Police investigate Twitter post insulting Bali

balinews

Feb 14, 2010
The Bali Police are investigating Lisa Marlina, who was reported by Balinese resident and prominent designer Niluh Djelantik for allegedly insulting Bali through Twitter.

Investigators questioned Lisa following the report, the head of Bali Police's cyber crime unit Sr. Cmr Gusti Ayu Putu Sunaci said.

Lisa allegedly made a derogatory remark against the popular tourist destination on her Twitter account @lisaboedi on July 20. In her now-deleted tweet, Lisa allegedly stated that there were no sexual harassment cases in Bali, claiming residents there were relaxed toward it.

"There is no sexual harassment in Bali because the Balinese enjoy such action. It's so easy to release their sexual desire as well because prostitutes are widely available there," Lisa tweeted, which garnered protests and prompted the report filed by Niluh.

Gusti Ayu said during questioning, Lisa claimed that she had no intention to insult Bali.

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
How do you insult a country? The same way you insult a planet? This Niluh Djelantic must be some kind of special snowflake to not only be offended, but also be offended on behalf of an entire island. And the Bali police now consider opinions as a crime? We all better be careful then.

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
How do you insult a country? The same way you insult a planet? This Niluh Djelantic must be some kind of special snowflake to not only be offended, but also be offended on behalf of an entire island. And the Bali police now consider opinions as a crime? We all better be careful then.
Well when that opinion is potentially 100% false and damaging to the multi-billion dollar tourism industry in Bali, then you bet your ass they'll start cracking down on it.

Reactions: Markit

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
How can an opinion be false? No really, explain that to me. And do you seriously believe a potential tourist would read that opinion and say "well, I am not going to Bali because one person thinks there is no such thing as sexual harrassment there and there are lots of prostitutes".. ?

Reactions: tel522 and Balifrog

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
How can an opinion be false? No really, explain that to me. And do you seriously believe a potential tourist would read that opinion and say "well, I am not going to Bali because one person thinks there is no such thing as sexual harassment there and there are lots of prostitutes".. ?

Well, one could make the argument that this opinion bordered the line of an accusation. Saying the Balinese people turn a blind eye towards sexual harassment is a pretty strong accusation in my opinion and one that I could definitely see having an effect on many female travelers.

I mean, I personally know several people who have declined a visit to Bali based off things they have read on the internet such as taxi scams, Agung eruption, etc. so it wouldn't surprise me if that single Tweet had an effect. Of course, it was a small effect but imagine if it went viral and suddenly, Bali is plastered all over the international media as a place that doesn't care about sexual harassment.

I think that's something the local government would rather avoid.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Probably setting an example.
Anyway, I can't understand the need for twatting silly things like that.
On the other hand, if a US president does it, it must be ok.
More seriously, in certain countries one should be very carefull with "declarations" on social media....

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
I mean, I personally know several people who have declined a visit to Bali based off things they have read on the internet such as taxi scams

I know personally people whom have been overcharged by the taksi group at the airport ,,hardly a good advertisement for the island ,never mind all the violent shenanigans against go car and grab etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: JackStraw

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
I mean, I personally know several people who have declined a visit to Bali based off things they have read on the internet such as taxi scams

I know personally people whom have been overcharged by the taksi group at the airport ,,hardly a good advertisement for the island ,never mind all the violent shenanigans against go car and grab etc.
Yeah if they are gonna go after this girl on Twitter they should certainly show the same consistent behavior towards the Taxi mafia. That's one of the first encounters people have coming into Bali and it's a negative experience for sure. Guess they don't know the rule about first impressions...

Reactions: tel522

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
You guys are always going on about the "taxi mafia" what is that all about? I've lived here for 10 years and have yet to take my first taxi. Are taxis the epitome of civilization? Clearly listening to you lot I must be missing something really important?!

Get a fucking life, jeez.

You clearly lead really sheltered lives - been on a London/New York/Madrid taxi? Big surprise, you get shafted! Always. Why is this a big surprise? You all need to get around a little more.

Reactions: JackStraw and SamD

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
You guys are always going on about the "taxi mafia" what is that all about? I've lived here for 10 years and have yet to take my first taxi. Are taxis the epitome of civilization? Clearly listening to you lot I must be missing something really important?!

You clearly lead really sheltered lives - been on a London/New York/Madrid taxi? Big surprise, you get shafted! Always. Why is this a big surprise? You all need to get around a little more.

Hey mr markit are there taxis in candidassa these days :p , I remember not that long ago there was little or no internet ,1 cash machine which was normally broke , I appreciate you may not be used to such modern luxuries in your village :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Reactions: dav733

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017

I am a newbie, beeing here only 2 years... I travel only by taxi.

No problems till now as long as you are a minimum street smart.
Of course the airport boys ARE a real pain.
No way I am going to learn to drive a bike in Bali at 66 !

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
There are taxis here in the East, just not your Bluebird or Gojeks - mostly private drivers that rely on repeat business and are therefore pretty civilized.

66 or 76 learn to drive a motor scooter it's great! What have you got to lose? If you get away from the main roads it's a wonderful way to experience the country and meet the locals, smell whats for dinner, enjoy the sun on your skin and simply enjoy the feel of the wind in your hair (presuming you have any :)

Reactions: dav733 and Mark