I have a UPS package stuck in customs & have no idea how to get it cleared. Customs is demanding an import license, which I don't have. The package is 3 iPads with declared value of $2000. The exact message is:
<AN IMPORT LICENSE IS MISSING AND IS REQUIRED FOR CLEARANCE>

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get a package released or a company that could be compensated to facilitate the clearance of my package from customs in Jakarta?

Thank you,
John

I have a UPS package stuck in customs & have no idea how to get it cleared. Customs is demanding an import license, which I don't have. The package is 3 iPads with declared value of $2000. The exact message is:

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get a package released or a company that could be compensated to facilitate the clearance of my package from customs in Jakarta?

Thank you,
John

John, have you been receiving reqular products by this method to draw attention to ureself, the other problem is there is more than one item; which suggests probably wrongly that you are importing the goods for sale to the local market.

I paid customs on three school books however on local intervention it was resolved. Ask to pay the customs duties it may be upwards of 300 usd

New regs - a nightmare

We have had a shipment of personal effects stuck in Surabaya for 11 weeks now. Regs changed during shipment and now an import licence is required. It wasn't at the time of dispatch. Worse, my agent informs me that it will get worse - something about needing to be a company now in order to get an import licence.

Your only hope is to 1) apply to the Trade Department for a letter approving the release of the goods without an import licence, 2) talk to a freight forwarder who will re-export the goods to Singapore and re-import them via what mine called "semi-legal methods", presumably with the right bits of paper.

Alternatively, call Asri at Bali Expatriate Services here in Jl. Nakula, Legian. She has a contact in Jakarta who *may* be able to expedite the shipment, but with the new laws, who knows.

My freight agent in Australia has had so much trouble over the last few months with intransigent customs people that he is no longer shipping anything to Indonesia. Our stuff will go back to Australia next week if the exemption letter gambit doesn't work. Then one of us has to fly back to Oz, fly back and bring it all over as unaccompanied baggage which, I believe, is a lot easier to clear at airport customs. Perhaps. Maybe the regs have changed yet again.

Welcome to Indonesia.

package

John, have you been receiving reqular products by this method to draw attention to ureself, the other problem is there is more than one item; which suggests probably wrongly that you are importing the goods for sale to the local market.

I paid customs on three school books however on local intervention it was resolved. Ask to pay the customs duties it may be upwards of 300 usd

I had one package sent last month, package sent by my lawyers that had a few hard drives of an office they shut down - declared value was $500 (drives all are +3 years old), customs deemed due to the weight (2.3kg) that the package was worth $2500, I paid 5.8 million IDR to have it released.

I don't even have the option to pay a fee here, also this package was sent to my wife and is in her name.

bad news

We have had a shipment of personal effects stuck in Surabaya for 11 weeks now. Regs changed during shipment and now an import licence is required. It wasn't at the time of dispatch. Worse, my agent informs me that it will get worse - something about needing to be a company now in order to get an import licence.

Your only hope is to 1) apply to the Trade Department for a letter approving the release of the goods without an import licence, 2) talk to a freight forwarder who will re-export the goods to Singapore and re-import them via what mine called "semi-legal methods", presumably with the right bits of paper.

Alternatively, call Asri at Bali Expatriate Services here in Jl. Nakula, Legian. She has a contact in Jakarta who *may* be able to expedite the shipment, but with the new laws, who knows.

My freight agent in Australia has had so much trouble over the last few months with intransigent customs people that he is no longer shipping anything to Indonesia. Our stuff will go back to Australia next week if the exemption letter gambit doesn't work. Then one of us has to fly back to Oz, fly back and bring it all over as unaccompanied baggage which, I believe, is a lot easier to clear at airport customs. Perhaps. Maybe the regs have changed yet again.

Welcome to Indonesia.

Oh, this is bad news :(

Thanks for the contact person. Will contact her immediately. (Asri)

JUDY

May 11, 2007
seattle wa campuhan bali
baggage

Back in June 2000 I brought alot of breakable stuff, crystal, antique clock, bowls, vases, etc as carry on luggage. I also merely paid additional fees to the airline for extra boxes...three if I recall. They questioned me briefly on my arrival regarding the persian rugs and a few items. I simply replied these were my household goods and I was bring them to Bali for my house. That was that. I paid nothing to customs.

