Proposed Villa architect/design and builder

Maccer

May 24, 2011
Good day all,

We have finally acquired our land; we are now looking to move to the next stage: Designing and building the villa.

We have conducted a lengthy search and contacted numerous architects/builders; after plenty of due diligence, we seem to have narrowed it down to three:

Populaire By Cyrus Scott
Balitecture
Magnitude Bali

Has anybody worked with the above companies, and can you please provide any feedback you have, good or bad?

Or, if you know of any architects/builders that you would recommend, please provide the details.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
May I ask what size plot of land do you have and what size house are you looking to put on it? Because unless you're gonna do a new Mare Largo for the Donald the guys you've mentioned will prob cost you a fecking fortune.

You probably have been living in a house most of your life so you have a good idea what it should look like, right?

Sit down with a piece of paper or a 3d modelling program (Sketchup is great but there are others). Once you have taken some time to think about all the rooms you want and what the view from them should be take you paper or model to any decent local architect and ask him to work it up as a completed house. Once you have the drawings to your satisfaction then find a builder that will quote you for the project or whatever portion he feels able to do well and get started. I'm pretty sure the architect you have found will be more than happy to watch over the project and make sure it conforms to local regs and your wishes.

If it doesn't fire him.

Whatever you do do don't give anyone the full money - break your payments up into small chunks so the builder and architect don't get too greedy or rich all at once.

Above all take as much a part of the build as you can because it could be the most fun you'll ever have with your clothes on.

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
Yes, these are the foreigner focus builders that will pop up during a google search -- all with quite impressive online sites.

If you search the forum for "Populaire " you will find this builder posting a lot of useful information over the years. Long termer that seems to be well regarded on this forum for their work.

If you are Bali based I would have asked to have a look at villas built by each builder -- and talk to their owners, to judge what they are capable of and if the buildings are holding up. Look at details, material selection, finishing, windows, doors etc. A trend is to supply glass for windows and doors to site and then weld steel framing for the same windows and doors. Another one is to install frameless doors (only glass): Obviously cost effective but not something I would go for. Look for large gaps around windows and doors, particularly sliding doors: A no no as it will be noisy, smoke will enter, insects will enter, and poor thermal efficiency when AC is running.

If you are not Bali based and not able to do tight follow up you better have a huge slush fund at hand. Then hands off single sourcing is probably the way to go.

If I was Bali based I would probably have one architect/builder to develop all technical drawings, specifications and material lists, with plenty time available going through details to ensure all details & materials exactly how I want it and then fully reviewed by an independent (unless can do yourself).
This will also allow plenty time for price estimation in order to assess next step inviting 3 pre-qualified builders to bid on the construction part, fixed scope & fixed price. And then make sure no changes initiated by yourself thereafter!

Last edited:

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
Make VERY sure someone you completely trust is there to supervise.
Very easy for a builder to substitute smaller rebar, excess sand in cement, inferior bricks , low quality plumbing pipe etc and one its done, very hard to see the problems until cracking/collapse happens years later.
How do I know ...
Better to contract a builder for labour content only and you supply the material, he just installs it.
No problems with markup on materials and he quotes on a per sq metre basis for his and his tukangs labour.
The Villa builders you mentioned are all probably very good and some of there work is exceptional but the pricing may make you wince even in comparison to Western high end builds.
Tread very carefully and also very slowly. Your land is not going anywhere and do not rush things..

Cheers
Been there before
Ken

Tezza71

Oct 31, 2018
Make VERY sure someone you completely trust is there to supervise.
Very easy for a builder to substitute smaller rebar, excess sand in cement, inferior bricks , low quality plumbing pipe etc and one its done, very hard to see the problems until cracking/collapse happens years later.
How do I know ...
Better to contract a builder for labour content only and you supply the material, he just installs it.
No problems with markup on materials and he quotes on a per sq metre basis for his and his tukangs labour.
The Villa builders you mentioned are all probably very good and some of there work is exceptional but the pricing may make you wince even in comparison to Western high end builds.
Tread very carefully and also very slowly. Your land is not going anywhere and do not rush things..

