Rainy Season Oh Yeah!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
In my - gulp - 9 years on Bali this, at least in my little part, seems to be by far the worst rainy season I've seen. In years gone by the skys would open for an hour or 2, usually conveniently at night, or occasionally there would be a light rain for several days. The whole thing would usually last about a month and then we'd all get on with the business of having a bloody good time.

This rainy season seems to have been going on now for about 3 months and with some serious water coming down and damned near on a daily basis.

From those that have been here longer I'd like to know if this is the new "normal" as some of my Bali friends are saying or is this a one-off?

As an aside the bloody mozzies are fecking awful this year too.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
road1.jpg road2.jpg And the roads over the mountains have taken a beating.

Attachments

• road3.jpg
    road3.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 16
  • road4.jpg
    road4.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 14
  • road5.jpg
    road5.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 14

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
I have been here 17 years and to me it is raining almost like the old days, of course not as much quantity in a short time as this year and this is more than what was usual for a rainy season.
In theory the rainy season suppose to be from November to April and in the old days, usually rained almost every day but for a short time and usually in the evenings or nights and sometimes quiet heavy as well, I am still remember having floods in my house but not for hours and hours.
It is so sad about the people passed away on Kintamani.
Markit, it could be nice if you tell us where that photos are taken in case we know somebody going to that areas. I read yesterday on Bali TV that the road from Bedugul to Singaraja passing Git Git was cut.
I do like rainy season and maybe this year it is too much but I personally was missing a proper rainy season for many years. The gardens, the flowers, the fresh, the water, the birds, the butterflies, the sound of the rain, the power of the rain.....
The terrible sad part are the victims of longsor and I guess with the poor quality of materials used to make the road many road will be broken and with holes all over Bali.
I read the south in Bali has a big serious problem of short of water, I wonder if this is helping the problem, and what about the rice fields, is this too much water for them? does this influence on the rice fields? and all the vegetables in Bedugul or the jeruk in Kintamani?

Reactions: Markit

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Markit, it could be nice if you tell us where that photos are taken in case we know somebody going to that areas. I read yesterday on Bali TV that the road from Bedugul to Singaraja passing Git Git was cut.

The pictures are from the Bedugul - Singaraja road.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Took a bike trip, between rains, yesterday and the mountains are soooo green it's almost purple. I love it too but now would be a fine time for it to stop ;O}