Thought it was an easier way to go back then; and the result was no dough paid out! However, with all this buzz regarding customs fees---does sending furniture a definite no no now????

Ho hum, when we go back what a pain in the neck! And our baby, Meow Meow, or King as we call him....will have to bring him in somehow.....Espionage...planes, boats, and automobiles.....Every animal I have ever had becomes an integral family member. I can't leave him behind; therefore, extreme measures in the future will have to be implemented to guarantee his safe entrance into the country. What a headache. So many things to do to prepare to return home. Ahhhhh makes my head spin.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
.....Every animal I have ever had becomes an integral family member. I can't leave him behind; therefore, extreme measures in the future will have to be implemented to guarantee his safe entrance into the country. What a headache. So many things to do to prepare to return home. Ahhhhh makes my head spin.

Judy, I'm assuming King is a cat so you should be o.k. But if you have a dog you'll need to re-think the extreme measures. Because of the rabies epidemic as far as I know it is not possible to import a dog into Bali. Even vaccinated dogs are banned. This makes no sense. It is the unvaccinated dogs on the island that are the danger, not vaccinated dogs coming in.

Like you we won't leave our pets behind and we have two dogs. So my husband will be living in Bali overseeing the building of our home and I will be living in Australia until we can figure out how to get the dogs in.

If anyone has any useful information about how we might bring our dogs into Bali I'd love to hear it, either on the forum or in a private message.

Kauaiguy

Apr 4, 2010
Judy, I'm assuming King is a cat so you should be o.k. But if you have a dog you'll need to re-think the extreme measures. Because of the rabies epidemic as far as I know it is not possible to import a dog into Bali. Even vaccinated dogs are banned. This makes no sense. It is the unvaccinated dogs on the island that are the danger, not vaccinated dogs coming in.

Like you we won't leave our pets behind and we have two dogs. So my husband will be living in Bali overseeing the building of our home and I will be living in Australia until we can figure out how to get the dogs in.

If anyone has any useful information about how we might bring our dogs into Bali I'd love to hear it, either on the forum or in a private message.

Pollyanna,

Have you looked into perhaps shipping the dogs to another country first and then on to Bali. Does the ban on dogs apply to ALL countries? I can envision a kind of midnight express scene, the dog woofs from your backpack in response to a customs agent's question, funny? I think not! But isn't that part of the mystique of moving to Bali? Please keep us up to date on your importing situation.

Peter Ka

Mar 31, 2010
JohnDean, perhaps Bali Expatriate Services may be able to help, but then again, Customs is being a pain in the a$$ lately. I know a few companies with tech import licenses, but all docs need to be in their name. Can't just add their import license number on a form. Guess you will have the goods shipped back where they came from and retry with DHL. They have an import license for almost everything. An alternative may be to ship by the postal services of your country. One by one and declare the IPAD as having a value of USD 149. This has always worked for me. Just imported two IREX DR800 this way. Had to pay the Indonesian postal service Rp 3000 (yes) per package...

Good luck.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Pollyanna,

Have you looked into perhaps shipping the dogs to another country first and then on to Bali. Does the ban on dogs apply to ALL countries? I can envision a kind of midnight express scene, the dog woofs from your backpack in response to a customs agent's question, funny? I think not! But isn't that part of the mystique of moving to Bali? Please keep us up to date on your importing situation.

Kauaiguy, yes, the ban applys to all countries. If dogs from any country were allowed it should be Australia. We don't have rabies here, never have. And your midnight express scenario would make a good cartoon if the situation weren't so sad. Customs agents are killing healthy, vaccinated dogs at Bali check points. Ridiculous really since a vaccinated dog can't spread rabies. More needs to be done to vaccinate the dogs already on the island.

Blondie

Mar 3, 2010
Kauaiguy, yes, the ban applys to all countries. If dogs from any country were allowed it should be Australia. We don't have rabies here, never have. And your midnight express scenario would make a good cartoon if the situation weren't so sad. Customs agents are killing healthy, vaccinated dogs at Bali check points. Ridiculous really since a vaccinated dog can't spread rabies. More needs to be done to vaccinate the dogs already on the island.

