Passenger ferry capsizes docking in Padang Bai

balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Passenger ro-ro ferry DHARMA RUCITRA 3 developed a heavy list starboard and seemingly, capsized, while docking at Padang Bai port, eastern Bali, Lombok Strait, at around 2230 LT (UTC +7) Jun 12, on arrival from Lembar, Lombok island. Understood passengers managed to get to the pier, no casualties, no injures reported. List was caused by vehicles shift, some passengers said they saw and heard water ingress, prior to vehicles started to move on cargo deck.

Passenger ro-ro ship DHARMA RUCITRA 3, IMO 8904939, GT 855, built 1989, flag Indonesia.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Stories differ :) Capt reckons it started to go mid channel but everyone else says 20 min before "docking" haha. Capt is unavailable for comment - too upset - more like searching for a new job. Resume aint gonna look good - Nautical experience - driving good! Docking, not so much. Can't understand if he knew it was sinking he didn't beach it on the main Padang Bai beach - that way all cars/trucks could egress too?

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
I quite regularly take the java ferry , generally the condition of the ships does not inspire confidence ,to say the least , especially in rough weather which I normally avoid if possible .

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I quite regularly take the java ferry , generally the condition of the ships does not inspire confidence ,to say the least , especially in rough weather which I normally avoid if possible .
I've been on lots of them and they are all "widowmakers".

Crew is a joke - most only interested in their own private business or fishing off the back.

State of maintenance - shocking, most of the boats are only held together by hundreds of layers of paint.

Upside is they go often and are cheap as chips and I just love the optimism of the passengers, most of whom can't swim a bathtub length.

Reactions: tel522