali

Sep 7, 2014
Hi everyone,
I'm planning a move to Bali soon and have a few questions regarding rental contracts/leases. I'd be grateful for your input.

I'm presuming that after arriving in Bali, I'll look around for properties advertised online/in newspapers/posted in telegraph poles or in cafes etc, and find the one I want. After checking out the property and negotiating the price for a year, I will need to sign a contract/lease.

1)Regarding the lease, should it be written in Indonesian? I read in a previous post that it must be in Indonesian. Is that correct?

2) Presuming it needs to be written in Indonesian, I imagine I'll need to have it translated so I can understand all the conditions/requirements. Is that normally done?

3) Should I see a notaris/notary public to get the contract checked?

4) Is it better to rent directly from the owner (cheaper?) or through an agency (more reliable?). Your thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

Peter Ka

Mar 31, 2010
1. In Indonesian with a 6000rp stamp.
2. Obviously you would want to understand what you are signing. Typically a contract has left side Indonesian right side English. Mind you that the English part is legally meaningless, so have it translated by someone you trust.
3. It would be better for you to hire a notary for a contract. But if the owner wants to screw with you, he will. Regardless if it is notarized or not.
3.a. One reason that a notary makes sense is that he/she is obliged to check if the person renting to you indeed can legally sign a contract. Many people have found out too late that a "gardener" signed the contract and ran off with their money.
4. I never understand this. An agency (almost) never has any legal authority to sign a rent contract. See 3.a. They can introduce you to the owner, and that is it. Their fee is usually paid by the owner.

IslandLife

Oct 13, 2014
Hi there,

I went through an agent and they provided me with two copies of the contract, one in English and one in Indonesian. It was probably more expensive to do it this way but she made it a very easy process and has since assisted me with other various things for the place including getting the internet and tv connected, organising staff etc.

IslandLife

Oct 13, 2014
Sounds great. Pass on the recommendation - who is "she"?

ah whoops, sorry! I went through Ari, who works for a few places I think, however I got in contact with her via Bali Long Term Rentals, they made everything really simple and straightforward.

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
I had guys riding round on bikes looking for places for me.....one day we went to 5 places i had already seen.....another guy is my new muslim friend named Rudy......another guy buys me coconuts......