What is really strange is the ban on taking animals out of Bali, using the explanation that they are protecting other countries

what rubbish

As if Bali needs (or wants) to protect other countries from Rabies

All countries have their quarantine and import regulations so a dog cant get into any country without being tested and cleared through very stringent procedures. Microchipping, blood serum testing for antibodies and more.

Australia alone wont accept any animal from Indonesia under any circumstance whatsoever so an animal couldnt even get on to a plane to Australia from here or Jakarta. They can be clean and clear and they cannot go into Oz.

Europe and USA will accept animals that have been tested by an authorised lab for antibodies and cleared

I have a dog and cat that are vaccinated for Rabies

Their blood serum has been checked for antibodies by a lab in the Netherlands and they are both certified and cleared to enter Europe without any quarantine whatsoever

But I cant legally take them out of Bali!

Its all about the money... they get bribed, the animals get out

Its the Bali way and any suggestion that this regulation is to protect either Bali which is full of Rabies or other counties, which protect themselves, is just more official rubbish and income generation by the Balinese

The Balinese officials realised that many many bulees were taking their beloved pets out of Bali and realised that it was a financial loophole which they have plugged

Another reason rabies is such a problem in Bali is that initially the Government banned imported rabies vaccines, insisting that only the locally produced vaccine be used.

Unfortunately it was inferior and it was then manipulated and watered down as everyone took their cut so didn't produce enough antibodies to protect from rabies and actually allowed rabies to flourish!

I ended up having my pets vaccinated twice when the first one didnt work, I got hold of an imported one from the USA (which is now apparently legal but wasn't then)

There is no logical reason for the ban on animals to and from Bali

More animals coming in wont do anything about the epidemic here and any animal here that is being taken out wont even make it onto a plane without the full paperwork, microchip and evidence of being rabies free

Regards
N

Wtf!!

Thank you,
John

****UPDATE*****

Just received word that I can have the package released by customs for the small upfront fee of 27 million IDR, WOW!! No receipt, they will send someone by my villa to pickup the money before they release the package to UPS. I'm speechless, feel helpless and hostage to a system that just seems unfair.

Anyone else have this experience before? I assume I just pay and keep my fingers crossed the package will arrive, UPS can not confirm anything at the moment.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
That's sounds crazy. I would at least try and negotiate the price. :icon_evil:

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Europe and USA will accept animals that have been tested by an authorised lab for antibodies and cleared

I have a dog and cat that are vaccinated for Rabies

Their blood serum has been checked for antibodies by a lab in the Netherlands and they are both certified and cleared to enter Europe without any quarantine whatsoever

I am very surprised by your statement. According to US FDA regulations regarding animals being presented in fairs (cows, sheep, dogs, cats, etc), the animals' owners MUST show proof by licensed veterinarians of their animals having been vaccinated against rabies. There are NO exceptions, and there is no such a thing as testing for any antibodies in the animals' bloods, in cases where these vaccination certificates cannot be provided.

Could you provided us with the name of the test you are talking about?

motormouth

Aug 29, 2009
Canggu
I had 75 used computers sent to Bali via Surabaya last year. All documentation was carried out before hand. Upon arrival they were stopped in the port. I explained that they were to be donated to schools in Singaraja. We had letters from the Head of Education in Buleleng...still to no avail. So the computers were sent back to Australia. We even had a ceremony in one of the schools for the impending arrival of the computers. Sending goods here whether for personal use or in my last attempt, for a donation is a disaster, nobody has any idea what is required...I know , same old crap. I also tried the local Rotary and other charities for help...nothing.
Shame, the schools were so excited.

rabies titer

I am very surprised by your statement. According to US FDA regulations regarding animals being presented in fairs (cows, sheep, dogs, cats, etc), the animals' owners MUST show proof by licensed veterinarians of their animals having been vaccinated against rabies. There are NO exceptions, and there is no such a thing as testing for any antibodies in the animals' bloods, in cases where these vaccination certificates cannot be provided.

rabies titer?

check #.3 here: Compendium of Animal Rabies Prevention and Control, 2008* - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!
mportation and Interstate Movement of Animals.

