balinews

Feb 14, 2010
A Perth man claims he's lucky not to be behind bars in Bali after returning from the Indonesian island and finding drugs in his hand luggage.

Rob rang Radio 6PR on Thursday morning after Morning show host Gary Adshead read out the Fairfax Media story about seven Australians holidaying in Bali who had to pay local police $25,000 after they were discovered hiring a stripper for a buck's night in Kuta.

"We flew back from Bali two weeks ago and after we got through all the check points and got home we actually found a balloon filled with a white powder that was in our hand luggage," Rob, who didn't want his last name mentioned, told Radio 6PR.

"We found it in a bag that was last to be packed with all the toiletries and everything else and my wife took it as hand luggage with her, so we pretty much had it with us at the airport.

"By some miracle we got through all the check points."

Rob said he rang the police who inspected the white powder and confirmed it was narcotics.

He said the police didn't say what type of drugs they were.

Read more: Perth man claims he found drugs in his bag after returning from Bali

Claims drugs found in suitcase after Bali trip

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Future drug smugglers will be delighted to hear that Perth airport customs is lax...:icon_e_surprised:

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
If it was the checked luggage then the story could be believable, but hand luggage seems a bit of a stretch to me. At what point what someone have the chance to put something into your hand luggage unless you left it unattended at some point?

I used to listen to talkback radio a bit and I do remember someone once telling a story and the next day the radio station said they could not verify the caller's story. It is amazing how something completely unverifiable is now reported as "news".

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Who's to say it wasn't put in the hand luggage when it was in the overhead locker on the flight. Maybe a passenger was carrying it, but got "cold feet" before landing in Perth.

Having said that, it's surprising it was missed by sniffer dogs when they landed. I don't know about Perth airport, but in Sydney airport, sniffer dogs are roaming around the airport with a handler at all times.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Who's to say it wasn't put in the hand luggage when it was in the overhead locker on the flight. Maybe a passenger was carrying it, but got "cold feet" before landing in Perth. .

A good point and plausible....but surely flushing down the toilet would be a safer method of disposal if someone got 'cold feet.'

davita

Mar 13, 2012
That's true, Davita but maybe he/she was intending to retrieve it after passing through customs/immigration.

That is also plausible and was Schapelle Corby's defence...she said Brisbane baggage handlers must have put the stuff in her boogie bag and the intent was to have it removed in-transit by baggage handlers in Sydney.....she even had evidence that this had been done before.

It didn't work for her.