Personal Stories and real people

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
I encourage personal stories about experiences with either foreigners, Balinese people or companies in this forum. Either good or "bad stories".

In case the story you are telling puts people in a seemingly bad daylight, please don't use their real name or locations.

Don't hold back. These stories need to be told. People that live here or are planning to live here can benefit from your experiences.

Thats what this forum is for.

If someone ever doubts about publishing something, or having published something, it can be discussed via private messages with the administrator, where in most cases wise advice from other moderators will be asked.

May 4, 2004
Bali story

Hi Bert...I like your idea of sharing stories. Several years ago I was in Amed for a few days of snorkling and relaxation. One day, as I sat near the hotel restaurant, a trio of kids ranging in age from about three to five years old walked by. I noticed that they were wearing very old and dirty clothes. They seemed very happy and giggled among themselves as they headed toward the restaurant. They had found an empty shampoo bottle, put some water in it, picked some flowers and were off to deliver their gift. As they got closer to the restaurant, each one of the kids had one hand on the bottle, a brilliant smile on their face, and love in their hearts. You could feel the love radiating from them!

I don't know why this memory has stayed with me all these years, but it has. Perhaps it is because they were so very poor in the material way, but very very rich in the spiritual way. Those three little rag tag children gave me such a gift of understanding what is really important. It doesn't matter what we have, how we dress, or what we give. To me, it only matters that we live from the heart and live in the moment. As Bert would say...that's it!

May 4, 2004
Thank you Bert. I decided to post the first little story from my "happy memories". I didn't want to start off with one of the unpleasant ones. I'll post one of those next time. You know how important balance is to the Balinese. Well, it's the same for me, and I would guess it's the same for many people who read and post on this forum. Ah, life.......

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Agree

The story as told by "Dragonfly" was a great "warm and fuzzy." I think we all can use, or benefit from such experiences. Matur suksma "Dragonfly." You "made" my afternoon.

nelis

Dec 26, 2003
Hi Bert,
This is an excellent idea. We are arriving in Bali very soon, I am always looking for stories re living in Bali the good and the bad.
I like to learn as much as possible about life in Bali,
Jogry

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Well Nelis, I hope that you can share some of your stories when your life in Bali starts. A Newbie in Bali, a day to day report of Nelis and his wife; their new life in Bali. Do you want your own weblog? :wink:

nelis

Dec 26, 2003
Bert, we are quite willing to share our stories, but for the first 60 days we do not have a computer. because we are on holidays first.
As soon as we can reach a internet cafe, we will write our stories from day one.
Jogry

harimau

Aug 31, 2004
I think I'll give this a go as I had an opinion changing experience back in 1999. If you stay in touristy places you will always be hassled by people hawking for business and your wallets are constantly open, which can get on your nerves sometimes. I had a good experience in Melaya (nr Negara) . We went travelling for the day by bemo going to Rambutsiwi then on to Palasari to see the churches. When we got to Melaya, we had to rent to ojeks to take us to Blimbingsari and Palasari. The drivers were good and also took us to the palasari dam to see the lake and then returned to Melaya. We gave them 10000rp each which is cheap as hell. When we handed over the cash the man was jumping up and down, patting his bike with the money with a big grin on his face.They were expecting to share 10000rp, not 10000 each. I have never seen anyone in my whole life so happy when taking my money. the gratitude was written all over their faces and they were still jumping up and down when we walked off to the bemo stop. I don't think I will ever forget that day.

May 4, 2004
Hi Stu and Ayu...Lovely story and a wonderful memory for you. It's amazing how doing something so small (to us) can bring such an abundance of joy to others. Good on you and thank you for sharing.

Driving from Bali to Bromo recently.... after 7 hours of driving and being stopped at a red light in Probolingo there was a busker who came up and sang a song beside the car, I then gave him only 1,000Rp which made him so delighted he started jumping up in the air waving , so his other busking mates could see. I guess people in Java are quiet a bit poorer, or more appreciative, as that would certainly never happen here for only one thousand Rps.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Richard, it's great to have you on this forum. Please be sure to share some of your photographs with us on the Bali Expat Pictures site, link upper right.

We were just up your way last weekend for the one year "oton" for the Helen Flavel Foundation. Helen is still on Bali, but hopefully when she returns to Adelaide, she will write a full report. Some pictures can be found here...albeit not very good ones. A tough day for the camera (and the photographer...bright sun and dark shadows!

http://www.sundream.com/~majapahit/imag ... lights.jpg

Hi Roy... Yes its good to be here on a forum that is not just talking about the price of massages. Pity you didn't drop in while you were here, would love to meet you, so next time drop in and have a chat.

