Protest near airport today

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I believe there is a protest planned near the airport today at 2pm.

If you have a flight or need to pick someone up, I suggest leaving much earlier than planned.

Copied from FB:

"MASSIVE DEMO AT AIRPORT ENTRANCE PLANNED FOR SUNDAY 20TH MARCH, 2 PM

The ire of local residents at the impending 'reclamation' of Benoa Harbour continues. According to latest reports, a forthcoming demonstration is planned for this coming Sunday, and will severely impact traffic to and from Bali's airport. If possible, avoid the area during this action

A statement just issued translates (the translation by Vyt Karazija) as:

"To our friends, especially travel agents, tourism operators, and anyone who intends to depart from or arrive at Ngurah Rai Airport on Sunday, March 20, 2016, please be aware of potential disruptions. Please ask those passengers who may be affected to come early to the airport so that they do not miss their flights, and let arriving people know that there may be long delays.

The Indigenous Villages of Benoa Bay reject the impending reclamation and will hold a large demonstration on Sunday, March 20, 2016, at noon.

Peaceful demonstrations will be centred around the main roads leading to the airport, with large numbers from local communities demonstrating near the toll booth of Bali Mandara, and at the main roundabout at the entrance to the airport.

It is expected that all traffic will come to a complete standstill before, during and after this action."

Last edited:

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
My friend drove past there and managed to take a few pics. Looked pretty crazy. The Riot polici were there all geared up plus the military were there too. He said driving drom Nusa Dua towards Kuta there was literally no traffic coming from he opposite direction.