rovingcanuck

Dec 7, 2015
Jakarta / Sanur
Hello all,

The family and I are moving to Sanur in January and have rented a villa for 2 years :) . We have plans for after that point, so 2 years seemed appropriate for our needs. I have been living in Jakarta for the past 5 years, so I am familiar with the 'ways of life' in Indonesia, but new to the Bali scene. Luckily, my wife and I both have friends on the island that we trust, so we are not totally adrift. But even with their help, we have run into a bit of dead end. (Sorry for the backstory, but it's my first post and I felt that a little history would be helpful.)

The problem is this - where do we find suppliers for pool fences? I do not need a 2 year rental, as the cost is incredibly prohibitive. Rather, I would like to purchase a temporary fence. As you can guess, most of the rental places that I have contacted not been much help, as the WANT me to rent their fences. I understand that I can approach the owner for this, but I would rather own the fence so that I can liquidate it myself when I go.

Has anyone in the forum put up a pool fence and can refer a good place to go, or know of any leads? The internet has been a bit lacking in information, as I can only find rental places.

Colin (and Indri and Nikita)

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
My suggestion would be to buy the fence material yourself and then have someone install it. I think it would be an easy couple of days work for any tukang to install it. Also it should be easy to sell again when you leave.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
I don't think you have actual shops that sell ready pool fences. If I were you I'd copy a picture from Gallery | Bali Pool Fence Hire and go and see a carpenter to copy that fence.

Edit: seems as if Spicyayam beat me to the answer ;-)

Last edited:
P

paulseawind

RovingCanuck - don't forget safety. Explore for specifications for pool fences and make sure whatever you build fits with those. I just sold a house with a pool and the pool fencing was focused on by an engineer and also by my lawyer (she was protecting me). I had to comply. It's a 'must'. The authorities don't make pool fence specs for no reason.

I think at least 1.2mtr high. Only uprights, i.e., no cross pieces that little feet can climb onto. No gaps wider than 10cm. If part of a boundary fence then that boundary fence needs to be 1.8mtr high. The list goes on.

Oh yeah - the gate should be self-closing and opening to the outside of the pool area and the locking latch 1.4mtr from the ground. I had to close off one gap and also add a strong spring that made sure the gate closed all by itself again.

It would be a shame if you put up a fence and your littley or someone else's gets in and can't swim . . . .

And, spend lots of time teaching your child to swim. Great exercise, quality time, and focuses on safety.

And if you have a dog, teach it to swim. I have had to sprint and dive in twice to rescue my male dog because he was silly enough to fall in. First time I stayed in the water with my arm firmly around him and I said soothingly 'You're OK - I've got you'. He relaxed and didn't leave my side for about 2 days. The female dog won't go near the water no matter what bribe you might be offering.

Safety, mate. That's what it is all about. The enjoyment, pleasure and fun comes second.

rovingcanuck

Dec 7, 2015
Jakarta / Sanur
All very valid, points, paulseawind. I have a 14 month old daughter and, although we take her 'swimming' every week, she doesn't actually swim yet ... lol. The joy of a pool doesn't mean much if it only reminds you of a terrible event.

rovingcanuck

Dec 7, 2015
Jakarta / Sanur
balibule, I think this will be the option. I have been given advice to stay away from metal fences as they are way too hot in the sun, so I think it won't be that complicated to have someone construct the panels/fence and have it thrown up.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
If you roam about in the provinces of Bali you will come across lots of "builds merchants" many of them sell sections of bamboo fencing for a pittance (80k for 2 x1 meters) add some posts and you have your fence and no need to worry about selling it afterwards.

On a separate note did you ever consider how the Balinese kids manage to survive to breeding age surrounded by pools, rivers and oceans with nary a one being able to swim?

rovingcanuck

Dec 7, 2015
Jakarta / Sanur
If you roam about in the provinces of Bali you will come across lots of "builds merchants" many of them sell sections of bamboo fencing for a pittance (80k for 2 x1 meters) add some posts and you have your fence and no need to worry about selling it afterwards.

On a separate note did you ever consider how the Balinese kids manage to survive to breeding age surrounded by pools, rivers and oceans with nary a one being able to swim?

Markit, I will have a look for the builds merchants' when I am through next time. It would be an easier option than to build one from scratch, and probably cheaper then having one built from scratch, but I will crunch some numbers and compare.

As for the kids, those must be the same 'superkids' I see standing on the gas tanks of their parents motorbikes as they go by at 40 km/h :icon_e_biggrin: