goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
Sanur/Sunrise Dam Gold Mine
After much discussion on the renovations being done by our esteemed moderater, my wife, daughter, TBMILITW (the best mother in law in the world-in Markit speak) and my self spent 2 days and nights at said homestay.
What a wonderful job Linda and her husband Nyoman have done in renovating this place. Very tasteful and functional, traditional and appealing. Just a stones throw from the infamous prison, everything is at your finger tips including laundry, shopping and a great warung just 2 minutes walk away.
Nyoman prepares a great breakfast, includes in the fare.
We certainly enjoyed the stay and a well done to the hosts for the work done to restore the home stay.
And yes Markit, 20% discount, no questions asked. :icon_wink:

Last edited:

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Thanks Steve. It was a pleasure to meet you and your family. We'll definitely catch up in Kuta before you go home. How are you enjoying Nyepi at the Harris?

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
goldminer said:
... Place is pretty full, mainly chinese and javanese, all in the pool!:icon_lol:

And maybe some Balinese who've decided to opt out of Nyepi? :icon_wink:

I read on balidiscovery.com the other day that, "the chairman of Hindu High Counsel of Bali (PHDI-Bali), IGN Sudiana Sudiana.......... said he hoped that local hotels would not accommodate Balinese Hindus seeking to avoid their Nyepi religious obligations through [staying] at a hotel. When a Balinese Hindu is for some reason compelled to stay in a hotel during this 24-hour period of silence he or she should follow the Brata Penyepian dogmas of silence and non-activity."

Full story here:

Bali News: There's a Kind of Hush

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
And maybe some Balinese who've decided to opt out of Nyepi? :icon_wink:

I read on balidiscovery.com the other day that, "the chairman of Hindu High Counsel of Bali (PHDI-Bali), IGN Sudiana Sudiana.......... said he hoped that local hotels would not accommodate Balinese Hindus seeking to avoid their Nyepi religious obligations through [staying] at a hotel. When a Balinese Hindu is for some reason compelled to stay in a hotel during this 24-hour period of silence he or she should follow the Brata Penyepian dogmas of silence and non-activity."

It seems so unlike the liberal and accepting Balinese to try to enforce "dogmas of silence and non-activity" amongst the Balinese Hindus. IGN Sudiana Sudiana would have had his hands full today at our Balinese homestay. Last year we were in a hotel on Monkey Forest Road where the silence at the hotel and in the surrounding area was profound.

I was looking forward to our day of silence this year but it hasn't been quiet at all. Our Balinese hosts have invited family and guests for what sounds suspiciously like a party to us. There are sounds of children laughing, running, and playing. The adults are loud and cheerful. No one is the least bit worried about the bad spirits finding us here. The only ones here who've been quiet today are the guests.