PT Company and KITAS/ Work Permits --- How Difficult?

sonbuenas

Jun 28, 2017
Hello all,

Loving this community and learning a lot -- thanks!

I'm curious if anyone has any 1st, or 2nd hand experience with setting up a PT company through a local partner - and then getting the paperwork sorted to legally work at (run) the business.

It seems Indonesia only wants to grant work permits to foreign experts. Kind of a loose term.

So... how strict is that requirement? Are people actually having to prove themselves as experts somehow? Or can you get creative with the job title or something?

Also super interested in hearing from anyone who had success using a trusted local partner, and how you protected yourself.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

@admin: sorry for double post! I accidentally put the first one in the general forum :/

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
So... how strict is that requirement? Are people actually having to prove themselves as experts somehow? Or can you get creative with the job title or something?

If you had to open the company arrange visas and so forth, yourself then it would probably be difficult. However, there are many agencies that do all of this for you. I don't have experience doing this personally, but I know of many people doing this.

It doesn't seem difficult. You will soon lean almost anything it possible here if you have the dosh for it.

Also super interested in hearing from anyone who had success using a trusted local partner, and how you protected yourself.

You need a mix of legal methods and to use common sense. What can possibly go wrong here, usually does. You need to do whatever you can to protect yourself. It will also depend on what assets your business will have. Land//buildings/cars etc. IP is harder to protect as in many countries in this part of the world, but even if your IP gets stolen/copied locals may not have the knowledge/experience/capital to benefit from it.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Hello all,
Also super interested in hearing from anyone who had success using a trusted local partner, and how you protected yourself. :/

As in most parts of Asia, your legal agreements with your local partner in Indonesia tend to be only as strong as your personal relationship with him or her. The key then is to build a good personal relationship with your local partner and also to structure any business arrangements so that your respective economic interests are fully aligned (which granted is not always the easiest thing to do).