balinews

Feb 14, 2010
INDONESIAN counter-terrorism forces have shot dead five suspected militants believed to have been planning a series of attacks in Bali.

Heavily armed officers from Indonesia's crack anti-terror unit Detachment 88 stormed two separate addresses, in Denpasar and in Sanur, on Sunday night where they shot and killed five men.

Witnesses have told AAP that gunshots could be heard for several minutes as officers raided the Lhaksmi Hotel on Jalan Danau Poso in the Sanur area about 9pm local time (midnight AEDT).

"I heard more than 10 shots. We are not allowed to enter our homes," one witness, who only wanted to be identified as Egi, told AAP.

Three suspected terrorists were shot and killed at the address in Sanur, an area popular with foreign tourists.

Witnesses reported seeing police removing bodies from a bungalow at the hotel, which remained surrounded by heavily armed officers late on Sunday night.

Another two suspected terrorists were shot and killed during a raid at an address on Jalan Gunung Soputan in Denpasar.

Police confirmed the raids were linked, adding that those killed had either resisted arrest or tried to escape.

"On Danau Poso three people were killed from police fire and on Gunung Soputan two were shot dead," Bali Police spokesman Hariadi said.

"They are linked to terrorism."

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Well....:icon_e_confused:....well done; just the words "suspected militants believed to have planning a series of attacks" and "shot & killed" disturbs me

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
Well....:icon_e_confused:....well done; just the words "suspected militants believed to have planning a series of attacks" and "shot & killed" disturbs me

Couldnt agree more, arresting them, interogating and finding out more information, trial, judgement and sentence is far better than this but I guess the next problem is, money talks.

Once a bit of money gets flung around the whole process is underminded and they are back out planning further attacks in little time.

calitobali

Jul 10, 2008
I disagree. Do you think they would really give up more information about future terrorist attacks? These are people willing to die for their (ridiculous) cause and they deserve to be shot on sight. I'd also like to see some proof of when convicted terrorists have been able to pay their way out of jail and continue planning their attacks. I have yet to see anything like that.

The second raid in Denpasar happened 250 meters from where I live by the way.

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
Well at the moment with the info provided all we can do is speculate . . Obviously they had been tipped off from someone involved. . I read they arrived in bali in Feb and had been under survalince since. One of the dead was wanted already for a raid in which a poilce officer was killed. . All i can say is that if they are guilty then im glad their not still around to hurt innocent people . .

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
they (the suspects) have been watched/followed by the authorities for over a few months...
I doubt they could have given up anymore info (if they had any), then they already did by their movements...

terorist is doubtful though...suspects of bankrobbery (medan) more likely...
but it's good to strengthen the 'faith' foreigners/tourists have in that a terorist attack has been foiled, and the 'police' doesn't play around when it comes to making/keeping Bali safe..

soontobeexpat

Dec 30, 2010
Perth, Australia
Yes but I feel olne person cannot be judge, jury and executioner to ensure the publics perception of the police force is strong..

Take them to justice the right way..

Calitobali, Im sure it would have been a very scary night for you then.. not something I would like to be in thevicinty of thats for sure

calitobali

Jul 10, 2008
strangely enough I didn't even know until this morning. Didn't hear the gunshots and I was in for the night so I didn't hear any of the commotion. It was 250 meters as the crow flies but a bit longer taking the actual streets.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
In the states something like this happens every day...I guess at least. In other countries like Venezuela & Mexico it's standard procedure. Nobody cares.
So too be honest IF (let's say the accusations are indeed right) I rather see them dead than walking...
Harsh words but some of THESE brainwashed ignorant people will never understand. I don't get it. Everybody lives (his life) I say, and they keep attacking these SOFT TARGETS that cowards.

Minority Report

Call me hopelessly old fashioned, but I would still put more faith in a government that put in practice the fundamental principle underlying the rule of law, being "innocent until proven guilty" than in one which apparently practices some of the same principles as terrorists themselves, eg, extra-judicial killing.

Tell me, did anyone here watch the movie "Minority Report"? Did anyone here agree with the legal principle that the movie examined: preventative arrest for "pre-crime"? Think about it a minute... you are arrested and sentenced for a crime you hadn't yet committed, but which the authorities thought you were going to commit. Hmmm? No, I didn't think so.

Now, could anyone tell me what is the difference between this event and the draconian scenario in that movie?

And, why do people on this forum agree with it in this instance?

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
The title of this article is a little misleading, I know the word terrorist has many meanings but Bank Robbers would have been more accurate. When you hear terrorist and Bali in the same sentence you picture religious nuts with bombs attached to themselves blowing themselves up. These guys we're out to make money and I doubt Allah had anything to do with it.

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Media says: at least 1 from a known terrorist cell, another known to have been involved with the killing of a policeman and the purpose of the robberies was to finance terrorism.

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
No, I'd be a fool if I believed all I read.
Just adding what the media says.
It will all come out in the end......maybe?

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
These days i dont think anyone is stupid enough to believe all they read. . All we have to go on is what they tell us though . One thing I like to Speculate about is they said all 5 men who where shot where resisting or Trying to escape . There is no witness apart from the poilce and they didnt take any men alive . What i mean is how do we evan know they where trying to resist or escape ?? None wanted to give themselves apprantly. . For all we know they where just all gunned down trying to give up. . Im not saying they where of coarse but all we can go on is the media reports.
But yea my point is who really knows what happened because they poilce can say what ever they want to a certain extent. Some of its probably true. Some of its probably not.But like i said before if these people really where planning to cause terror on bali then its a good thing they are gone.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Media says: at least 1 from a known terrorist cell, another known to have been involved with the killing of a policeman and the purpose of the robberies was to finance terrorism.
They had to be members of a terrorist cell. How else could the police justify cold-blooded assassinations without culpability? :icon_rolleyes:

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Obviously, there was an informer: that's why police work is usually successful. So, the police knew, more or less, what was going on, and what was their purpose in Bali. However, it would have been better for at least one of two of these guys to be capture alive, as there is no such a thing as too much information in this kind of business.

Once a bit of money gets flung around the whole process is underminded and they are back out planning further attacks in little time.

On this point, I would disagree with you, "soontobeexpat." Until now, each and every terrorist captured alive and trialed has never bought his way out of the sentencing. All of them have been sentenced to death or to long prison sentences and are under "special treatment:" this is not exactly a case of driving without a proper license or not wearing a helmet.:icon_rolleyes: