BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
I had 75 used computers sent to Bali via Surabaya last year. All documentation was carried out before hand. Upon arrival they were stopped in the port. I explained that they were to be donated to schools in Singaraja. We had letters from the Head of Education in Buleleng...still to no avail. So the computers were sent back to Australia. We even had a ceremony in one of the schools for the impending arrival of the computers. Sending goods here whether for personal use or in my last attempt, for a donation is a disaster, nobody has any idea what is required...I know , same old crap. I also tried the local Rotary and other charities for help...nothing.
Shame, the schools were so excited.

Sounds like a similar story my friend Russell went through.

He's also from Canngu, hmmmm could it be?

Tamispecial

Oct 14, 2010
Legian Kaja
Why is it that i smell a $cam here?
Bali seems to becoming increasingly (even) more money hungry from tourists and business people.

I sympathise with those of you having this problem but I can't help thinking the almighty $$ has a lot to do with this problem.

Just a thought....could it be that they want you to buy "Indonesian" rather than bring your own from overseas?

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Imports

Always use a agent if want to import anything.
My friend imports between 8-10 containers per month.
If he did not use a agent it would cost him $$$$$$$$

Tamispecial

Oct 14, 2010
Legian Kaja
I just read all these replies again and it seems to me there is (another) scam happening here.

The poor person who had to pay 27 million, that is outrageous especially if you didn't get a receipt and i am at a loss as to why?

Fred2 seems to have the answer...use an agent, at least that way if you have anything to pay it is already included and not lining some corrupt "official's" pocket.

Having been here quite a few months I have noticed huge increases which seem to me to be aimed at the bule and their increased business here in Bali...post office charges have gone up almost 100%..again targeting the bule...not to mention the rip off of the new alcohol taxes earlier this year from Jakarta...again...attacking the tourist.

I can see many people taking a look at all these scams and deciding to move elsewhere to a (maybe) less corrupt system.

just my opinion:icon_sad:

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
I just read all these replies again and it seems to me there is (another) scam happening here.

The poor person who had to pay 27 million, that is outrageous especially if you didn't get a receipt and i am at a loss as to why?

Fred2 seems to have the answer...use an agent, at least that way if you have anything to pay it is already included and not lining some corrupt "official's" pocket.

Having been here quite a few months I have noticed huge increases which seem to me to be aimed at the bule and their increased business here in Bali...post office charges have gone up almost 100%..again targeting the bule...not to mention the rip off of the new alcohol taxes earlier this year from Jakarta...again...attacking the tourist.

I can see many people taking a look at all these scams and deciding to move elsewhere to a (maybe) less corrupt system.

just my opinion:icon_sad:

Tamispecial, we are perhaps just disagreeing about semantics here but in a scam the person paying doesn't know he's being cheated. In many of the instances you've mentioned the bule or the lokal knows the price and can agree to it or not. His choice, the same in any free country in the world.
In the post office the lokal pays the same price as the tourist so a price rise is only aimed at increasing takings. I also try to remember, when there are price increases, how cheap so many things are to begin with.
Even in the case of korupsi it works to the benefit of the payer as often as not. It is usually a Choice.
An Indonesian friend of ours recently went to court over a traffic violation because he did not want to pay "under the table" but it wasn't a problem of targeting tourists or bules.
I totally agree with you about the level of corruption in Indonesia and that it is not good in any regard but I don't feel personally targeted or victimized as a bule in Bali.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
If you think you are beening rip-off, you should look at employing a local to do your shopping.
tell your helper the price you want to pay & send him out to do, it works for me & he comes back with a cheaper price.:icon_lol: I have been in a shop & walked out thinking that something is wrong,
sent in my main man & the price came down. I love Indonesia

gingerkiss

Dec 18, 2010
Is not just happen to Bule is to the local too, I sent baby basinet about a month ago from Oz for my sister in law In java and they demanded Rp500.000 which is quite lot of money for my sister in law,They also start to treatened my sister in law if she didnt pay they will sell the baby basinet and wouldnt return it to me as I told them to not pay the fee they asking.
Its very heartbreaking to see the attitude of local people getting worst and worst.