kiwi

Nov 8, 2010
Brisbane
Preparation is the key to your final outcome, as Mat said all loose and flaking paint must be removes and then a light sand takes the old surfactants off and allows good adhesion for your new paint.
Markit, I think your painter is confused with being able to thin the paint down for spray painting application, this done with a viscosity cup so there is no hard and fast rule about 10%, they add water to allow it to flow through the viscosity cup within a certain time.
As you open you paint tin and use it surfactants evaporate so you can add water to bring the paint back to it's original consistency allowing for even coverage, if you thin it down too much you will have to apply more coats which makes the old saying "less is more" really true
There is a product from Dulux which you add to your paint to slow down the dry time, the base formula is change for each region so the product you buy in Indonesia will already have this quality in it. In NZ due to the extreme change from winter to summer high turnover base products are altered for each season as Indonesia is basically the same temperature all year round it's not really an issue.
Hope this helps

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Thanks very much - any ideas on the bubbling problem? For instance when paint on the face of outside stairs bubbles out after a rain due to water soaking through from the step above - have tried waterproofing step above but doesn't help. Would actually be better if the Weathercoat would allow water to run through - perhaps due to a constructive bit of paint thinning?

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Agree Kiwi - did not get a test pot - bugger - the colour was called "cucumber" - now on walls, more like kiwi fruit, how long I can put up with? Time will tell......no pun intended or offence Kiwi hehehehe.....
Really profit from all this info.,and purchased accordingly. As with yourself the mixed color did not compare.......Desert Sand came out tangerine orange! Next time I will go with the regular color charts.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Yep the steps are concrete topped with terracotta tiles, water runs down them like Niagara when it rains. Have thought about offering white water rafting but it would be short ride.

kiwi

Nov 8, 2010
Brisbane
There is a product called DULUX Weathershield Durapave Fast Dry Gloss is a rapid dry, solvent based, heavy duty, styrene modified alkyd gloss finish for application to floors and paving designed for this kind of application. It should stop the water problem if you strip the surface back to bare concrete before applying.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Stripping back the surface may be a problem as that would mean I have to effectively destroy the stair to save them - so to speak. But thanks for the advice.

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
Hey Markit how did you go with the lime wash? I have a rising damp issue (as with most house here) and have been doing the research and a breathable paint may be the answer. All of the products mentioned here are basically a acrylic membrane that effectively seals in the water rising up due to no damp course. then the paint blisters and pops.
Have you used the lime wash yet as I would like to know if it was successful. you can buy it in Oz but its quite expensive. I was thinking about stripping back the area of damp abd blending the edges in then using the lime wash.
Thoughts thx

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hey Markit how did you go with the lime wash? I have a rising damp issue (as with most house here) and have been doing the research and a breathable paint may be the answer. All of the products mentioned here are basically a acrylic membrane that effectively seals in the water rising up due to no damp course. then the paint blisters and pops.
Have you used the lime wash yet as I would like to know if it was successful. you can buy it in Oz but its quite expensive. I was thinking about stripping back the area of damp abd blending the edges in then using the lime wash.
Thoughts thx
Your take on this is absolutely correct and in the following 7 years I've not found a good solution. As you say the "waterproof' products are a an acrylic membrane and will bubble up when the water comes from the wrong side. Having said that they look great and are easily renewable. Whitewash sounds good but it gets some really interesting fungi that turn both (!) red and then green, then red again. Locals reckon that's the salt.... My advise is use the acrylic (WeatherCoat-Dulux) and just be prepared to do it after every rainy season.

Don't be sad about the missing damp-course - do you really want a building in the ring of fire (earthquake heaven) that isn't attached to the foundation?

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
Yeah the more research Ive done is that the "mould" is called efflourencence. Its a combo of salts and calcium leaching out. From what I read if the application is done on new masonary it isnt a problem. I meet a local guy at the hardware and he solved the problem very simply. Every house in Bali has it and just ceramic 1.2mt high...problem fixed or at the very least outer sight

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Yeah the more research Ive done is that the "mould" is called efflourencence. Its a combo of salts and calcium leaching out. Depends which direction (toward or away from the ocean) the wall is facing.

From what I read if the application is done on new masonary it isnt a problem. I meet a local guy at the hardware and he solved the problem very simply. Every house in Bali has it and just ceramic 1.2mt high...problem fixed or at the very least outer sight
What!? Ceramic 1.2 meters high around the house, are you mad?
Sorry I don't understand your answer.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
You guys are always going on about paint. Get a f*g life! Is paint the epitome of civilisation?

Couldn't help myself.

The worlds armies are devoted to painting when they aren't killing each other - "if it moves, salute it, if it doesn't, paint it" . So, YES, paint is the epitome of civilization. Or at least gives the armies of the world something other than killing us, to do.

Sep 19, 2021
Simple explanation the quality comes down to the amount of resin in the paint, the test is pickup the cans and feel the weight difference.
Dulux is a quality brand but it also has its cheaper lines and again the weight will identify which is which. The Dulux Weathershield range has (not sure if it's marketed as that in Indo) a mould inhibitor in it which is handy in the Bali climate. All paints are supposed to washed annually to remove the surfactants and build up (chalking) which helps prolong the life of the paint the 10 year guarantee is nil and void if you can not proof that this has been done. Preparation is important as paint companies use a resin that has more elastodynamics (ability to expand and contract) and this can pull the existing paint off the surface and appear as bubbling which is not your new paint failing the old paint underneath. Light reflectance is another important factor the darker the colour the more light absorption the more heat and this effects a the exterior surface product. Paints are a water proof membrane and you would only water proof a area if there was dampness coming out from the surface. Most modern paint a primer-less but if you are concerned about the quality of the surface always apply a primer first, it's not good practice to mix an oil base primer with a water base top coat and not one uses a oil base top coats these day. When painting around doors and windows never used normal paint such as the exterior paint as when the two surfaces are together they react and this causes the sticking commercial painting. There special water base products such as Aquanamel for doors and windows.
Hope this helps
thank you for your suggestion. really helpful for me. i am also here for the recommendations and got my solution. thanks again

Reactions: Markit