Overstayer

Mikebrown16

Dec 30, 2019
Have overstayed 50 days have return flight but don’t have funds to pay the penalty can anyone say with certainty if the overstayer will be detained or will they be allowed to travel

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
Mike,

I would really suggest that you contact your Embassy or Consulate representative either here in Bali or in Jakarta URGENTLY to get support and the real take on what will happen.

I am not a legal expert but my best guess is that if you do not pay you in the worst case, you will be detained, immigration will contact your Consulate / Embassy representative and have you deported probably at the expense of your home government. Your aggregate bill consisting of fines, deportation costs and possibly consular support will be rolled up and collected from you probably by your home government on a payment plan at a guess. Your home government will most likely confiscate your passport until your debt is cleared. You will also be blacklisted from entering Indonesia for a period of time.

It seems that after 60 days overstay its instant deportation in any case (https://coconuts.co/bali/news/russi...-cant-buy-tickets-home-because-he-was-robbed/).

Go talk to your consulate / embassy now!

Reactions: matsaleh and Fred2

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Have overstayed 50 days have return flight but don’t have funds to pay the penalty can anyone say with certainty if the overstayer will be detained or will they be allowed to travel
You will not be allowed to travel. I overstayed one day by mistake once and missed my flight as a result because my card wouldn't work at the ATM. They will not let you board your flight.

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
There is a point when the overstay becomes a criminal offense which may be 60 days but I am not sure. So you need to get this sorted asap otherwise you could find yourself in even deeper trouble.

Reactions: Fred2

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
As everyone has said you will not allowed to leave till you pay the fine. You need a open ticket as immigration will take enough time to process the paper work till you miss your flight. Some people turn up to the airport the day before so they make the flight.

Mikebrown16

Dec 30, 2019
As everyone has said you will not allowed to leave till you pay the fine. You need a open ticket as immigration will take enough time to process the paper work till you miss your flight. Some people turn up to the airport the day before so they make the flight.
Thank you for your reply
Can you confirm if they will allow the overstayer to leave without paying the penalty as there is no funding available to pay it

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
I understand that after 60 days it becomes a criminal matter resulting in brief detention for interrogation to ensure you haven't been working illegally, followed by deportation and blacklisting, from which there is no easy way back to Indonesia, ever. Don't be fooled by a 'six month' blacklist... it actually continues indefinitely until actively lifted by immigration and lifting it requires that you have someone like a spouse and/or lawyer here on the ground who can make your case. Not at all easy to do from what I've heard. Deportation from one country can also result in denied visas to other countries in the future. Less than 60 days, it's not criminal and you gotta pay, though you will avoid being deported and blacklisted. At this point, you are close to the 60 day period and apparently have no money, so you may as well wait it out and take your punishment.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
It seems unlikely that you might have a credit card but if you do have credit available you might draw the cash to cover the penalty.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Unlike the pussies here in Australia, Indonesia has a very simple system. If you don't pay you go to jail, when YOU pay the fine and YOU have a ticket (to your home country)you will be deported.
Some countries will not allow you to enter because you have been deported.
Safe bet is to go to the airport with flexible ticket and money for the fine or as close as.
You need to find the money, embassy, parents, friends, go fundme. Immigration knows you can find the money somewhere, I wish there was a easy way.
What country are you from?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
If you are Australian then I doubt contacting the consulate will be of any use (from personal experience). As others have suggested, the only option you really have is to try and get friends/family to help you out. Apparently the conditions at the immigration jail are pretty grim and they don't provide bedding. Sorry, I don't mean to make you anxious but if you can try to make some arrangements with a friend who can bring you supplies.