Bali Villa Sales

Villas of Bali ™ is the trusted real estate company that offers the most beautiful villas for sale on Bali. Visit our experienced and helpful staff in our office in Seminyak, or search the extensive villa listing online at www.balivillasales.com, providing the most exclusive properties for sale. Villas of Bali ™ stands for quality, integrity and trust. We help you save time and money, while providing you peace of mind of your property related needs. Send us an email to info@villasofbali.com, or call us at +62 878 6249 3526.

1. Welcome Guest to the new look Balipod. If you are an existing member, just sign up with your usual username/password. Any problems you can post them here
    Dismiss Notice

Outgoing Jakarta governor receives 2 year sentence for blasphemy

Discussion in 'Bali News - Indonesia News' started by balinews, May 9, 2017.

1. balinews

balinews Member

The North Jakarta District Court has found outgoing Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama guilty of blasphemy for suggesting that some people had abused a Quranic verse to block his re-election bid.

The panel of judges led by Dwiarso Budi Santiarso sentenced Ahok to two years in prison for his crime. “The defendant Ir. Basuki Tjahaja Purnama alias Ahok is proven guilty of committing blasphemy," Dwiarso said.

Ahok, whose term ends in October, has said he will appeal the verdict.

Ahok was initially charged with blasphemy under Article 156a of the Criminal Code and with defaming clergymen under Article 156. The prosecutors, however, dropped the blasphemy charge in their sentence demand, saying there was no evidence that the governor had committed blasphemy.

The prosecutors, therefore, demanded that Ahok be sentenced to two years’ probation and one year in prison if he reoffended.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2017/05/09/ahok-guilty-of-blasphemy-sentenced-to-two-years.html

2. tel522

tel522 Member

What a sad joke of a country and weak government , I wonder what justice we would get in the courts ? ah sorry I forgot its not a democracy as we know it .

Sorry for Ahok.

hecta likes this.
  3. Markit

Markit Well-Known Member

I struggle to understand this at all - if the prosecution has dropped the blasphemy charges how can:
    A) he be sentence for a crime that he didn't commit according to the prosecutors?
    B) be given a sentence "if he re-offended" if he didn't "offend" in the first place?

Was Franz Kafka Indonesian?

4. spicyayam

spicyayam Active Member

Just when you think things are improving here things like this happen. Disappointed of course, but not surprised.

5. JohnnyCool

JohnnyCool Active Member

Well, it’s quite simple really. The prosecutors dropped the blasphemy charge, so there was no case to prosecute and the judges of a then non-existent case (due to lack of evidence), decided otherwise. Makes sense to me, especially when I remind myself which country I’m living in. All you have to do is work out the answer to what is the square root of a negative question mark. Hint: the answer might be another imaginary number.

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy.
    Franz Kafka

6. tintin

tintin Active Member

I just woke up and haven't yet imbibe anything stronger than decaf coffee, yet...As for the sq root of a negative number, Khan does a better work than I can!

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/al...gebra-2/v/imaginary-roots-of-negative-numbers

7. Markit

Markit Well-Known Member

Tintin I loved the statement: i^i is, surprisingly, a real number: roughly 0.20788

I sure was surprised and I'm happy with the "rough" real number - what would an exact number be, how many places behind the decimal?

8. JohnnyCool

JohnnyCool Active Member

I was joking, of course. As for the numbers, I literally meant sqrt [-?] where ? could be plus or minus.
    Sorry, I’m a bit rusty on maths these days but did study the properties of i (the imaginary number) a long time ago. It’s a very weird and wonderful “thing” similar in some ways to the discovery and adoption of zero. Oh, and khanacademy is fantastic, too.