balinews

Feb 14, 2010
One person was killed as Indonesian police fired tear gas and water cannon to disperse tens of thousands of protesters who rallied to demand the resignation of the Christian governor of Jakarta for allegedly insulting the Quran.

At least seven people were injured in clashes between demonstrators and police, Jakarta police spokesman Awi Setiyono said on Friday.

An elderly man died, possibly from the effects of tear gas, said Setiyono, adding four civilians and three police officers were hurt.

Tens of thousands of protesters called for Jakarta's governor to be prosecuted for blasphemy in the massive demonstration. A sea of protesters wearing white robes took to the streets in a huge show of force against Governor Basuki Tjahaja Purnama.
Indonesian capital on high alert ahead of anti-governor rally

Indonesian police fired tear gas to disperse protesters near the presidential palace, local television reported.

Some protesters threw plastic bottles at officers who had formed a barricade.

The protest was triggered by accusations that Purnama, better known by his nickname Ahok, insulted Islam by criticising opponents who used Quranic references to attack him ahead of an election in February.

Indonesia: Thousands rally against blasphemy in Jakarta - News from Al Jazeera

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
This Ahok trial will detremine whole Indonesia .. and since lastime I checked Bali was part of "republic" ... .. What I want to say .. mayn many people running away from Hardline Islamist to Bali ... AGAIN !
Dark times are comming.

Luckly I more or less evacuated myself from there on time ... Java I mean ...Cancer is spreading thou .... :D

Zombie (FPI) apocyalipse .. soon near you !!??

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Expect few comments from sensible people living in Indonesia on this subject - kinda sad really, init?

I keep patiently waiting for the world "I am Spartacus!" moment refuting all of the crazy ideas that seem to be spreading in the world.

But not much bravery or common sense seems to be going around...

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
The article states that about half a million muslims support the campaign to have Mr Purnama jailed. That is out of a population of 250million, so about 0.2% or if you want to count only Muslims, about 0.24%. So you have to take that into account when analysing the situation. But the sheer ignorance and bloody-mindedness of the clerics is hard to fathom for us of a less fanatical mindset.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
For me this seems such a blatant manipulation of the masses for a political end that I can't believe they (the masses) can't see through their manipulation - see article on Indonesian education?!

Zimbo

Jun 22, 2016
Expect few comments from sensible people living in Indonesia on this subject - kinda sad really, init?

I keep patiently waiting for the world "I am Spartacus!" moment refuting all of the crazy ideas that seem to be spreading in the world.

But not much bravery or common sense seems to be going around...

common sense is not very common............