Proper electrical grounding

Scuba Chris

Feb 25, 2004
Hello,

I'm new to the forums... and somewhat to Bali. I rent a house here and have come upon an interesting problem.

While all of my wall sockets are designed for grounded plugs... none of them actually seem to be grounded. Upon examination of the wall sockets, it was revealed that there was a ground wire connected to the socket. So next I checked the main panel. And it also seemed to have a ground wire (but I could not follow it to the actual point of grounding as it disappears into the mortor of the wall).

Now I can understand why to the Balinese it isn't a big deal to ground things, as they probably don't use too much equipment that require grounding. But I'm wondering what I should do in this situation.

I've currently bought a quality voltage stabilizer (not for the main line, but that you'd plug into an outlet)... it has on it's back a grounding point, so I assume if I ground it, anything I plug into it will thus be grounded.

Now I figure I have 2 options, ground the entire house (and then maybe have get each socket checked for proper grounding, and thus maybe have to go through a bit a rigamaroll) or pound a galvanized rod into ground and directly from the stabilizer, ground to it. Personally, I'd prefer the second option. But as to finding a galvanized rod, or a reputable electrician I'm stumped. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Also, we've upped the power considerably (and legally) since moving into our place, and I would say that even at the beginning, at the lower power levels, the ground wire from the main box definitely seemed small.

If anyone's had to work through something like this, please help a frustrated computer user out.

There is no grounding anywhere in SE Asia, unless you do it yourself. We rewired an entire house in Bangkok for just that reason.

Yes, go with that second option. Pound a copper rod into the ground and run your own grounding wires to it. An automobile hose clamp works well as a connector. If you want to do it right, then slather grease all over the connection to the grounding rod.

Ken

Martin

Jan 10, 2004
Steenbergen NL
Grounded.....

A residual current protection relay shall protect you against any current iun excess of 30 mA i.e. the safe limit for humans. You need however some sort of grounding but it does not have to be high standard.

It should be available in Indonesia.

Success,

Martin

I think what Martin is talking about is what is called a "ground fault interrupt" (G.F.I.) outlet in the U.S. These are required in the U.S. for bathrooms and near kitchen sinks. These work like a circuit breaker disabling all current to that outlet upon detectiion of a ground fault. I don't know if these are available for 240 volt circuits in S E Asia. I doubt it.

Ken

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I dont know what you call all the systems but in our house all items have two wires and all plugs two sockets. I assume they are not grounded.

Any appliances that I brought from UK that have 3 wires and can not be put on a two pin plug, we just use with a UK adaptor.

I dont know how strong the curent is in Lombok cause I have had many "stroms" with little effect. I do refuse to plug anything into one paticular socket though :lol:

Mimpi.

You assume correctly, you have no ground. The ground wire is that third wire. Prepare for exploding appliances in your next electrical storm. Don't stand in puddles when you're using your hair dryer. After a few jolts across the room (240 volts pack a whallop), you'll ground your system as well.

Ken

G

i had one that melted and threw sparks. black flakey smoke spread but luckily we turned off the electricity before it filled the room.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Thanks Ken! I appreciate the information! I've been zapped a ton of times, cursing everything in sight! It's actually pretty simple to make the ground, (as you describe), so I only wonder why it is not used here more often? I know nothing about wiring, groud wires, positive or negative, alternating current and all that. All I know is that when my hair stands straight up, it ain't good for me. :D