Primary schools in Sanur area

McAdoo

Aug 31, 2018
Hi folks. We are looking for a primary school with English medium of instruction in the Sanur area for our 6 year old daughter and I'll throw this out here. We've heard of Dyatmika, Sanur Independent School, Regents and Gandhi Memorial. Do any readers have comments on any of them ?

Manon's reviews look interesting and we are trying to set up something similar for Sanur.

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
You also have Bali Island School (BIS), Sanur. All good so far but I just noticed they will now focus on developing JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion) policies for what is already a multi ethnic and multi religious school located in Bali, Indonesia! These SJW teachers flying in from the western hemisphere cannot help themselves.

Reactions: YachtRock

Chris A

Jun 16, 2021
You also have Bali Island School (BIS), Sanur. All good so far but I just noticed they will now focus on developing JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion) policies for what is already a multi ethnic and multi religious school located in Bali, Indonesia! These SJW teachers flying in from the western hemisphere cannot help themselves.
I wonder if the parents at BIS were asked if they were happy about paying to have their children indoctrinated or was it just assumed that adopting JEDI concepts/ principles was for the good of the children and to just STFU if you don't like it?

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
I wonder if the parents at BIS were asked if they were happy about paying to have their children indoctrinated or was it just assumed that adopting JEDI concepts/ principles was for the good of the children and to just STFU if you don't like it?
I have asked BIS to clarify who is the source for this JEDI policy idea and an explanation why the long standing existing policies are no longer fit for purpose. No response yet.

As you mention parents have power via the checkbook. However, more important it appears that BIS forgot this is Indonesia and all this diversity talk is a no-go area for many. Just yesterday a visit of an LGBTQ++ envoy from US was cancelled due to protests from ulemas.

I'm just worried if this focus on JEDI comes out in the open there will be further restrictions on the international schools. The JIS Jakarta incident from 2014 with arrest of two teachers caused a lot of problems for all international schools. The JIS incident is one of the reason they are no longer allowed to use "international" in their name.

We had an incident with British School in Jakarta in 2020. My daughter coming home one day with fairly inappropriate BLM, SJW teaching materials including a copy of my daughters SJW teacher tweets directed at then US president Trump -- basically aligning him with KKK. Then going on about white people born as racists, white privilege and other claptrap. I emailed principal that this is not what I'm paying. Eventually the teacher was reprimanded. If an Indonesian parent protested in the social media the teacher would be deported.

Chris A

Jun 16, 2021
I have asked BIS to clarify who is the source for this JEDI policy idea and an explanation why the long standing existing policies are no longer fit for purpose. No response yet.

As you mention parents have power via the checkbook. However, more important it appears that BIS forgot this is Indonesia and all this diversity talk is a no-go area for many. Just yesterday a visit of an LGBTQ++ envoy from US was cancelled due to protests from ulemas.

I'm just worried if this focus on JEDI comes out in the open there will be further restrictions on the international schools. The JIS Jakarta incident from 2014 with arrest of two teachers caused a lot of problems for all international schools. The JIS incident is one of the reason they are no longer allowed to use "international" in their name.

We had an incident with British School in Jakarta in 2020. My daughter coming home one day with fairly inappropriate BLM, SJW teaching materials including a copy of my daughters SJW teacher tweets directed at then US president Trump -- basically aligning him with KKK. Then going on about white people born as racists, white privilege and other claptrap. I emailed principal that this is not what I'm paying. Eventually the teacher was reprimanded. If an Indonesian parent protested in the social media the teacher would be deported.
"I have asked BIS to clarify who is the source for this JEDI policy idea and an explanation why the long standing existing policies are no longer fit for purpose. No response yet." A new Head of Bali Island School started in June from what read in Indonesia Expat. The timing is a bit suspicious? https://indonesiaexpat.id/business-...hool-offers-continuity-with-the-ib-continuum/

Your calling BS on your daughter's experience at the British School in Jakarta is admirable. More parents should be engaged.

I'll be interested to hear what the outcome is from your request to clarify who is the source for this change of direction.

Thank you for being engaged in this. Silence is acceptance.

Reactions: AuroraB

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
"A new Head of Bali Island School started in June from what read in Indonesia Expat. The timing is a bit suspicious? https://indonesiaexpat.id/business-...hool-offers-continuity-with-the-ib-continuum/
That could be the explanation. A rookie mistake. If the ministry of education look through BIS policies and google "JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion)", then swiftly "LGBTQ++" also shows up -- I do not know what is the fallback plan then as the conservatives and nationalists will go nuts.

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
"I have asked BIS to clarify who is the source for this JEDI policy idea and an explanation why the long standing existing policies are no longer fit for purpose. No response yet." A new Head of Bali Island School started in June from what read in Indonesia Expat. The timing is a bit suspicious? https://indonesiaexpat.id/business-...hool-offers-continuity-with-the-ib-continuum/

Your calling BS on your daughter's experience at the British School in Jakarta is admirable. More parents should be engaged.

I'll be interested to hear what the outcome is from your request to clarify who is the source for this change of direction.

Thank you for being engaged in this. Silence is acceptance.
The Principal came back to me,

1. He confirmed the proposed JEDI policy is his own initiative after "discovering that most other schools are already having such a policy in place". Motivation was also described as "We must move with the times and be seen to look after the interests of everyone".

2. Seems to appreciate that the proposed JEDI policy needs to "respect the laws of the land and boundaries in Indonesia".

So it might just end up with a suitable word salad posted online which I'm fine with.

He did not address what will be the (if any) impact on the teaching material. Something I will probably have to keep an eye on.

Chris A

Jun 16, 2021
The Principal came back to me,

1. He confirmed the proposed JEDI policy is his own initiative after "discovering that most other schools are already having such a policy in place". Motivation was also described as "We must move with the times and be seen to look after the interests of everyone".

2. Seems to appreciate that the proposed JEDI policy needs to "respect the laws of the land and boundaries in Indonesia".

So it might just end up with a suitable word salad posted online which I'm fine with.

He did not address what will be the (if any) impact on the teaching material. Something I will probably have to keep an eye on.
Interesting...

"We're taking JEDI on because everyone else is" is a sheep like behavior in my opinion. Maybe as the program(s) is/are developed; for the sake of transparency, the Principal might consider polling the parents to vet the material / concepts. Your comment "He did not address what will be the (if any) impact on the teaching material. Something I will probably have to keep an eye on." is spot on, but I think that the more eyes that are on this, the better.

Good luck.

Reactions: AuroraB