P

paulseawind

Pemuteran, on Bali's North West coast, is a beautiful desa, with many resorts and restaurants and dive shops

Pemuteran is also home to the BALISALT company that produces a wide range of salt products
For example, free-flowing salt, salt rocks (Giant Rock & Baby Rock), pyramid salt (salt in the shape of a pyramid, small, medium and large), Black Salt, Onion Salt, Garlic Salt, Chilli Salt and many more
At their toko (store) you can see the range
And they also stock condiments from other suppliers, including Coconut Sugar with Ginger and Coconut Sugar Vanilla

To find this exciting toko, go to Pemaron
If driving from Lovina continue through the central area for approx 2 kms and look for Easy Divers - the toko is next to Easy Divers
See the photos below

IMG_5737.jpg IMG_5738.jpg IMG_5739.jpg

Once you enter that narrow dirt gang (laneway) follow it for approx 400 metres until you see, on the left side, a long building with a sheet plastic roof and sheet plastic sides
Enter the property and approx 50 metres from the entrance you will find the 'factory' entrance
The people there will answer your questions and show you how they make the salt

IMG_5740.jpg IMG_5741.jpg IMG_5742.jpg IMG_5743.jpg IMG_5744.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5730.jpg
    IMG_5730.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5731.jpg
    IMG_5731.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited by a moderator:
P

paulseawind

From there you can go to the toko back at the start of the dirt roadway and buy some of their products

View attachment 2294 View attachment 2295 IMG_5732.jpg IMG_5733.jpg IMG_5734.jpg IMG_5735.jpg

Some of the prices as of today are:

Coconut Sugar (250gm) Rp35.000
Ginger Sugar (250gm) Rp45.000
Baby Rock Salt (500gm) Rp48.000
Baby Pyramid Salt (250gm) Rp38.500
Chilli Salt (100gm) Rp27.000
Black Salt (100gm) Rp25.000
Onion Salt (100gm) Rp26.000
Garlic Salt (125gm) Rp24.500

There are plenty of opportunities to try before you buy
It tastes great, like sea salt usually does

The enterprise is called CV. BALI ARTISAN SALT
Their email is imadegelgel@yahoo.com
The contact is Made GelGel
Phone: 081 338 543 121
Address: Jalan Sahadewa No. 1 Dinas Loka Segara Pemuteran - BALI

It is a good outing to go to Pemuteran, with the drive from Seririt onwards being quite nice and easy driving - suitable either for a car or a motor scooter
You will come close to the sea's edge just before Pemuteran and there are large temples to look at and there is also a huge outcrop of volcanic rock at the road's edge, close to Pemuteran
And the Amertha Bali Villas Resort in Pemuteran is a great venue for lunch on the edge of the bay but there are many choices of what and where to eat in the area

You will go past several Pertamina fuel stations and there are also many roadside vendors along the way to Pemuteran, in case you need fuel

If you go past Pemuteran another 20 kms you will go through the National Park and end up at Gilimanuk which is where the ferry to Java goes from

Note: Also see the thread "Kusamba Salt Farming - on Bali's East Coast around 25 mins drive south of CandiDasa"

Last edited by a moderator:

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
Don't be put off Paul. This thread on Salt is an excellent contribution to the forum.

I am now inspired to go out and buy all the different salts, and try them in different ways to find out my favorite.

Thanks Paul

Gozer

Jul 1, 2013
Denpasar, Bali
Are we discussing the merits of Bali artisan salt, or salt in general? Because as a rule I enjoy salt, typical American right, but I have not tried their salt products so am unsure if I can contribute to the conversation or not.

P

paulseawind

Don't be put off Paul. This thread on Salt is an excellent contribution to the forum.

I am now inspired to go out and buy all the different salts, and try them in different ways to find out my favorite.

Thanks Paul

Glad you like this Salt thread and thanks for saying so

I also managed to do a good deed - intentionally

The guy in Pemaron (Made GelGel) - I asked him about a website for his activities
There was 'deer in the headlights' back from him for a few seconds then he smiled and said "Not have website"
Then I asked him about his customers - he rattled off Germany, Holland, Japan, etc
And he proudly showed me a well-worn catalogue in Japanese of course and his Chilli Salt featuring
It's probably cheaper for the Japanese to buy from here than the wages to make it themselves

(There's an export index somewhere that keeps tabs on exports from Bali and the sea salt industry would be in there as well, possibly)

Anyhow, on the way back I told my passenger "I am going to put his business on the Internet this afternoon - then people can find him"

That's why the thread reads a bit like a page from the Tourist Commission's website (they should do this for many small cottage industries and help these people along)
I adopted the view: foreigner living in his Country basically as a guest (of sorts) using expertise to help advertise the local man's business - for free
It seems like a good thing to do as an Expat for a Local and rebounds positively onto the balipod.com website

Certainly doesn't hurt even though it is an amateur attempt, but it's better than nothing
There was precious little info on this around a week ago - at least, my google searches didn't find much
I had to find this guy via a dive shop webpage

Happy Salting !

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia

Thanks Paul

Agreed Paul, thank you taking the time for writing your post. A pleasant change from the insecurities of the stupidity to purchase Bali real estate or the banal w@nk about cheese that has spoiled this forum.

Regards,
Adam

sugarbear

Mar 4, 2011
Pemuteran Salt Farming

Agreed Paul, thank you taking the time for writing your post. A pleasant change from the insecurities of the stupidity to purchase Bali real estate or the banal w@nk about cheese that has spoiled this forum.

Regards,
Adam

Adam, I second your opinion . . . but what do we know!

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Agreed Paul, thank you taking the time for writing your post. A pleasant change from the insecurities of the stupidity to purchase Bali real estate or the banal w@nk about cheese that has spoiled this forum. regards, Adam

Just interested Adam...is there a difference between the 'insecurities of the stupidity to purchase Bali real estate' and buying real estate in Java. Don't you have some property in East Java?

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
Just interested Adam...is there a difference between the 'insecurities of the stupidity to purchase Bali real estate' and buying real estate in Java. Don't you have some property in East Java?

Yes, true I do (or at least am partner to by marriage) have property in East Java. But it is chump change in the grand scheme of things and couldn't really care either way if we had it or not. If it were gone tomorrow I wouldn't lose any sleep, put it that way.

I think it's mad to invest heavily in anything you don't truly own.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Understood Adam...thanks for the reply. The rest of us like to debate those same issues.

Aug 31, 2014
Aberdeen/Singapore
Quote 1 A pleasant change from the insecurities of the stupidity to purchase Bali real estate or the banal w@nk about cheese that has spoiled this forum.

Quote 2 I think it's mad to invest heavily in anything you don't truly own

A pleasant change to see posters upholding the courage of their convictions and and not discussing the 'insecurities to purchase Bali real estate' and avoiding banal w@nk on the subject, but then again, one person's interpretation of self-abuse is another's banter, that's life.