International. CDC regulates the importation of dogs and cats into the United States. Importers of dogs must comply with rabies vaccination requirements (42 CFR, Part 71.51[c] [ CDC - New Websites - DGMQ ]) and complete CDC form 75.37 ( CDC - New Websites - DGMQ ). The appropriate health official of the state of destination should be notified within 72 hours of the arrival of any imported dog required to be placed in confinement under the CDC regulation. Failure of the owner to comply with these confinement requirements should be promptly reported to the Division of Global Migration and Quarantine, CDC (telephone: 404-639-3441).

Federal regulations alone are insufficient to prevent the introduction of rabid animals into the United States ( 20,21 ). All imported dogs and cats are subject to state and local laws governing rabies and should be currently vaccinated against rabies in accordance with this compendium. Failure of the owner to comply with state or local requirements should be referred to the appropriate state or local official.

Interstate. Before interstate movement (including commonwealths and territories), dogs, cats, ferrets, and horses should be currently vaccinated against rabies in accordance with this compendium's recommendations (see Part I. B.1.). Animals in transit should be accompanied by a currently valid NASPHV Form 51, Rabies Vaccination Certificate ( http://www.nasphv.org/Documents/RabiesVacCert.pdf ). When an interstate health certificate or certificate of veterinary inspection is required, it should contain the same rabies vaccination information as Form 51.

Last edited:

Blondie

Mar 3, 2010

Hi

I don't know the name of the test (Ive just known it as the Rabies Antibodies Serum Test) but I can email you the lab results from The Netherlands if you wish so you can see how they work. IM sure the name adn other details are all there for you. I might even try to see if I can post it here but not sure how. Ill give it a go though

I do need to supply the vaccination booklets with stamps etc to show vaccination proof, but without the blood test to prove that the vaccinations have actually resulted in the animal having the relevant antibodies, he/she will not be admitted.

The problem is that the authorities in Europe USA etc dont trust that the stamps in animals booklets are genuine when they come from certain countries, and of course some vaccines are inferior and even if administered do not necessarily result in immunity, so antibodies must be tested for.

The animals blood must be tested and show that it has antibodies in their blood to be able to enter.(a certain minimum number is required to pass the test... both my guys passed)

The animal must be microchipped and the blood sent has the microchip number and when the animal arrives at its destination, the blood results are shown, the animal is scanned to ensure the chip matches the number on the test results.

It is also vital that the ship be scanned before you leave Bali to ensure that its still working because if it isn't, the animal will not be admitted at the other end.

contact Dr Listrianis clinic in (near ) Sanur for better information than I can give.

I can also send you contact details for the lab in the Netherlands who will email you all of the entry requirements (for Europe anyway, which is where I'm going)

Regards
N

Last edited:

Blondie

Mar 3, 2010
Hi

I don't know the name of the test (Ive just known it as the Rabies Antibodies Serum Test) but I can email you the lab results from The Netherlands if you wish so you can see how they work. IM sure the name adn other details are all there for you. I might even try to see if I can post it here but not sure how. Ill give it a go though

N

K

I checked the forms (which I wont post here as they're re un-editable and hold too many personal details address, phone etc

but the test name is

Rabies serology (FAVN)

Here is some copy off the results sent to me

Information of client:
Date of acceptance : 11/09/2009 Date of sampling : 04/06/2009
Reason for testing : Screening UBN :
Import/export country : Name of owner : ___________
Animal species : Cat Address : ________________
Number of samples : 1 City : 80361 Seminyak Bali Indo.

Test results:
No. Identity Sample type Research (type of investigation) Result
001 982009102643794 Serum Rabies serology (FAVN) Titre: >=7.7 IU/ml

Regards
N

davidhalim

Nov 4, 2010
Help please

****UPDATE*****

Just received word that I can have the package released by customs for the small upfront fee of 27 million IDR, WOW!! No receipt, they will send someone by my villa to pickup the money before they release the package to UPS. I'm speechless, feel helpless and hostage to a system that just seems unfair.

Anyone else have this experience before? I assume I just pay and keep my fingers crossed the package will arrive, UPS can not confirm anything at the moment.

Hey, is there any new news, because i just experiencing, the same thing here in Jakarta, I bought something from the internet, and then i got message from ups tracking missing import license

can anyone help me...
can i get refund from the seller?