Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Due to my recent search for medical examination information (general check-up) I'm reliably informed that there is a further good option that is both cheaper and more interesting than doing it in Singapore and that is namely Penang in Malasia.

If anyone has some information about the possibilities there I would be very grateful if you would share it.

Markit

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Expats I know living in Penang use either the Adventist Hospital...or Gleneagles Hospital.

There are others, including a public hospital, but I think an expat might need a Visa to use that one.

Btw I don't think there are any more non-stop flights Bali-Penang vv.

It's been too long ago since I used a Penang hospital that my experience isn't relevant but fwiw I used the Bangkok Phuket Medical Centre for a full check-up in Nov 2011, whilst on a short holiday. I thought, at the time, it was an excellent check-up professionally conducted but, like I said, the Bali Siloam check in April this year was equally good, half the cost of Phuket, and many more choices of tests.
The worst check-up i've had in recent years was the one in Vancouver...took a week to get the lab results and they were not as free as I presumed...Rp800,000 for a prostate PSA...Siloam charged Rp243,000 and same-day results.

One of the issues I have with Siloam is they keep pushing for further checks...doctors sounding like 2nd hand car salesman....and my cardiologist had very dirty teeth...I nearly recommended he see my dentist:icon_e_biggrin:

Penang Adventist Hospital
Bangkok Hospital Phuket - International Hospitals in Thailand.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Visited Penang in May, and was very favorably impressed. Saw the hospital and heard good things, but have no personal experience to share. The Georgetown area was especially appealing with many nice restaurants from which to choose and at decent prices. Would happily recommend the Ren i Tang hotel which is a remodeled old Chinese shophouse faithfully retaining a semblance of its history as a Chinese apothecary. The management is friendly and amazingly helpful with very clean modest rooms, a downstairs bar with draft beer and a large doorway and tables open to the street for great people watching. The place is convenient and affords walking distance to many interesting destinations and very reasonably priced. In fact via a recent email learned of a promo beginning In September, but phone direct for booking. The only rub is that the steep stairway reflects the use of bound feet of former occupants, and large bule feet take some toe stubbing adjustment, but once done is certainly manageable. Feel free to ask for more info. as this place is a real tourist jewel.

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
Hmm, one to keep in mind.... a bit pricy tho: Agoda has it for between US$52-62/ night
but certainly looks the part

as for medicals, Markit, mate, I would still go to Singapore

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
I have a friend who lives in Bangkok and she recommend me a few hospitals in Bangkok and passed me the links, I am surprise you didn't mention them and thanks Davita to talk about one. i though the prices were quite good.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I have a friend who lives in Bangkok and she recommend me a few hospitals in Bangkok and passed me the links, I am surprise you didn't mention them and thanks Davita to talk about one. i though the prices were quite good.

begonia, are you willing to share the links your friend recommends...or is it a secret?

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
I am checking myself hospitals in Singapore and Bangkok for Lasik eyes surgery, any experience about this? or could I ask your opinion on this operation even in your own countries? I know there is many opinions about this topic but I cannot get use to the multifocal glasses so I don't use glasses now and hurting my eyes so it cross my mind to think about the operation, what do you think about that?
Any experiences or know people who did the operation to rid off the glasses?

SusanSydney

Feb 8, 2015
I had lasik in Sydney 18 years ago - they made it so that my left eye sees longsighted and my right eye sees nearsighted - apparently you can't get them both perfect lol

I was extremely happy about not having to wear glasses any more ( had worn since aged 9) and happy ever since but now at age 57 still get a bit of age related myopia and also not such good sight when driving at night. This also can't be fixed. Overall I recommend the procedure.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I had lasik in Sydney 18 years ago - they made it so that my left eye sees longsighted and my right eye sees nearsighted - apparently you can't get them both perfect lol...

I think I saw you in a mall recently...and thought you were winking at me...:icon_wink: :love-struck:
I kept winking back but I all I got was...:tongue: :black_eyed:

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
My brother was born without any eye-lids so they made some for him from his foreskin. He's now a bit cock-eyed but has wonderful fore-sight!

davita

Mar 13, 2012
My brother was born without any eye-lids so they made some for him from his foreskin. He's now a bit cock-eyed but has wonderful fore-sight!

Cum-on Steve, next you're going to tell us your brother string-ties his eyelids to his dick and everytime he blinks he *****(edit)...well, some members of this forum are ladies...:icon_redface: