Renew an (expired) California Driver's license?

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
Renew an (expired) California Driver's license? Oh gosh...well, here I am...getting ready to go on a driving trip in South Africa in a month. At least I noticed it!

So does anyone have experience in these matters? I am 67. Thought I would check in here before I proceed.

I have seen online answers that suggest that there is a 90-day grace period after expiration (which I am still in), and that I can do it all online with the CA DMV. I suppose they will send a new license to my CA address, we could have it forwarded to a friend in Singapore for pick-up. That seems to be the best case.

Will Avis still rent me a car in SA if the license says "Federal Limits Apply" at the top? Whatever is the reason for that new rule?

Thanks in advance if anyone has experience with any of this.

- Bill in Ubud

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Billt4SF
I think what JohnnyCool is relating to is your question has no relationship to this forum.
I suggest you search the web further for expat Californians that may have an answer for you.

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
S
Billt4SF
I think what JohnnyCool is relating to is your question has no relationship to this forum.
I suggest you search the web further for expat Californians that may have an answer for you.
Sure. Sorry.