Bali Villa Sales

Villas of Bali ™ is the trusted real estate company that offers the most beautiful villas for sale on Bali. Visit our experienced and helpful staff in our office in Seminyak, or search the extensive villa listing online at www.balivillasales.com, providing the most exclusive properties for sale. Villas of Bali ™ stands for quality, integrity and trust. We help you save time and money, while providing you peace of mind of your property related needs. Send us an email to info@villasofbali.com, or call us at +62 878 6249 3526.

1. Welcome Guest to the new look Balipod. If you are an existing member, just sign up with your usual username/password. Any problems you can post them here
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Airbnb crackdown in Ubud

Discussion in 'Owning Property in Bali' started by spicyayam, Aug 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. spicyayam

spicyayam Well-Known Member

I saw this posted in the Ubud Community group on FB:

2. tel522

tel522 Active Member

Ah no pondok wisata licence I can imagine , naughty ! I forecast sales of champagne and caviar will reduce on the island .

3. davita

davita Well-Known Member

I've been warning potential/current foreign villa purchasers/owners who believe renting their vacant villas, without proper Pondok Wisata/NPWP/Banjar acceptance is dangerous, if advertising on the internet..

AirBnB, and other internet sites are easy for Indonesian Authority to search and verify if legal or not. This gives another opportunity for them to bring legal action...which is what the Association of Hoteliers are pressing for.

4. Mark

Mark Active Member

I suspect the real reason immigration are interested is the illegal working aspect of running a rental business without a work permit. There are no doubt loads of expats, even those with the villa license and tax matters in order who are operating such a rental business on a sosbud or even a retirement kitas... Not a good idea. Those on a spouse kitas or kitap can rest easy if the villa documentation is in order. Those who have no correct documentation at all should be prepared for a very unpleasant experience if they are nicked.

5. davita

davita Well-Known Member

According to published information it's the Hotelier Association that are pushing for those illegal villa rentals to be investigated. I'm not so sure it's about expat or, say, Jakarta owners renting ..it hurts the bottom line of hotels and legal rentals. This is particularly so when there is so much room vacancy in Bali and, as also published, the Governor may apply a rule to limit room prices to avoid a 'drive to the bottom' of the market for accommodation....and the consequence of that.
    As always ...it's probably easier to blame the foreigner and target that market first...that's why I suggest not becoming vulnerable by using AirBnB, or other internet advertising.
    I'd advise guests to just say they are friends of the owner holidaying in the property in the hosts absence.

6. Mark

Mark Active Member

I'm happy if the whole thing can be cleaned up by the authorities, however long it takes and with whatever disruption occurs. While the allegations of police 'solutions' are not encouraging, the reality is that there are many foreigners working illegally in Bali doing this and that, and not paying tax on the resulting income. This needs to be sorted out and the behavior strongly dis-incentivized. Bali does not need fly by night expats subverting the law and grifting off the local economy. 'Doing as the Romans do' is no justification.

Also, I disagree with your advice davita for the guests of Airbnb rentals and the like to lie about their arrangements. This makes them complicit in the fraud (at no upside to themselves) and therefore liable to action by the authorities, which is not a great way to spend a holiday.

7. davita

davita Well-Known Member

Maybe you're right Mark...
    I just didn't want some member of this forum posting expletives about my pedantic approach to law and order...but he seems to be 'missing from parade' these days....so maybe I should have been more relaxed and posted what I really think...which is similar to your attitude.
    Every expat caught doing illegal acts actually causes the rest of us more consternation.

8. Mark

Mark Active Member

Ah, the expat anarchists - of which there are quite a few in Bali - hate following 'inconvenient' rules and like to pretend they are in a lawless paradise where virtually anything goes as long as you don't hurt someone or get caught. It's pretty selfish behavior and doesn't help to improve society... While I believe in live and let live, as guests in the country we should make a good faith effort to comply with its laws - it's actually not that hard.

9. Melati

Melati Member

Well said, totally agree Mark