Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Can anyone tell me what is the real purpose of the Banjar,are they associated with the police,are they just active in Bali,because I don't see anything like that in Surabaya,

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Can anyone tell me what is the real purpose of the Banjar,are they associated with the police,are they just active in Bali,because I don't see anything like that in Surabaya,

Good question Nydave as the Banjar in Bali is unique. It is autonomous to Government and police and, I'm told by a senior (non-Balinese) police officer that, except for serious crime, local interventions in Bali are controlled by the Kelian who call the police, if and when necessary.

Here is a link that better explains their function.....Banjar Bali: Village level government | Bali Blog

At a personal level I found that visiting the Banjar as soon as we moved into our house, paying respect and handing over a contribution, has benefitted our lifestyle here no end. Our Balinese maid delivers our annual contribution and we offer to assist in English language, or any other way, for the kid's education...this offer has not yet transpired but I know, when the 'pecalang' do their rounds to check on things, we are left alone.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Thank you,i read thru it and wow its pretty intense,it could be said they are involved in almost everything,i do remember them patrolling the areas where I lived,and also because my wife is from Java she used to get her Bali id from them,they were always nice and polite,they would come to the house to deliver it when they had it ready,correct me if im wrong but I guess its unique to Bali because its Hindu,not that there aren`t Hindu people in other parts of Indo but not in the same numbers as Bali,Thanks again,