Yes when I have time I will have at look at putting some photo's i have on the page you were talking about.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Thanks for the invite Richard. As it was, we had our pembantu, driver and all three boys with us, so it was tough to do much of anything else except the ceremony for Helen.

If you are headed to Ubud in the future, drop me a line and let's get together!

Helen

Oct 15, 2004
Adelaide South Australia
I have read Roy's post about the Helen Flavel Foundation's big day to celebrate our 1st anniversary. Roy wrote that he hoped I would write a report. This was taken from the "online diary" of our Website.

February trip to Bali

Monday, March 07, 2005

February trip to Bali
Home again after 17 days in Bali, this was indeed a trip to remember. The team decided we should have a party to celebrate the 1st year of the Helen Flavel Foundation. We arranged for all the children on our books to be invited. Also 1 parent/guardian, the Principals from 30 schools, 1 Hospitality College and 1 Higher Learning College. On paper this seemed like a normal party to organize, I wasn't at all prepared for the emotional roller coaster ride I was about to take.

I was totally overwhelmed by the sight of 154 children with big smiles, lined up to meet us, as we walked into the school grounds. I must have looked a sight, smiling like I had just won the lottery, yet not being able to stop the tears from rolling down my face at the same time.

Thank you to all the sponsors for making this dream a reality. It's only through your kindness that these children have been given a chance to get an education and hopefully a better life.

The party went for 4 hours and consisted of a few welcoming speeches, Balinese dancing from the young girls, loads of games and much fun. Finishing off by sharing lunch together and then the children went home with lollies, balloons and an exercise book each. All the principals spoke to me with glowing reports about how well the children are doing at school. The children are told they have been given a "scholarship"which fills the student confidence and much pride.
They all throw themselves into getting the best grades they can.

The house that we pulled down before it collapsed, has been rebuilt. This is home to a 84 year old woman, her 40 year old widowed daughter and her 10 year old grandson. The home looks so good, for the first time in their lives, they actually have a toilet, bathroom and a kitchen area. They have planted many Marigold shrubs which are in full bloom, these flowers are picked and then made into little offerings and sold to the people from the village. This family can make enough money to buy a little more food.

I visited the Rehabilitation Centre for the Bali Society for the Protection of Animals and I was amazed at all the new kennels and the improvements made to the place. Congratulations to Luca and Meita for all their hard work and funds they have invested in the place. Over the years I have seen a great improvement in the health of the Bali dogs, but I wasn't prepared for the sight of 8 Doberman's though. These dogs all around 18 months old, were breed by an expat who found that his dogs were all sick with parasites. On finding this out he decided to have them all killed. Luckily he took them to the vet that cares for the Rehab Centre and their lives were saved. They are so affectionate and now in great condition, 2 have already been placed with new loving families. All the dogs have beautiful natures and really good with children. Their new families and the homes offered are checked out before the dogs are allowed to leave the shelter.I hope to be able to add some photos to this site later. When I find out how to do it:)

We visited Wana Sraya, the aged care home we care for. We found everyone in high spirits and full of news. It seems that some kind hearted tourists are now making a special visit during their stay in Bali, to help with money and goods. It's wonderful to see the difference this kindness is making to these elderly people. One group even bought the home a new washing machine. I took donations to the home from "The Indians Volleyball Club" in Victoria and the Lions Club of Balnarring Hastings Victoria. This money was used to buy drying racks, bedside tables, chairs and much need hand rails for the bathrooms.

If you have any questions you would like answered please email me helen@flavel.com.au

InAdelaide

Oct 14, 2004
Australia
A CHRISTMAS DAY I WILL NEVER FORGET 2004
I hadnt been asleep that night , after a long walk back from Double Six along the beach I stopped and chatted with a guy from Jakarta , he was on Holiday with a group of young friends and only too happy to chat about life.......Well back to the Hotel in Poppies 1, it must have been about 8:30am... to bed or breakfast.....was leaning towards bed but for some reason decided breakfast was the go..If was a great morning as usual, sitting at the breakfast tables were a couple with there small child, another guy, and myself......What was that?, there were some muffled noises from the pool area which was out of sight, everyone glanced across in that direction at the same time. There was a old Balineese lady sitting weaving some baskets smiling, just kids playing the other guy said......I stood up....then..