davita

Mar 13, 2012
The terrible murders in Paris last night is sickening and imo there will be consquences.
The French have already closed their borders so I think there is a danger that the Shengen visa might be in jeopardy.
If anyone is contemplating a visit to EU on a Shengen visa in the near future I suggest keeping abreast with the news on that matter.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
This phrase "close the borders" is strange. The President of France said it, but pretty much all international flights are arriving and it is obvious that whatever ID checking is going on with motorist travelling between France and Belgium is not changing much. It is clear that Europe is not well setup for closing borders.

Now Replubican Govenors in the US are wanting to "close their state borders" to Syrian refugees. How can they do that?

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
This phrase "close the borders" is strange. The President of France said it, but pretty much all international flights are arriving and it is obvious that whatever ID checking is going on with motorist travelling between France and Belgium is not changing much. It is clear that Europe is not well setup for closing borders.

Now Replubican Govenors in the US are wanting to "close their state borders" to Syrian refugees. How can they do that?

The French borders are still open, except for the fact that every motorist is checked (driver's license, registration, and ID card or passport) before driving through the borders, in BOTH directions. At the airports, it's the same. In that respect, nothing has changed for non-European nationals. For European nationals, it's a new procedure, something like in the "olden days."

Regarding the US Republican Governors, they cannot over-ride the US Constitution, it's just political braggadocio, for the benefit of their low-information electorate. The Syrian refugees, like all refugees before them, will be first vetted by the Federal authorities, and settled in different parts of the US. I don't know how these "different parts" are chosen.