Cheers
Been there before
Ken
Give this guy a call. He has designed and built a place for me in Gianyar on 200are. The guys name is Agung Alit and his company is B2Arch 82237343588. He has supervised the work done and I have seen the quality. Not as good as western standards but then this is Indonesia.

Maccer

May 24, 2011
May I ask what size plot of land do you have and what size house are you looking to put on it? Because unless you're gonna do a new Mare Largo for the Donald the guys you've mentioned will prob cost you a fecking fortune.

You probably have been living in a house most of your life so you have a good idea what it should look like, right?

Sit down with a piece of paper or a 3d modelling program (Sketchup is great but there are others). Once you have taken some time to think about all the rooms you want and what the view from them should be take you paper or model to any decent local architect and ask him to work it up as a completed house. Once you have the drawings to your satisfaction then find a builder that will quote you for the project or whatever portion he feels able to do well and get started. I'm pretty sure the architect you have found will be more than happy to watch over the project and make sure it conforms to local regs and your wishes.

If it doesn't fire him.

Whatever you do do don't give anyone the full money - break your payments up into small chunks so the builder and architect don't get too greedy or rich all at once.

Above all take as much a part of the build as you can because it could be the most fun you'll ever have with your clothes on.
Good day Markit,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
We have 3.5Are , looking at a villa size of around 280M2 set over 2 floors (ideally 4 bedrooms)
I have already draft a few ideas / layout down, along with a villa design. I will take a look at the Sketchup, thank you.

Ideally I was looking for builder who would undertake the full package (designing and building) I am out the country working at the moment, will not have much time to oversee the build.
I will take a look at the above options, I am not in rush.

Once again thank you Markit

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Good day Markit,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
We have 3.5Are , looking at a villa size of around 280M2 set over 2 floors (ideally 4 bedrooms)
I have already draft a few ideas / layout down, along with a villa design. I will take a look at the Sketchup, thank you.

Ideally I was looking for builder who would undertake the full package (designing and building) I am out the country working at the moment, will not have much time to oversee the build.
I will take a look at the above options, I am not in rush.

Once again thank you Markit
2 thoughts:
1) your land size is so small compared to the size of the house you want to put on it your build variations are strictly limited - view to back and front and nothing on the sides because your neighbors will also fill up their land (don't forget the (aspirational) regulated 1.5 meter gap on each side).
2) If you aren't here to oversee the build then be prepared to get soundly fleeced. Sorry thems the rules here. Paid for rebar that didn't end up in the columns? you'll only know when it falls down. ditto cement/sand mix. ditto breeze block construction. did they use a vibrator when pouring your foundations? etc. etc.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
If you aren't here to oversee the build then be prepared to get soundly fleeced. Sorry thems the rules here. Paid for rebar that didn't end up in the columns? you'll only know when it falls down. ditto cement/sand mix. ditto breeze block construction. did they use a vibrator when pouring your foundations? etc. etc.
Sadly, this is too often true. And even if you don't get fleeced, the final outcome may not meet your expectations (unless of course they are low).. Rule number one for a build in Indonesia (and probably anywhere for that matter), is to 'be there'..

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
I wouldn't build a house without supervising myself even in my home country (France) let alone in a "developping" country.
Being ripped off is guaranteed....

RossM

Jan 19, 2022
I wouldn't build a house without supervising myself even in my home country (France) let alone in a "developping" country.
Being ripped off is guaranteed....

Even supervising your build yourself in a western country, unless your building knowledge is of a high standard, you'll still be fleeced. The entire building industry is comprised of scammers of varying levels of scamming ability.

Reactions: Maccer

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Even supervising your build yourself in a western country, unless your building knowledge is of a high standard, you'll still be fleeced. The entire building industry is comprised of scammers of varying levels of scamming ability.
Being in the construction world I have some knowledge.
Builder in France when extending / renovating my place indeed tried a few tricks. Warned him twice then I called an official, certified expert to establish a report. A tri party meeting, with a hint at possible legal action solved the problem.
But it was a small town builder, with a big nation wide one it would have been more complicated.....

Reactions: Maccer and RossM