Paint recommendation for rendered block wall

Wolverine

Mar 14, 2022
HI I'm new to this forum. I've just had a rendered block wall built around my land, should l leave it for a few months to cure & to allow any leaching of salts etc before l paint it? I actually won't get back to Bali till mid July. ..Cheers Jeff

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
HI I'm new to this forum. I've just had a rendered block wall built around my land, should l leave it for a few months to cure & to allow any leaching of salts etc before l paint it? I actually won't get back to Bali till mid July. ..Cheers Jeff
No point in leaving it but I would recommend you check your history books and take a good look at using white-wash.

200 years of British conquest can't be wrong - If it moves salute it, if not white-wash it.

I use it on my outside wall surfaces (not the house) and it's easy to renew, cheap and fights fungus and stays looking good.

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
No point in leaving it but I would recommend you check your history books and take a good look at using white-wash.

200 years of British conquest can't be wrong - If it moves salute it, if not white-wash it.

I use it on my outside wall surfaces (not the house) and it's easy to renew, cheap and fights fungus and stays looking good.
Interesting.
Where can this whitewash be found?
Yes, a serious question from me for a change
Purchased some land in Jimbaran and has a wall around it requiring a spruce up.

Cheers
Ken

Tezza71

Oct 31, 2018
Interesting.

Cheers
Ken
Yeah I'd like to know too as I'm building a place out at Gianyar and I'm sure I'll need to paint the surrounding wall of the block.

Wolverine

Mar 14, 2022

Have you photos of your white washed wall?

Wolverine

Mar 14, 2022

Whats the best paint shop in Denpasar for good quality paint, & do they sell Wattyl paint or only Dulux?

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017

Googled it and yep, it is what in French we call "peinture a la chaux"

I remember my Dad using it to paint the walls of the courtyard. In Belgium, and about 60 years ago.....

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Interesting.

Cheers
Ken
There are lots of "recipes" for whitewash to be found and they all include various measures for salt and lime (not the fruit). We've had the best success (my guys and me) with substituting white cement for lime and a fairly high percentage of salt (anti fungal) and occasionally glue. There's lots of options and you need to try some of them out - there is no "buying whitewash" as far as I know.

The wall usually looks good for about 2 years and then in year 3 or 4 (depending on weathering and fungus) needs to be redone. The same will also be true for any expensive paint you can find. I think white is the easiest to keep clean and if some of the ww washes off well we always have a bucket full around somewhere.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Have you photos of your white washed wall?
Here's a dropbox link to some images of my walls (about 2 years since last painted) on the main house about the same (with Dulus Weathercoat or some such - fecking expensive) - kind of a work in progress, like the Golden Gate bridge in SF. You start at one end and when you've gotten to the other you can start over again.

Wolverine

Mar 14, 2022
Here's a dropbox link to some images of my walls (about 2 years since last painted) on the main house about the same (with Dulus Weathercoat or some such - fecking expensive) - kind of a work in progress, like the Golden Gate bridge in SF. You start at one end and when you've gotten to the other you can start over again.

Yeh sweet thanks mate

Reactions: Markit