luckysta

May 7, 2015
Hi anybody dealt with prefabricated structures here? I am searching for prices and options (materials).

Thanks !

G

Gurkha

Hi anybody dealt with prefabricated structures here? I am searching for prices and options (materials).

Thanks !

Can you give more details?
Size
Purpose
Material

There is a company in Surabaya (whose name escapes me at the moment) that manufactures modular buildings out of sandwich panels. I'll find their contact details if you are interested.

luckysta

May 7, 2015
Commercial
200 sq/m
Materials: to be decided

Bali Prefab does only wooden houses and too expensive (8,5 mil sq /m)

Thanks

Last edited:
G

Gurkha

Commercial
200 sq/m
Materials: to be decided

Bali Prefab does only wooden houses and too expensive (8,5 mil sq /m)

Bear in mind that any building that uses materials other than concrete, bricks and mortar

Thanks

Bear in mind that any building that uses materials other than concrete, bricks and mortar does not, to the best of my knowledge, require a building permit - and this includes wood and metal (as in converted shipping containers) Shipping containers worked out at Rp. 2,250,000 per sq. metre (in 2009)

luckysta

May 7, 2015
Bear in mind that any building that uses materials other than concrete, bricks and mortar does not, to the best of my knowledge, require a building permit - and this includes wood and metal (as in converted shipping containers) Shipping containers worked out at Rp. 2,250,000 per sq. metre (in 2009)

Thanks for the info

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Are you sure about the price of Rp 2,250,000 per sq metre,,,a 20' container is approx. 30 sq metre,and at that price it would cost $4,820 with Rp being 14,000,,i can buy a 40' container here in Ny for $1,200,but maybe the prices in RI are more expensive,

G

Gurkha

The price I mentioned was with doors, windows, A/C, lighting, plumbing, Small kitchen, 2 toilets and 1 shower. That's why it is substantially more than your NY container.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Ok that makes sence,with some creative thought they make great buildings,i have googled it a couple of times and there are some really good ones out there in various different countrys,Thanks for the reply

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The price I mentioned was with doors, windows, A/C, lighting, plumbing, Small kitchen, 2 toilets and 1 shower. That's why it is substantially more than your NY container.

Ok that makes sence,with some creative thought they make great buildings,i have googled it a couple of times and there are some really good ones out there in various different countrys,Thanks for the reply

Guys we are talking steel shipping containers here not luxury apartments. Why would you want to live in a steel container? Just to prove you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?

They are fecking ugly!

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Yeah sure they are if you leave them looking like a container,but anything I saw and we have a couple here in Ny all had a like a finish on the outside ,like stucco or whatever,and it completely changes the appearance,im not suggesting to live in one ,buy there was one online I think in Thailand which was being used as a small diner/restaurant,for purposes like that they are ideal,also of course construction site offices,

G

Gurkha

Ugly they may be, but they have a low carbon footprint and are earthquake proof. Also very energy efficient!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
How could a steel box have a low carbon footprint? It's fecking steel!

It is probably earthquake proof but so is a rock but I wouldn't want to live in one.

If you're so worried about earthquakes then the UK is the place for you Gerkin not the ring of fire on the equator.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Seriously guys google it and you will see some interesting designs that have already been done in different parts of the world,there`s also a pic showing containers used for living in Jakarta,not one of the best in the collection of pics,

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
Containers are a great way to save money as a do it yourself home. I bought one myself 6 months ago and have started the process of fitting it out but that's back in Australia.
To make one, or two, containers into a home in Bali would be quite a chore and relatively expensive. Climate is key and Bali is just not a good fit for containers unless you want to, heavily insulate, rust and mould proof them and so on. There are cheaper, more suitable construction methods that can be used, bamboo, rammed-earth, earth-bags for example or a combination.
In Australia, where mine is, the climate is more suitable for using containers though because the steel sweats measures have to be taken to prevent mould such as venting and creating air flow. Insulation is needed and fortunately I have access to a lot of wool. Further shading from direct sun on the metal container will be provided by a solar panel array on the roof.
Personally, I'd go with a bamboo and or rammed earth construction here in Bali.

p.s. If you do get a container make sure that it not one of the older models that commonly used lead based paint.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Also if anyone is thinking of converting a container for whatever use,It`s a good idea to purchase what they call a high cube container,the floor to ceiling height in these are 9' 6",(2.89 meters),this way you will have space to run electric and even duct work if you want to have central air conditioning ,,and still have a good ceiling height left so it wont feel like the ceiling is almost touching your head,

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
I heard a price of Rp15-18 million for a standard 20ft container in Makassar (presumably a bit cheaper in Surabaya or Jakarta)
Wouldn't cost too much to transport to Bali (Surabaya to Makassar was about 1-2 million last year) ... especially if you got creative and shipped it full of something that could be sold in Bali (I'm thinking furniture/textiles etc)