Pet Hates

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Just reading through a few posts when I realised some of the things that could br classed under "My Pet Hates"

1. Someone saying or writing "Indo" for Indonesia or Indonesian. Its lazy and also wrong as Indo can be many other places.

2. Bahasa when the mean the Indonesian Language as in: I am talking Bahasa.

I have many more but I am just using these as an example. What are yours?

smusdar

Dec 19, 2005
jakarta
www.click4trip.net
halo Pak JImbo,

quite interesting, I guess --only my humble guess-- you are very meticulous person, take attention to the details..

Anyway, is there any "indo" excluded Indonesia? (well, i think i am one of them who are too "lazy" to type indonesia (huh, the effect of text messaging service in mobile)

Bahasa : Most of expat --at least ex my clients, my expatriate managers/ director use that terminology despite of bahasa indonesia??

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
I think this is more a generation based issue than anything. For certain the younger folks tend to abbreviate a lot of words, sometimes to the extent that I have no clue what they mean.

As Smusdar points out, this is almost a necessity with SMS text messaging, and if one did not use the proper lingo in chat rooms, they would never have enough time to get a word in edgewise.

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Writing in abbreviation - I don't think it's simply to do with the younger generation. My Uncle is in his 60s but as he is a very, very, very busy man jetting here & there all over the world, he is worse than most people I know! His e-mails are always full of abbreviations! :shock: Maybe the fact that he works in the airline industry has something to do with it?

My pet hate? Mmmmm, people who have pet hates! :lol: :lol: (Ow, ow, don't hit me Pak Jimbo!!) :lol: :lol:

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
I have exactly the same peeves Jimbo. The Indo gets to me because I've heard it used in a somewhat derogatory manner for kids of mixed marriages. The Bahasa term because it is just incorrect. However, my kids call their Indonesian language class Bahasa all the time and when I complain their answer is, Daddy everybody says it.

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
I first heard the 'Indo' term used by Australian surfers - seems to part of their 'language/culture' (amazing I could even understand what they were saying really. I mean, have you ever heard one of them speak? Did YOU understand a word?)

So maybe we have them to blame, it goes back at least 20 years, and they were often not that young..

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Freo....no insult intended, but for Aussies, (especially the surfers), I think it’s more an issue of how many syllables can they handle. :p

Just kidding!

Anyway, re-reading this string, I’m now more inclined to agree with Irma:

My pet hate? Mmmmm, people who have pet hates!

Then again Jimbo, after viewing those pictures of where you are currently working, in my book, you can say or write anything you want! :shock:

Keep on thinking Jimbo....only one more year to go!

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
We can see in this forum "Bahasa Forum"...

Bloody hell Dyah! Good pick up!

You are totally correct! That needs to be corrected ASAP!

OR...if not corrected, it means we can write there in any language we chose!
:shock:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Thanks Mats, but if there are any "forum gods" they really heard Dyah first. All I did was amplify what she wrote...so those sometime deaf forum gods could really hear! :p

Good job Dyah, and totally "spot on" with your point. Without question, Jimbo will sleep much better tonight, and as the criminal, Martha Stewart would say...."that's a good thing."

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Re: RE: Pet Hates

Don't thank me, it was the other forum god (the one who's not deaf). :lol:

I agree though, Dyah raised a very valid point.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Ah yes, one of the very short books, with less printed pages than the end leaves, yet bound in rich Moroccan leather and titled, “Dutch Gods I Have Known.” :p

Is that what you meant?

On the other hand, I do also have most all the volumes of "Dutch Painters of the Guilded Age" so I guess that makes up for lots of tweeking. :?

Mats, you made the post, so who else to thank?

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Every body has a pet hate even those who say my pet hate is those who have pet hates :)

Its not so many years ago that indo was the first part of indo china. A whole different ball game to Indonesia and an area that encompassed many parts of SE Asia.

Bahasa as (I) pointed out just means language and as such the phrase I am learning Bahasa is silly and meaningless. Still pointing out that we have a language forum is funny :)

Roy

The place here is utterly desolate. The funny thing is that I can watch so many American TV programs.

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
When I said "my pet hates - people with pet hates", well..... I was only joking you know Pak Jimbo? Honest! I put those "laughing" emoticons next to my statement. Here they are again :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, ok.... I do have a few pet hates: bad spelling, rudeness & name calling.

bolli

Nov 28, 2005
Australia
Re: RE: Pet Hates

irma1812 said:
When I said "my pet hates - people with pet hates", well..... I was only joking you know Pak Jimbo? Honest! I put those "laughing" emoticons next to my statement. Here they are again :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, ok.... I do have a few pet hates: bad spelling, rudeness & name calling.

Yeah well imra, your a tankancerous old heefer :p :p :p :p :p :p

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
My pet hate - "name calling", it's the "nasty" type that I hate by the way. I don't mind the "razz" type!!! :lol: (sorry bol!!) :lol:

dandan

Apr 15, 2006
perth
I am a surfer who "hates" the use of the word bahasa instead of indonesian like-"Oh can you speak bahasa?" cos it sounds silly, as for indo vs indonesian I usually say indo cos its easy [less sylla ..syl..sylblls..?} Quick.

pooochie

Aug 8, 2005
UK
Hi All

When I started my job at a very conservative establishment, where they detest American spelling, I always got wrong for spelling words incorrectly or using American spelling and phrases in any writing

So to the subject “pet hates”. One of my pet hates is people that use American spelling for British dictionary words, when they are British :lol: .

Jimbo in the Days of Hell Thread said:
It really appealed to my sense of humor

Sorry Bapak Jimbo :oops:, just adding a bit humour to the forum :p :lol:

All the best

Ni Luh